ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

Checking interest in windscreens

I made my own windscreen and havent been happy with the Lexan plastic I used as it scratches easily.
Of course I may just be picky because spotted and dirty windows is one of my pet peeves but, I am having a hard time finding a good scratch risistant plexi glass.
If I can find a good scratch risistant matieral I would be willing to use my pattern and cut these out in large numbers and sell to other roadster owners.
Heres the original project. http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307269
I just need a good quality plastic.
Anyone know of a scratch resistant plexi glass?
And is anyone interested in one If I find it?
      06-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Z@T
Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Vantage, 997, ModelX

I'm interested! Just got the sock on mine and hate it.

I would love to have one just with a Z

What is your price range?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z@T View Post

I guess that would depend on the plastic. Not alot of info on line and was hoping someone here had good info.
Will keep you posted.
      06-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Why not make it in mesh like the OEM screen? Cuts down on overly bright headlights at night as well.
      06-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
Z@T
Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMz4
Quote:

I guess that would depend on the plastic. Not alot of info on line and was hoping someone here had good info.
Will keep you posted.
The link you posted one guy said acrylic would be a better and also cheaper material. (Post 10)

I love your solution and since I never touch the screen, scratches shouldn't be a problem or do I miss something?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Why not make it in mesh like the OEM screen? Cuts down on overly bright headlights at night as well.
Hmm, Have to think about a re-design for that.
      06-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The link you posted one guy said acrylic would be a better and also cheaper material. (Post 10)

I love your solution and since I never touch the screen, scratches shouldn't be a problem or do I miss something?
The lexan I used was from Lowes as well and is very soft. Wiping with a cloth rag or paper towel, even just dusting with a Swiffer will cause swirls. You'll notice them mostly at night with headlights behind you. Like I said, I'm kind of anal about crystal clear windows.
I ruled out acrylic as it is more brittle and harder to work with, plus it shards if anything hits it at high speed. I haven't actually tried living with a piece long term but maybe I will just to see what happens.
      06-11-2013, 01:46 AM   #8
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMz4 View Post
Hmm, Have to think about a re-design for that.
Would be cool if you could figure it out, the oem solution is pretty expensive because of the covers you need to buy (if it wasn't for that it'd be well priced). But according to bmw mesh works better.
      06-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
Z@T
Pilot
United_States
Rep

I'm ready to play guinea pig.

The Wind screen "sock" I have right now makes me every time I see my car.

What material do they use?
http://www.windblox.com/styles/bmw_z4_windblocker.htm

Your design is not comparable to this ugly Velcro solution

EDIT: Never mind about the material they use. Standard clear acrylic or you can upgrade to Lexan
Quote:
This option is for 1/4 inch abrasion resistant Lexan material. This material is a virtually indestructible material suitable for high impact applications, such as bullet resistant windows, boat windshields, lightweight bicycle gear sprockets, etc. This is abrasion resistant lexan, with a 10 year manufacture's warranty, and does not yellow with sun exposure. Paradoxically, lexan is actually a soft material, so this AR Polycarbonate is specially formulated lexan designed to resist minor scruffs, wear, and constant exposure to the elements. You will come to very much appreciate this abrasion lexan offered only by Windblox for years after your purchase.

Last edited by Z@T; 06-13-2013 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
Z@T
Pilot
United_States
Rep

A friend of mine just send me the info of his Wind screen he purchased a while ago.

I Germany you need to have the TÜV approval and they use car safety glass ESG:
Quote:
Windshield- middle part for
BMW Z4 E85
made of special car glass (ESG)
Like this one:
http://www.ur-windschott.de/mediapoo...85_03_2013.pdf

and the sides are made out of Makralon?!
http://www.ur-windschott.de/mediapoo...nsaetze_2_.pdf
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Might be a dumb idea/question, but why can't we take a nice/new/clean/scratch-free plexiglass piece and source some of those hard clear screen protector type films to overlay? Those things will never scratch/spiderweb while cleaning... I'm not talking about the Invisible Shield type films that have the orange peel texture, I'm talking about the cheap glossy/clear plastic films. The only issue I can see with this (other than sourcing large pieces) is that if you're not careful with what material you use to wipe it off, lint would collect at the edges.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
partlowr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 Roadster

