ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-16-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Inspection II @ Turner Motorsports

We all know they have a great online store for performance parts, but has anyone local used them for service? They are a bit far from me, about 50 miles, but I need to get an Inspection II done. The car's nearing 60k miles, so it'd be nice to get an experienced shop to take a good look at the car to see if any wear and tear items need to be replaced. I'm mainly looking for an experienced shop - I'm not too worried about price (any indy shop will be cheaper than the dealer right?)

Last edited by Twixboy; 04-28-2015 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 09:57 PM   #2
an3ony
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

hey man, there's a couple fantastic places on the North Shore, I go to Autobahn Performance (just had a PPI/battery install) in Peabody MA, but i've also been to Louie BMW in Danvers.

If you''re gun-shy about going to Turner, maybe talk to either one of those places.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 10:56 PM   #3
fullerra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
test test  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
I typically go there if I need service done. It is a bit out of the way though, esp if I think that the car may need to be there overnight.

If you are looking for routine maintenance stuff on a stock car then a dealer might not be too bad of an option (I don't think there is that much of an appreciable price difference)

If you need performance stuff done to the car, or you want them to do a pre-track day once over, Turner is the way to go.

Another option in MA is Fastrack in Peabody for corner balancing, and suspension work, plus they do some metal work/welding if you need. Scott and crew are fantastic, and get top marks in my book!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 08:27 AM   #4
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Thanks for the suggestions. I called around and found out Inspection II was going to take 4-5 hours of labor depending on the shop, so I figure I'd just take a day off and drive up to Turner to get it serviced. Tax free shopping just over the border while I wait.

Their Inspection II for non-M Z4 includes:

oil service, manual transmission fluid, diff fluid, brake fluid flush, coolant flush, engine air filter, cabin air filter, spark plugs, complete vehicle inspection and fault survey with factory BMW diagnostic software. Sounds pretty thorough, but is there anything else I should ask them do while it's there? I'd rather get everything done at once and not worry about maintenance for a while.

At 60k I am thinking:
-replace accessory and A/C belts
-CDV delete with clutch fluid flush: is that done with the brake flush or do I have to ask them to do it separately?
-replace coil packs or too early?
-save some oil for a Blackstone analysis: Do I have to bring a new uncontaminated container for them or is it okay if they use an empty quart-size motor oil container?
-inspect and clean DISA valve?
-any gaskets i should have replaced as preventive maintenance?

All suggestions welcome, thanks!

Last edited by Twixboy; 04-28-2015 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 09:01 AM   #5
DEG
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 MR

If you are getting a Blackstone analysis they will send you one of their containers. It's a lot easier that way.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #6
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
- It's wise to replace serpentine and A/C belts. The A/C belts on my '08 MC was already cracked with less than 38K...so it's more of an age thing rather than mileage for this.
- Clutch flush is just one extra step during brake flush. Don't think this is standard practice, so you may want to ask them just to make sure it's performed.
- I would only replace coil pack as they fail...that's just me. My 11.5 year old, 101k mile M54 X5 is still running on it's original coils - still purring along
- Just bring along the Blackstone sample bottle to minimize contamination and hassle.
- You can ask to inspect DISA valve for imminent failure, but I don't think it gets dirty. My M54 DISA failed at about 70k miles
- At that age, I would do water pump/thermostat, and all coolant hoses. Have them check for expansion tank cracks as well. Have them check for oil filter gasket leak too...just had to replaced mine recently on the X5.

Last edited by XMetal; 04-28-2015 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0