ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-15-2015, 01:37 PM   #1
kevinlindley1
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M Roadster

3rd Party warranty for 2006 Z4M

Hey all, I'm looking at purchasing a 2006 Z4M with 90k miles. I really liked the car and it drove like a champ...I'm getting a PPI done today and hopefully it comes back clean. However, according to the service history, it looked like the oil was only changed every ~15k miles or so which is a little concerning. So naturally I am looking into some kind of warranty, I just got a quote from Endurance Warranty which is A+ rated on the BBB. They said a 3 year/30k policy would run $3.9k. Do any of you guys have experience with any other insurance companies for your Z4s?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 01:50 PM   #2
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Think of it this way: What percentage of members on this forum have even had $3,900 of powertrain repairs over the past 3 years? I suspect way fewer than 50%. Maybe even 10%. That seems like a pretty good chunk of change that you'll never recover. I dunno, am I in the minority in thinking that third party extended warranties are just a big scam? They always seem to come up with an excuse for why something isn't covered.

FWIW that 15k sounds like the typical BMW-recommended interval if the previous owner just followed the service light. 15k miles or every 2 years according to BMW. I think almost everyone on here will change it every year or about 7500 miles (once in between each service light), but maybe we're just being anal.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #3
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

My advice would be to look into this company very diligently. When I purchased my second Z4M this past summer, I was offered a warranty through Route 66 for the 3/36k. The plan cost me around $1400 I believe, but the max payout is only $3k (make sure your policy has a much higher max payout due to the cost they are asking). I figured within the next three years something is going to break, and it will surely be over $1400 if it does so. I basically took a 50/50 chance on it paying off, no big deal either way. For $3900, that better be bullet proof, no-cost to you coverage for anything that breaks.

If I were you, I'd just research the hell out of that company. Route 66 has a tremendous reputation in the BMW community from everything I read. Finally, put zero faith in the BBB.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
kevinlindley1
Rep

OK I'll look into Route 66. And yea the service history shows that it was serviced every year very consistently - about every July which happened to be between 14k-15k miles. And they specifically told me that there was no max payout/cap on the policy, so that may be why its so expensive. They also sent me a sample contract which says something to the effect that they cover "breakdowns" but not "wear and tear," where breakdowns are due to defects and wear and tear is due to....everyday wear and tear. That does concern me, but at the same time these guys do have an A+ on the BBB with over like 200 reviews so I assume that they won't be ridiculous if I made a claim. But still I totally agree that this $4k plan may not be worth it. Considering my main concern is replacing the engine - which I read costs anywhere from $5k - $7k - I guess there isnt much to be saved if I make a payment $4k now for something that may only cost $5k in the future...Lol.

Edit: Just to add I also called my local Classic BMW dealer and asked if they had extended warranties for used BMWs. The guy said that BMW itself won't offer a warranty on any BMW over 80k miles. Of course that kind of shook my faith in the whole purchase when the manufacturer won't stand behind their own car after 80k miles. Lol its like saying "we make great cars...but not that great."

Last edited by kevinlindley1; 04-15-2015 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Ask your independent mechanic who he/she recommends for an aftermarket insurance, because they're the one that deals with trying to get the insurance company to pay...They're the ones that will most likely have the best idea as to who is the best/easiest to work with.

You DO have an independent mechanic, don't you? If you don't, find one immediately.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 03:17 PM   #6
kevinlindley1
Rep

Regardless, the PPI is over and they found...a lot. Lol. To sum it up, the mechanic said "unless you want a project car I'd avoid this one." There was a fairly long list of problems haha. I'll keep looking!! Thank God for PPIs haha.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 03:20 PM   #7
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlindley1 View Post
Regardless, the PPI is over and they found...a lot. Lol. To sum it up, the mechanic said "unless you want a project car I'd avoid this one." There was a fairly long list of problems haha. I'll keep looking!! Thank God for PPIs haha.
Just curious, did you go with BMW or an independent mechanic for the PPI? I used an independent for my PPI and they found nothing except for some visual imperfections. Since apparently nothing was wrong mechanically, I am wondering if I should've gone with BMW instead. I can still bring it into BMW to get another set of eyes on it and have them run it through the engine diag, but I'm looking for your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #8
kevinlindley1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
Just curious, did you go with BMW or an independent mechanic for the PPI? I used an independent for my PPI and they found nothing except for some visual imperfections. Since apparently nothing was wrong mechanically, I am wondering if I should've gone with BMW instead. I can still bring it into BMW to get another set of eyes on it and have them run it through the engine diag, but I'm looking for your thoughts.
It was an independent company named Autoscope theyre in Dallas, TX and I had read some reviews that they're extremely thorough. It cost $300 but they said their inspections last 3-4 hours, and it obviously paid off.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 05:04 PM   #9
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I would never buy an extended warranty on an older car. Price is too high and chances of coming out ahead are too low. Then throw in "sorry your car does X, it was part of wear and tear, not manufacturing defect, we aren't paying" and I would rather take my chances.
      04-15-2015, 07:09 PM   #10
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70
I would never buy an extended warranty on an older car. Price is too high and chances of coming out ahead are too low. Then throw in "sorry your car does X, it was part of wear and tear, not manufacturing defect, we aren't paying" and I would rather take my chances.
Yep. Better to build a reserve fund and self-insure. PPI is the first step and in this case it paid off!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 07:54 PM   #11
JCF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

Not covering, "wear and tear" seems like they're just taking your money. Everything can be considered wear and tear when it comes down to it.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 08:30 PM   #12
bgeorge0049
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si

Quote:
It was an independent company named Autoscope theyre in Dallas, TX and I had read some reviews that they're extremely thorough. It cost $300 but they said their inspections last 3-4 hours, and it obviously paid off.
Autoscope is awesome. They did all the service on my 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 09:15 PM   #13
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I think i went too cheap on my PPI. I only paid $149 for mine I think. I'm probably just going to bring it in for an Inspection II so I have peace of mind that everything is running ok. My PPI guy was a mobile mechanic so he didn't even get it on a lift to check the suspension Sounds like you got a pretty thorough inspection. It sucks to drop $300 on something you're not going to buy, but at least you're not stuck with a money pit in the future!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 11:56 PM   #14
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

lol, make no mistake, they are /ALL/ money pits >

congrats on the PPI mate, move along please, keep on looking