I am in plastics, have been for close to 20 years now. The word "plexiglass" is a term used for Polymethyl methacrylate, which is actually a form of Acrylic. "Lexan" is actually Polycarbonate, Lexan is just a trademark name given to it by GE who originally engineered the polymer way back in the late 60's. Molecularly both materials are very similar make-up and have simalr properites. Both materials are very strong, polycarbonate is what is used to make most "bullet proof glass". Strong as it is it is very prone to scratching due to the direction the molecules bind in, great impact strength but not good for scratch resistance. Many of todays LED/LCD TV screens are made of a form of polycarbonate, but they are made from either coextruded material or laminated material, this is where they bond a layer of polycarbonate with a cap sheet/layer of another film that is more scratch resistant. Most of todays' eyeglass lenses are made from polycarbonate with scratch resistant coatings aplied to them. There are various different polymers they use for these cap sheets depending on application. For reference you can look up the "Vickers Hardness Chart Test" to compare where different material fall in terms of their hardness.

Corning devloped a product called "Gorilla Glass" this is the stuff most smartphone screens and tablets are made from. It is a glass but it's properties are more similar to a plastic. It is pretty much the product of the future but I have no idea how it is to work with or cut.

There is a company out there called Regal Plastic that sells lower quantities of polycarbonate sheeting with a scratch resistant coating but I have no idea what their minimum buy would be.

There are tons of companies that make Polycarbonate and Polymethyl Methacrylate, I would stress to you to use those descriptions in your searches as opposed to "Lexan" or "Acrylic" as every company that manufacures the stuff has their own trade name for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info. I was hoping someone in the forum had more information.
      06-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #14
partlowr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMz4 View Post
Thanks for the info. I was hoping someone in the forum had more information.
No worries, hopefully Regal can help, not sure if how low of volume they deal in or if they have any minimum buy requirements. Ironically enough I just ordered the Roadsters Solutions wind blocker earlier this week.

Just a thought, I wonder if there is a clear window tint film available. That stuff is very scratch resistant and you could just have it applies to both sides of the polycarbonate. I know one of my neighbors just had some UV tint applied to their house windows and it it not tinted, it just has kind of a reflective sheen but not mirrored or anything like that.

Last edited by partlowr; 06-14-2013 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #15
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by partlowr View Post
No worries, hopefully Regal can help, not sure if how low of volume they deal in or if they have any minimum buy requirements. Ironically enough I just ordered the Roadsters Solutions wind blocker earlier this week.

Just a thought, I wonder if there is a clear window tint film available. That stuff is very scratch resistant and you could just have it applies to both sides of the polycarbonate. I know one of my neighbors just had some UV tint applied to their house windows and it it not tinted, it just has kind of a reflective sheen but not mirrored or anything like that.
This might be a great way of doing this with a light tint to it which I think would look great as well. Lexan with a light tint film!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #16
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike519 View Post
This might be a great way of doing this with a light tint to it which I think would look great as well. Lexan with a light tint film!
That would be a simple solution. I tested a window tint film from pep boys and had a problem with adhesion due to the windscreen flexing in the wind. It caused the window tint to to buckle and bubble. Literally peeled away from the plexiglass surface. I did not contact professional window tint company, I suppose they may have a stronger adhesive.
      06-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #17
Z@T
Pilot
United_States
Rep

Any Updates?

What's about painting the Wind screen with an clear code? That would protect and wont fly off like the film.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #18
bassrebel
The Lazy one...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 C300 4Matic

I'd love to have a windscreen, but since I pull my top up manually it would be impossible to access it with the windscreen, so it's a no-go for me
      06-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #19
Z@T
Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassrebel View Post
I'd love to have a windscreen, but since I pull my top up manually it would be impossible to access it with the windscreen, so it's a no-go for me

The open button is still free to press since the screen is behind it.

You could order the OEM screen with manual top.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #20
bassrebel
The Lazy one...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 C300 4Matic

Quote:

The open button is still free to press since the screen is behind it.

You could order the OEM screen with manual top.
I should've specified... the motor is not working, or not working enough, therefore it doesn't lift the top, I have to press the button, and then manually pull it up and press the button again it order to close it
      06-22-2013, 12:51 AM   #21
thelinux
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3si

How about applying some xpel protection film ? It protects UV lights and scratch resistant?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #22
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

I'm somewhat interested in the mesh screen if you have a reasonably priced solution. I don't mind the wind, but it irritates my wife now and then, especially when it gets cool in Fall. Never really considered a plastic screen because it doesn't OEM to me, and I worry about headlight glare.
Appreciate 0