ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
bk+
Rep
Drives: '08 white Z4 MC [wanted]

Question Which Z4 is right for me?

Hi there.

I'm hoping to buy a used Z4 in the coming months, and am looking to spend around $30k. Originally I was looking for an '06 - '08 MC, exclusively in white, though red has grown on me a little; however they are quite hard to find. For a similar price, though, I could get a 2009, and have a hardtop convertible, which would actually be sweet... I'm just not clear on the differences (which I'm sure are many), other than stylistical ones. I really lean towards the MC in the looks dep't but I'm sure the hardtop would make up for that; I don't really want a soft-top convertible (e.g. roadster) though.

So, any help would be appreciated; I have located all of like 2 white MC's for sale and they are both like 2000+ miles away from me (in DC). I'd hope to test drive before buying so not into the whole shipping it without seeing it thing.

Thanks a bunch!

PS I'm 6'2 - will I even fit into one of these cars? My torso is extra long too so my head can hit ceilings easily...

Thanks again,
BK
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk+ View Post
PS I'm 6'2 - will I even fit into one of these cars? My torso is extra long too so my head can hit ceilings easily...
I'm 6'5" and have 1" head room. No problems. It would seem that the MC provides slightly more head room due to the curvature of the roof, but I do not know. I test drove a soft top MR and don't recall my head rubbing. I don't know what difference 3" makes, but I need to bow my head significantly to look up at street lights or see out the rear view. A necessary compromise for this awesome machine.

My head does rub the roof when I have a helmet on.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Hi there.

I'm hoping to buy a used Z4 in the coming months, and am looking to spend around $30k. Originally I was looking for an '06 - '08 MC, exclusively in white, though red has grown on me a little; however they are quite hard to find. For a similar price, though, I could get a 2009, and have a hardtop convertible, which would actually be sweet... I'm just not clear on the differences (which I'm sure are many), other than stylistical ones. I really lean towards the MC in the looks dep't but I'm sure the hardtop would make up for that; I don't really want a soft-top convertible (e.g. roadster) though.

So, any help would be appreciated; I have located all of like 2 white MC's for sale and they are both like 2000+ miles away from me (in DC). I'd hope to test drive before buying so not into the whole shipping it without seeing it thing.

Thanks a bunch!

Thanks again,
BK
09 is the first year of the E89, totally different chasis, motor, interior... everything is new/different. Not to mention if you are looking at the MC, the e89 doesn't come in a M-trim, so no LSD neither.
      03-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I am 6'1 or so, and I have a good amount of room, I can easily fit in there with a helmet. I have fairly long legs, and I find that the leg room is a little lacking but not bad. I can fully extend my legs if I go behind the pedals which is OK. Another 3-6" of leg room would be really nice.

I think anyone taller than 6'5" would have some real issues in a coupe.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
bk+
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
09 is the first year of the E89, totally different chasis, motor, interior... everything is new/different. Not to mention if you are looking at the MC, the e89 doesn't come in a M-trim, so no LSD neither.
I'm still unsure if I want to track it or not... guess I should come to that conclusion first; the MC would be better in that case - otherwise the '09 probably has a more up-to-date interior, etc like you mention.

Thanks for the info - didn't know that.

Also I may be moving if I get a new job (interview #2 tomorrow!) and there may be much better roads for driving... spirited-ly... on, as it were. So that may influence me towards the M, though a hardtop convertible, again, might be nice.

Decisions, decisions!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

2 totally different cars. different generation for one, and the driving characteristics are total opposites. the e89 drives more like a 3series. smoother, more electronics....the z4m is an m series car, and is more "aggressive" in both the drive and styling. i would recommend going on youtube and searching some reviews/test drives of both to see them more in depth
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

bk, have you ever driven an M coupe? If you don't have any intention of tracking the car, the M might not be the best decision... If you want something to take on longer road trips, IMO, the M coupe isn't the best choice. It's pretty rough even in it's stock form, in my opinion.. It's an amazing handler, but if you're not dead set on having a performance car, you might consider the other ones. The regular Z4 will be more comfortable and not cost you as much in maintenance...

