ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Any X-Pipe options other than SS?

Now that BMS is out of bussiness, are there any X-Pipe options other than SS?

Im planning my mods, and debating the way to go. SS stepped headers seem to offer the best HP, but are only available with the oversized straight through section 1 pipes. I'm concerned about drone, and considering AA or Fabspeed headers with stock section one, RPI exhaust, and SS X. I'm also considering having something fabbed, but wanted to see what was out there...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
mimsterzx7r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 M Roadster, 03 Pathfinder

I asked the Arqray rep awhile back if they were going to make a x-pipe. He told me that they were working on the xpipe. That was 6 months ago, I doubt they're still working on it.

In regards to the xpipe, I know its lighter but is it more for sound or are there performance benefits as well? I think there's a resonator at the cross point of the xpipe so I'm assuming the exhaust would be louder.

Here's an article from European car that we've all read I'm sure. The performance benefits from the xpipe and powerloops were minimal.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/projec...car/index.html

And here's some dyno charts from a Euro M Coupe/Roadster from the European Supersprint website. They dyno'd a stock Z4M, then compared to powerloops, then xpipe with race. I wish they would have a compared the xpipe with and without powerloops to see what kind of difference the xpipes really make.

http://www.supersprint.com/USPG000bmwZ410.asp

Does the Supersprint race cans with xpipe really produce that much more power than the Supersprint powerloop with xpipe?

ZHP knob/Zeckhausen CDV/ESS Tune/More to come
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

More than I expected power wise...

Maybe I'll do the SS full setup (though probably the RPI for the rear), and just have some resonators welded into the connecting pipes. I think two 5.5" resonators would eliminate drone...

If the XPipes are worth that much power with Euro headers they're a good buy.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
mimsterzx7r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 M Roadster, 03 Pathfinder

You mean welding the resonators before the secondary cats on the connecting pipe? I guess that could work, maybe a compromise for us living in the city. I live in downtown next to courthouses and lots of police cruisers around. I don't want to be drawing attention to myself with a loud exhaust.

ZHP knob/Zeckhausen CDV/ESS Tune/More to come
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

The SS cat pipes are obscenely overpriced, so I'd just get the catless pipes and stick resonators in those. If I wanted catted pipes, I'd just buy high flow cats myself and have them welded in. Alternatively, I could have resonators installed in the X-Pipe.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 11:06 PM   #6
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

Just installed the ss x-pipe and powerloops. Bought mine 2nd hand from mtheory. Sound is great, power gain minimal. Look mean and engraved horsies are definitely a nice touch. There is the mildest of drones around 2-3k rpms, but it's by no means ricey. A resonator might be nice, especially if I put some headers on. The sound is incredible, like a ferrari when you rev it just to 2k. Revving the engine to 2k at stop lights becomes addictive.
Keep in mind that if you get the race cans and add headers and x-pipe the car may exceed the legal decibel level.

2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe -SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0