ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

3.0i to 3.0SI ecu convertion update!!

UPDATE : 04/25/12

Well after going back and forth for months we finally cracked it!

car is a demon! accelerated like my I has never done before.

car has driven now for almost a month now with the new software and the drivability is great and no lights or error codes, my engine is as of right now driving like a stock SI Z4.

NOTE: this is not a tune of the I software, this is SI engine tuning spliced into the stock I software so it makes the engine think its a tru SI not a tuned I.
theirfore more HP can be made over any tuned I map.

pretty cool stuff!

what’s coming next is tuned software for this conversion to squeeze out the remaining HP left.

I am planning to get the dyno done here soon and will be able to post numbers and the difference between the stock and new custom SI MAP.

the one thing the SI has over the standard I is the torque converter in the trans, it’s a slightly larger stall.

but the I has a tad higher rear end so it makes up a little bit so it’s probably barely noticeable, if you’re crazy you can always stick in the SI torque converter to finish the deal. also if you’re a stick shift then this won’t bother you.

once I have the new maps with the tuned software I will dyno all 3 so you guys can see the difference in action.

otherwise this should be the biggest gain in HP us N52 "I" guys can get for the money.

looking at going from 212HP to 275HP is the goal.

we will see. just wanted to keep you all updated.

Last edited by -c-; 04-25-2012 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
v3.0si
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4C 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
...problem is I have come to find out that the I and SI use different transmissions both automatic and manual, all have different part numbers...

...swap transmissions or torque converter as I’m not sure where the difference lies in the trans, they’re the same housing just something different that’s not listed.

any thoughts guys on what could be different between the transmissions on our cars between models? TRQ converter? other parts of some sort?
i think the only difference is the tq conv...

3.0i USA N52 trans PN = 24.00.7.573.807
3.0i USA N52 tq conv PN = not listed

2.5i ECE N52 trans PN = 24.00.7.573.807
2.5i ECE N52 tq conv PN = 24.40.7.585.401 (T85 = old)
2.5i ECE N52 tq conv PN = 24.40.7.588.738 (B121 = current)

3.0si USA N52 trans PN = 24.00.7.573.806
3.0si USA N52 tq conv PN = 24.40.7.585.400 (U85 = old)
3.0si USA N52 tq conv PN = 24.40.7.588.739 (A121 = current)

i don't see that anything else is different... BCM, trans hydraulic unit, brake booster, or otherwise... but that doesn't mean that the ratios are the same between the "806" and the "807". you're certainly blazing new trails. GL
      12-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

You need to find a tuner and strap the car down. Where do live?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 11:06 PM   #4
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

im in Naperville IL,

we feel it can be remidied I just ran the codes and 3 came up.

dont think i need a tuner right now, and working with a programmer as this mod is more than tuning and requires new programming and may be splicing involved (meshing 2 types of data) to get the kinks out but maybe not, ill know more soon.

the 3 codes are,

U0155

P1407

P1408

anybody have any ideas what they are, they keep showing up.

i think the first one has something to so with the IPC controll modual.

anyway this is the fun part of R&D right ....... lol

later guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
Drkreign
Rep
Drives: Stock except for the CDV delet

Are you running a manual or auto in your car? Cause if the physics of the ECU are the same between VW and BMW a auto setup relays info from the speed sensor to the tcm/ecu so that the ecu can monitor the true speed (from sensors) to the tcm speed and make sure that they match up.

Putting a auto ECU in a manual ECU and the car tends to buck at certain RPM's, not rev out to full RPM or put the car into limp mode. If you clear the code it runs great for one pull and then the ECU goes woah wtf! and you go back into limp mode and those symptoms happen again. All because there's no TCM to talk to. This happened in a swap of my friends GTI, so I know it is a pain. Now what happens if you run a manual in an auto........not sure, but possibly the same thing or it wont move at all. I will also note that with our official VW's scan tool we can't recode the ECU of a auto to match a manual with any car that is '99+

Not sure if that helps you at all but my first big question would be is the ECU from the SI with a matching transmission to yours (manual or Auto).

Also, great work to you for even attempting this! and even a lil
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Hey thanks man! Yea we pulled a donor ECU from a wrecked SI and it was confirmed to have the same transmission. What we are doing now is to drop the SI programming in where the I programming used to be this way all of our other programming remains the same except for the engine tune. Their are a few road blocks that BMW threw in their that gave us a curve ball but we are working around that stuff so pretty excited. I hope It will offer a great and cost effective mod for the z4 "I N52" community to get the most from their cars without going the SC route.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
Drkreign
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Hey thanks man! Yea we pulled a donor ECU from a wrecked SI and it was confirmed to have the same transmission. What we are doing now is to drop the SI programming in where the I programming used to be this way all of our other programming remains the same except for the engine tune. Their are a few road blocks that BMW threw in their that gave us a curve ball but we are working around that stuff so pretty excited. I hope It will offer a great and cost effective mod for the z4 "I N52" community to get the most from their cars without going the SC route.
Oh so you guys must be doing actual custom coding of the ECU then, lol, that's a little over my head then. It does make me wonder if the swap from a manual to a manual would make it easier.

You also broke my heart a little bit here, I was really hoping that this could be done on a M54 engine, I'd love to be around 260hp
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkreign View Post
Oh so you guys must be doing actual custom coding of the ECU then, lol, that's a little over my head then. It does make me wonder if the swap from a manual to a manual would make it easier.

