ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-01-2015, 05:42 PM   #1
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Opinions on first service

I called the dealership that serviced my 2006 Z4M for the previous owner, and they confirmed that my car hasn't had an Inspection I service. I just rolled up on 32000 miles this past weekend. I'm going to take it to a local indie that is familiar with the S54, and he already mentioned how the S54 likes a valve job about every 30K, and I detect some chatter around 2800-3400 RPMs that disappears when I hit 4000 RPM. That could be the VANOS, too, but it's not the loud clatter that occurs when the bolts are loose in the VANOS. This is subtle.

So, I wanted to ask for the wisdom of those who have been where I'm at, now. The previous car owner died, so I can't ask how he drove it. It appears it was a weekend, sunny day kind of car, and he liked his bike more than his Z4M. In other words, I'll drive it more in one year than he did in 5.

Here is what I'm considering. Opinions are very much appreciated.
  • Oil and Filter Change with new OEM Twin Turbo M oil
  • Brakes/Clutch Flush, Fill, and Bleed
  • Replace Trans and Diff Fluids? (shifting is a little more notchy going into 4th than I think is normal)
  • Inspect or just replace engine mount bolts for safety?
  • While on engine mounts, replace with Vibra-technics?
  • Check for broken springs
  • Valve check and shim as necessary
  • CDV Delete
  • Check drivetrain for excessive play
  • Anything else?

Loan a guy a dollar?

Salty

Last edited by SaltyNC; 12-01-2015 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: Added to list
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 06:50 PM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

All of the above. That's a pretty good list.
The right side motor mount may be cracked from the heat of the header under the heat shield where it's hard to see.
Check the power steering expansion hose for leaks and make sure it's not touching the oil pan.
Check the "guibo" for cracks.
Start planning what you're going to do when you eventually find you have a broken exhaust hub tab.
      12-01-2015, 07:30 PM   #3
CBS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10535, E90M3, E30M3, E28M5

Garage List
2017 Alpina B6 GC  [0.00]
2014 535xi M Sport  [0.00]
2014 X3 3.5 M Sport  [0.00]
2011 M3 E90  [9.74]
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [7.00]
1990 M3  [9.50]
1988 M5  [10.00]
^ Wow! I thought I was bad in having preventative maintenance performed on my vehicles! You Guys are good! Between the two of you, I now have a list I will need to do in the future. Thanks very much!

I have already introduced myself to Salty on a previous occasion (Hey Salty) so StickMon please allow me to say "Hello". I just acquired a (new to me) Z4MC and welcome any thoughts from the Forum on maintenance.

Sorry Salty to thread-Jack, your list looks really complete.

Cheers,

Chris

ESS VT-1 550 | M24 Oil Cooler | Fall Line Half Cage | RaceTech 4009W | 6 pt Harness | Lifeline Zero 360 Fire Suppression | Rear Seat Delete | Motion Control DA Dampers w/remote reservoirs | 900/650 Hyperco Springs | RD Sport Sway Bars | Brembo 380 BBK | GC Camber Plates | Hoosier R7 | Eisenmann Sport | Stack Gauges | Painted Challenge Front Lip | Painted ZCP Rear Spoiler | Xpel Ultimate Film | LuxAngelEyes
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #4
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Very good list there.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2015, 09:01 PM   #5
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
All of the above. That's a pretty good list.
The right side motor mount may be cracked from the heat of the header under the heat shield where it's hard to see.
Check the power steering expansion hose for leaks and make sure it's not touching the oil pan.
Check the "guibo" for cracks.
Start planning what you're going to do when you eventually find you have a broken exhaust hub tab.
Thanks for the additional suggestions, StickMon. I picked my son up from school and on the way home, we both heard a scary loud thump/pop on the passenger side of the car. We jumped. At the time, I thought I picked up a large rock or kicked up a stick and it had hit hard under the wheel well. When I got home, I inspected the car to make sure the body didn't have any damage. Do you think that could have been a motor mount bolt giving it up? Do the springs make a loud pop when they break?

I didn't know about the power steering hose. I'll add that to the list.

I'm pretty sure my drivetrain has too much play/slop. I know some clunking is normal, but I think what I'm experiencing is over the top. I'm going to have the entire drivetrain checked.

The exhaust hub tab you're referring to is with the VANOS, correct? I am considering doing a Dr. Vanos upgrade at some point in the not so distant future. Maybe sooner than I want. Did I read that you used Dr. Vanos? Do you think that is a good way to go?

Thanks again!

Salty
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 09:09 PM   #6
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS View Post
^ Wow! I thought I was bad in having preventative maintenance performed on my vehicles! You Guys are good! Between the two of you, I now have a list I will need to do in the future. Thanks very much!

I have already introduced myself to Salty on a previous occasion (Hey Salty) so StickMon please allow me to say "Hello". I just acquired a (new to me) Z4MC and welcome any thoughts from the Forum on maintenance.

Sorry Salty to thread-Jack, your list looks really complete.

Cheers,

Chris
Come on in, my friend, the water's warm.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2015, 09:10 PM   #7
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
Very good list there.
Thanks. I've been trying to do my homework. Reading the common problems thread has given me nightmares for the last two nights.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 09:28 PM   #8
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

If your motor mount bolts broke you would know it. The engine will be resting on the frame on the passenger side. It is more of a MC than MR issue. The noise you mention in the OP is typical of the S54. Mine has always made that noise in the RPM range you specified.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2015, 09:33 PM   #9
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
Very good list there.
Thanks. I've been trying to do my homework. Reading the common problems thread has given me nightmares for the last two nights.