Don't get me wrong, I love my M coupe, but I think anything longer than a 4 hour road trip might start to get old.

After all, if you're not tracking the car most of the performance advantages don't really matter on the street.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
philjw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

As someone who has both an e89 and an e86 in his garage, I'd say you definitely need to get out there for some test drives. Very different cars, although I love them both. As others have said, the newer Z4 is much more comfortable and refined. And if you have the N54/N55 engine, you'll love all of the torque available for around-town driving. The Z4M is more raw, and--unless you're taking long trips--more fun in my view. Even if you don't take it to the track, this is more of a pure sports car and less of the luxury cruiser that is the e89. Happy test driving!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #9
bk+
Rep

Thanks for the input all.

I go on lots of long trips and am not dead-set on tracking so perhaps the non-M coupe would be for me.

I found two that are interesting, both white, one '07 and one '09:

This one ('07 coupe) in Austin caught my eye; quite far but could be worth a trip; it's $27,900 with the sport package and premium package and is BMW certified (whatever that is) with warranty left - seems like an ok deal to my untrained eye? KBB seems to say $25k.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...teo&listType=1

This one seems interesting to me too, at $32,900, it's the '09, with the hard-top feature which would be sweet, and such. It has super low miles too (only 23k):

Anyway I am pretty dead set on white, manual, and no soft-tops... so that narrows down the field a lot.

Any input would be awesome; thanks again for all the helpful stuff so far!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #10
FreeParking
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 z4///m coupe, 99 540i-6 /M

IMHO

BK...get what you want. Narrow the choice down by doing your research first, pull car faxes, talk with owner or dealer...see which one sounds best to you. smoker, non smoker, color, transmission, trim, stereo, tire condition, records, etc...Ask questions and have a pre purchase inspection done on the one that seems best. If that comes back ok ...if not then do the other one...

you're only going to be here once...do your best to live it to the fullest...again IMHO

Good Luck...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #11
bk+
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeParking View Post
BK...get what you want. Narrow the choice down by doing your research first, pull car faxes, talk with owner or dealer...see which one sounds best to you. smoker, non smoker, color, transmission, trim, stereo, tire condition, records, etc...Ask questions and have a pre purchase inspection done on the one that seems best. If that comes back ok ...if not then do the other one...

you're only going to be here once...do your best to live it to the fullest...again IMHO

Good Luck...
Good call. Thanks man. Leaning towards the '09 now, if it's still around when I can make it to Michigan. If it doesn't pan out I'll check out the other one like you said.

Excited!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #12
FreeParking
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 z4///m coupe, 99 540i-6 /M

Good Luck, that is a nice looking ride...the impt stuff is there...and the best of both worlds hardtop and convertible...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #13
zBone
Megatron
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB Z4MC

Quote:
Thanks for the input all.

I go on lots of long trips and am not dead-set on tracking so perhaps the non-M coupe would be for me.

I found two that are interesting, both white, one '07 and one '09:

This one ('07 coupe) in Austin caught my eye; quite far but could be worth a trip; it's $27,900 with the sport package and premium package and is BMW certified (whatever that is) with warranty left - seems like an ok deal to my untrained eye? KBB seems to say $25k.

This one seems interesting to me too, at $32,900, it's the '09, with the hard-top feature which would be sweet, and such. It has super low miles too (only 23k):

Anyway I am pretty dead set on white, manual, and no soft-tops... so that narrows down the field a lot.

Any input would be awesome; thanks again for all the helpful stuff so far!
I don't think that 3.0si coupe is a great deal. That's very close to M Coupe $.

And I take plenty of long road trips (heading to Memphis this Spring, 10-12 hours) and I have absolutely zero problems with the Moupe. I don't get the hesitation to take these cars long distance.

As someone who doesn't track their car (yet), I don't think its a bad compromise in any aspect. No, you're not going to get a 100% out of the car as a DD, but that's not what everyone buys these for.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #14
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

If you end up looking at an SDrive 35i, be aware that for 2009, they had a lot of trouble with the high pressure fuel pumps used for the turbo-charged engine in that car. You will need to be sure that the issues was properly repaired in any such car. It was fixed as I understand in subsequent model years.