You also broke my heart a little bit here, I was really hoping that this could be done on a M54 engine, I'd love to be around 260hp
That's what a supercharger is for
      01-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

yea it’s a tad custom. we thought it was a simple job of wiping the vin and replacing it with my vin at first as everything was the same between the I and SI, but later found out that there is a slight difference with the tourqe converter. but that shouldent have posed a problem as the car still drove and started just fine and ran great. the problem is it seemed like the clutch was slipping when you hammered it.

we looked in deeper and found their are other parts of the car within the guage cluster programming and other parts that caused a fualt these where why i was still showing faults on the code reader, so their is other programming other than the ECU that tells the car its an I or an SI. so what we are dooing now is taking my I ecu and just removing the engine programming and replacing it with the SI programming vs. just using SI programming. so even manual transmissions will have to be done this way as the problem isn’t centered around the transmission.

I should have the reworked ECU in a week or two and will let you know.

from what I’ve been told a ECU with this recoding will give us the power of the SI and when they add the tuned SI ESS software on top of that a possible 15 HP will be added. So 270hp is possible.

we will have to wait and see.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
Drkreign
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psygnosis View Post
That's what a supercharger is for
Oh if it were only that simple.........$800 for Ecu = from my wallet, $7k = from my wallet

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkreign View Post
Oh if it were only that simple.........$800 for Ecu = from my wallet, $7k = from my wallet

True but then again us I-N52 owners dont really have a tried and tru SC option as the M54 does. (jelouse) at least this will give us the close to 60HP that we cant get through forced induction. the good news is this mod is under a grand for almost 60HP and is quite the bargain! considering some cold air intakes run close to what it will cost and give no real increases.

best part is, even a novice can do it and no speacial tools are required. Also your running stock BMW programming (going from 212HP to 255HP) if you wish, so others that dont trust aftermarket tunes can sleep easy at night. While others that want that extra 15HP (270HP) can opt for the tuned software instead.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

UPDATED : 04/25/12

please read OP

MODS sorry for the dual threads, i just wanted to update both.

Last edited by -c-; 04-25-2012 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 08:28 AM   #13
domkotlow
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

3.0i to 3.0si Tune

Hi, I realize this thread is a bit dated, but hoping someone can advise me on how to proceed. I followed the bimmerlabs 3.0i to 3.0si tune...RSA delete followed by the MSV70 3.0i to 3.0si tune. Noticed significant performance improvement, however after about 20 miles the Engine Maintenance Required Soon light pops up. Code reader presents the same 3 error codes noted in previous threads: U0155, P1407, and P1408. Attempted to clear these several times, but they keep coming back. I've been struggling with this issue for at least 2 months and would appreciate any help here. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 07:08 PM   #14
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Download ISTAD and buy a cable to connect your laptop to car.
It’s BMW specific software used by BMW techs and has the TIS baked into it. Handheld scanners just don’t cut it….

Dig into the software errors to get the probable cause diagnose… and then follow the diagnosis/repair procedures.

Read all the diagnosis possibilities and then decide on which one to start on first.

Also clear codes with the software and drive again to see what replicates before doing any sort of repair.

Google ISTAD to get info on the software and YouTube tutorials.
      11-14-2023, 09:36 PM   #15
domkotlow
United_States
Rep

3.0i to 3.0si Tune

Clearancediver, is this something I can do with INPA & NCSExpert?

Last edited by domkotlow; 11-14-2023 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 02:07 AM   #16
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep

ISTAD is the “new” version of INPA with the TIS Incorporated.

Superior to INPA. INPA is easier to use for some aspects having said that. But you can’t beat ISTAD for diagnostic use. …

ISTAP is the programming BMW software.. Have it but never learned to use it.

NCS Expert and NCS Dummy still do the job ….
      11-15-2023, 08:53 AM   #17
Benjamino4946
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i 6spd

Hi! I'm having the same issue, when I read my codes using INPA, I got 2DE1, 2DE2, and 2DE3 codes. This seems to be related to an instrument cluster mismatch of some kind from the files on BimmerLab. From what I understand, BimmerLabs provided a modified version of the 7623588.0da file with something called a "powerbyte" changed and it doesn't seem to work totally error-free for cars pre Oct-2006. Further reading gives that USA 3.0si up to Oct 2006 should be using a modified 7623587 and USA 3.0si from Oct 2006 should be using a modified 7623585.

I've reached out to Bimmerlabs through the contact us to get clarification, but their site's security certificate has since expired...

If someone has a 3.0i to 3.0si tune file that worked for pre Oct-2006 production date E85 cars, please share it. My account doesn't have enough posts to DM people or I'd ask diedvdijk, the user who had and solved this problem, for their file.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 06:33 PM   #18
domkotlow
United_States
Rep

Benjamino,
Try: https://www.bimmerlabs.com/unauthorized

I've had the same issue bringing up the bimmerlabs site....but this link seems to work.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 07:09 AM   #19
mmm-five
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC + 2015 320D M-Sport

I can't get in either...

https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/bimmerlabs.com?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 08:22 AM   #20
domkotlow
United_States
Rep

Clearancediver, I went to BIMMERDIAGNOSTICS.COM to download ISTA+, and according to them ISTA it is not compatible with E85. Has anyone used it do diagnose issues on an E85?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 08:35 PM   #21
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

I do. It works
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 08:57 PM   #22
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep

They’re full of ……. To be blunt…. It works, I’ve been using it for the past 6 or so years. You can google it for YouTube tutorials etc…..