Salty
You are doing the correct thing. Due diligence goes a long way in understanding what your car needs and what you want to add as preventative maintenance.

Sounds like you will be in great shape.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2015, 08:04 AM   #10
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
If your motor mount bolts broke you would know it. The engine will be resting on the frame on the passenger side. It is more of a MC than MR issue. The noise you mention in the OP is typical of the S54. Mine has always made that noise in the RPM range you specified.
Good to know. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 08:30 AM   #11
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Coupe

That's about exactly what I did for my first service when I bought the car at 40K.
-I also added Rogue trans mounts, which, in conjunction with VT mounts is a noticeable improvement.
-Tighten front shock mounts. Then tend to get loose on my car.
-Send your oil in to Blackstone Labs for testing (order a free collection kit from blackstone)
-I do my trans & diff fluids every year. I use Royal Purple in the trans.
-ZHP shift knob will make shifting a little more precise

Also, I recommend ordering the Mike Miller old school service guide, if you haven't already.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2015, 11:09 AM   #12
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkle View Post
That's about exactly what I did for my first service when I bought the car at 40K.
-I also added Rogue trans mounts, which, in conjunction with VT mounts is a noticeable improvement.
-Tighten front shock mounts. Then tend to get loose on my car.
-Send your oil in to Blackstone Labs for testing (order a free collection kit from blackstone)
-I do my trans & diff fluids every year. I use Royal Purple in the trans.
-ZHP shift knob will make shifting a little more precise

Also, I recommend ordering the Mike Miller old school service guide, if you haven't already.
Thanks, Funkle. I'll check the shock mount, and I plan to do an oil analysis. I want to make sure I don't have bearing issues. Has anyone done a trans oil analysis with Blackstone?

Did you notice any improvement in shifting using the RP trans oil?

I have the TIS, but I didn't know about the Mike Miller guide. I'll definitely check that out. Thanks much!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #13
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Coupe

I noticed an improvement, but not sure if it was the RP, or just the fact that the oil was replaced. Also, over time, you get used to the shifting quirks, and adjust to them.

You can contact Mike directly for the guide: mikemillerroundelmag[AT]drivewheels.hush.com
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2015, 01:35 PM   #14
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Good list. Welcome.

+1 on the ZHP shift knob. You can purchase an illuminated version from LeatherZ: http://leatherz.com/Merchant5/mercha...ory_Code=Knobs

I personally like RPI skid plates for security - those front bumper fangs are very low! http://shoprpi.com/product_info.php?products_id=46
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #15
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
... I thought I picked up a large rock or kicked up a stick and it had hit hard under the wheel well. ...
I think that's what it was.

Quote:
I didn't know about the power steering hose.
I may be the only one to have ever had this happen, but it's easy to check if you're under the car.

Quote:
The exhaust hub tab you're referring to is with the VANOS, correct? I am considering doing a Dr. Vanos upgrade at some point in the not so distant future. Maybe sooner than I want. Did I read that you used Dr. Vanos? Do you think that is a good way to go?
Yep, Vanos. It's a great device, but I think some of the details were designed on a Friday after a long lunch.
When I found my exhaust tab broken, I went to the Dr. V C300 hub (a.k.a. TurboToy, who's the M3 guy that makes them.)
About a year later I put on a Dr. V rebuilt Vanos, since I had to remove mine to replace my timing chain guide, and I figured at 120k miles it had a pretty good run.
      12-03-2015, 09:46 AM   #16
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

+1. I notice the noise does pretty much go away once the motor is completely and thoroughly warmed up.

One to add to the list: replace coolant (every 4 years). It's not really lifetime.

Questions:
1. Anyone have a picture of the steering hose and where it leaks from?
- [edit] Found a good thread here http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=451475
2. Guibo. We're talking about the drivetrain guibo, right (not steering)? What contributes to it cracking, age/mileage? And when typically do they need to be replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post

Last edited by elerner61; 12-03-2015 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2015, 11:38 AM   #17
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

I had a thread on finding the rub notch in my power steering hose, but it was years ago and I can't find it.
You can't miss it. It's a big trombone under the oil pan.
I heard that they used to weep at the crimp connections between the aluminum and rubber sections, and later the crimp was redesigned.

Yes, drivetrain guilbo. I think mine was just succumbing to age, and the environment here in SoCal. Nothing rubber lasts more than 10 years here.
It's easy to check each time you change the oil. Just shine a flashlight on it and look for cracks.
Only replace with a stock guibo. ECS used to advertise an "upgraded" one.
Somebody in this forum installed one and it broke immediately.
      12-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #18
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkle View Post
I noticed an improvement, but not sure if it was the RP, or just the fact that the oil was replaced. Also, over time, you get used to the shifting quirks, and adjust to them.

You can contact Mike directly for the guide: mikemillerroundelmag[AT]drivewheels.hush.com
Thanks, Funkle! Appreciate the info on the guide.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 01:18 PM   #19
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Good list. Welcome.

+1 on the ZHP shift knob. You can purchase an illuminated version from LeatherZ: http://leatherz.com/Merchant5/mercha...ory_Code=Knobs

I personally like RPI skid plates for security - those front bumper fangs are very low! http://shoprpi.com/product_info.php?products_id=46
Thanks, Kevin. Yeah, I really need those skid plates. I plan to have my bumper touched up and re-sprayed. I was thinking how could the previous owner have been so careless to scrape the fangs, and then I did it pulling into a parking lot that the entrance ramp was a little too steep. :-)

Salty
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #20
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. Sounds like most of my Christmas is going to be car parts. :-)
Appreciate 0