And the SDrive 30i doesn't use high pressure fuel pumps so its not a worry in that car.

Good luck!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #15
silverfishZ4M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

If I had to choose between the 2, I'd go with the 2009. The 2007 is priced too high for a non-M model. The 2009 might still be under the 4 yr factory warranty depending on the in-service date.
BMW Certified (CPO) means if there is anything wrong you can take it to the BMW dealer and get whatever needs to be fixed for free (but there is a $50 deductible, and wear-and-tear items such as brakes would not be covered). It is a 6 yr/100k miles warranty.
On a side note, I have driven the M Coupe on a couple 6 hour trips and it wasn't a problem. I'm really small though so that might have something to do with my comfort level?
If the 2009 was closer I would offer to take a look for you, but it's an hour away in an area I never go to, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #16
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
If you end up looking at an SDrive 35i, be aware that for 2009, they had a lot of trouble with the high pressure fuel pumps used for the turbo-charged engine in that car. You will need to be sure that the issues was properly repaired in any such car. It was fixed as I understand in subsequent model years.

And the SDrive 30i doesn't use high pressure fuel pumps so its not a worry in that car.

Good luck!
Dont they cover HPFP lifetime now? I could be wrong.

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #17
David-R
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4 35i

For the price difference, I would definitely say go for the 09. I just picked up my 2009 35i about 3 weeks ago and love every aspect of it. I didn't think I would even bother with the hardtop convertible, but man is it nice when you put that down.

The e89 seems like a great car if you're in to just cruising rides, cruising along a lake, cruising through the mountains, with the roof down. Just living life having fun. That's what I'm in to and love this car. On top of that, it still has enough balls to really romp on it and run through the gears. It isn't as performance based as the Moupe, but I think it comes down to your style.

If you're a die-hard performance guy, and want that extra edge, or want to track it, and that's what you're really into, I'd say go for the Moupe. But as more of an overall all around car, I'd say go for the 2009.

People might disagree but that's my opinion. I found my 35i for around $34,000 with around 25k miles. The deals are out there. If you're a performance guy, I'd say try to find a white e89 35i and jump on that.

Here's one in Virginia, it might be a little more than you'd like to spend, but I just did a quick search.

EDIT: In regards to your second question, I'm also 6'2 and I tell everybody how comfortable this car is.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #18
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

The e89 looks much better with the mtech package. Overall you will get a lot more car in an e86 m coupe.
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #19
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMOUPE View Post
Dont they cover HPFP lifetime now? I could be wrong.

I thought that BMW extended the warranty on the HPFP for a period of a few extra years. I'm not certain, but its something any prospective 2009 SDrive 35i owner should check into and be comfortable with.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #20
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

I have the M Roadster and I drove a 2010 35i that the dealer was pushing me to trade mine in for. GREAT car! Refined, all of the toys that mine lacks, but... I just love the raw feel my car has. Like everyone else has said, depends on your preference. But, just want to warn you once you drop that top nothing is ever the same. I'd say go for the E89, Bets of Both Worlds!
      03-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #21
bmwschnell
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M coupe; '22 Ford Raptor

You might want to check out this dealership in Cincinnati. They have lots of toys. The specialize in BMW M.

http://enthusiastauto.com/
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #22
Lark
Gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i Dinan S3/'13 BoxsterS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I thought that BMW extended the warranty on the HPFP for a period of a few extra years. I'm not certain, but its something any prospective 2009 SDrive 35i owner should check into and be comfortable with.
As of August 3, 2010:

BMW has extended the emissions warranty coverage period to 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, on these vehicles in all 50 States. This emissions warranty extension is on-file with the Environmental Protection Agency and listed as a Voluntary Emissions Recall, #10E-W01. If the HPFP fails during the extended warranty coverage period, BMW will replace it with a newer-production version.

The anecdotal evidence is that the new pump and/or new software update has substantially fixed the issue. Used to be a constant source of threads on 3 series forums, however, virtually never hear about it now. Mine was replaced on my 335 about 2 years ago and have not had another problem.
2009 335i/Coupe/Dinan S3
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si
Appreciate 0