ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Z4M wheels options? TPMS needed?

Hi guys. Picked up a new 2006 Z4M this weekend with 32k on the odometer and am looking at changing out the factory 18" wheels and had few questions.

1) My car has a TPMS button but when I press it I get nothing. No light. No indication in the dash so does this mean its not working OR that I don't have TPMS mounted in the factory wheels? Confusing as I am coming from an e92 M3 which I sold which had a more ah graphic representation of TPMS status! LOL

2) Am looking at aftermarket wheels possibly 19x8.5 ET35 Front and 19x9.5 ET22 Rear for the car. Will this set up work? Do I need to buy new TPMS sensors (if the current wheels don't have them - see above) and if so which ones work? Am looking at Tire Rack for a number of possibilities and understand they will mount sensors, tires, and wheels for shipment together at a unit cost. Has anybody mounted anything larger like 20" wheels, is this an option?

3) Car has a set of 18" Pilot Sport A/S already mounted on it but not sure for how long and look to have some tread left but less than 1/2 so what is the average tread span life? If I am upgrading to 19" then this would be a better option to order wheels/tires together.

4)What do folks use for winter tires if any? Don't get snow currently in Texas where I am stationed but have a set of 18" wheels and snow tires from my M3 which I may keep if they'd fit and work for snow duty so is keeping them for that role vs selling them a better option?

Thanks
Md
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Take a look at this post for #2. Cars built after Oct 06 (read post for details) have TPMS built into the wheels; those before use another method.

TPMS will show an error in the instrument cluster when the warning is active. Otherwise there is no indicator. I don't believe pushing it when the warning isn't active is going to show you a thing; then again I don't go pushing it much except to clear an error or after adding air. Car isn't with me, or I'd go look.

Every now and then mine loses synch with the monitoring system and I have to press the TPMS to clear the error light (after I check the tire pressures of course).

Some of these questions are probably answered in the manual. Here are few places to find it if yours didn't come with one--I don't have a lot of the details memorized so I find myself referring to it from time to time. Link
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

1) the easiest way to tell if u have tpms is to look at ur valvestems. rubber valvestems = flat tire monitor, metal valvestems = tpms. if u have either system, pressing and holding the corresponding button on the center console above the ashtray will recalibrate the system and produce a amber tire-looking light on the dashboard. after approximately 5-10 seconds of driving, the amber light should extinguish indicating the system has recalibrated itself for ur current tire pressures. i use 32psi front and 30psi rear to dial out some understeer for ur reference.

2) those wheel widths and offsets will fit perfectly flush with the fenders and zero rub whatsoever with the recommended tire sizes (235/35, 265/30). note that with 19's, u will have a more noticeable wheel gap and a small difference in overall tire diameter, which mildly affects speedometer readout. 20's will also fit if u so choose.

3) all-seasons should last about double that of summer tires, so expect another 15,000 to 20,000 miles with half the original tread depth remaining.

4) where are u stationed in texas? granted i experience no snow and lowest temps of about the teens yet run just fine with the stock oem summer continentals.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
I was under the impression all Z4M got TPMS but could be wrong. If you don't have TPMS installed on a car that should have it, or are having a TPMS error, there will be a light illuminated on your dash like the 3rd one down in the pic of my dash (I took mine out, just adds weight, makes wheels harder to balance, and I can live with the light). Other than that, there's no problem with running w/o sensors, provided you remain conscious of your tire pressure, which I hope you do anyway

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

It was a model year change for '07+

'06 uses the ABS system to monitor.
'07+ uses in tire TPMS

IIRC this was due to a gov reg change
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
It was a model year change for '07+

'06 uses the ABS system to monitor.
'07+ uses in tire TPMS

IIRC this was due to a gov reg change
Interesting...doubt it was a reg change...FWIW my 07 335 had the old "algorithmic" style of tire pressure "estimating"
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 06:48 AM   #7
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

I believe it was a Cars built in the U.S. Regulatory change. All 2006's have TPWS.

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/bmwcorpor...tml?selPage=10
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 07:20 AM   #8
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06/Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
1) the easiest way to tell if u have tpms is to look at ur valvestems. rubber valvestems = flat tire monitor, metal valvestems = tpms. if u have either system, pressing and holding the corresponding button on the center console above the ashtray will recalibrate the system and produce a amber tire-looking light on the dashboard. after approximately 5-10 seconds of driving, the amber light should extinguish indicating the system has recalibrated itself for ur current tire pressures. i use 32psi front and 30psi rear to dial out some understeer for ur reference.
This. I have a 2006 and it has rubber valve stems. Saved me $200+ on sensors.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 12:17 AM   #9
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Checked. Have rubber stems. No TPMS in wheels. Pressed button and held and sensor light light up then went out as described above. Thanks for info.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 03:25 AM   #10
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
I have an 08 and don't have them on my aftermarket wheels. Just puts up a light on your dash. A quick piece of black tape gets rid of the light. It won't hurt anything if you run with them out. My M3 has the older sensor, not on the actual wheels.

Also, 06 models had the other sensors not on the actual wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 04:46 AM   #11
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
On the 'older' cars, it really is not a 'other type' of sensor. It is the computer(s) monitoring each wheel for rotational speed. When the rotational speed on a wheel changes by a certain delta with regard to what the actual speed is, the car assumes low tire pressure and lights the light.

I can dig out the BMW speak tonight from the WDS.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #12
mpower1226
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessZ4M View Post
I have an 08 and don't have them on my aftermarket wheels. Just puts up a light on your dash. A quick piece of black tape gets rid of the light. It won't hurt anything if you run with them out. My M3 has the older sensor, not on the actual wheels.

Also, 06 models had the other sensors not on the actual wheel.
By putting black tape, you mean you put the tape on the cluster face? Or do you remove the cluster and take out the bulb and tape over it as that is what I did with my abs light when I had e36 as just removing the bulb would still shine the light. and definitely cleaner install.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #13
djlogan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Hi guys. Picked up a new 2006 Z4M this weekend with 32k on the odometer and am looking at changing out the factory 18" wheels and had few questions.

1) My car has a TPMS button but when I press it I get nothing. No light. No indication in the dash so does this mean its not working OR that I don't have TPMS mounted in the factory wheels? Confusing as I am coming from an e92 M3 which I sold which had a more ah graphic representation of TPMS status! LOL

2) Am looking at aftermarket wheels possibly 19x8.5 ET35 Front and 19x9.5 ET22 Rear for the car. Will this set up work? Do I need to buy new TPMS sensors (if the current wheels don't have them - see above) and if so which ones work? Am looking at Tire Rack for a number of possibilities and understand they will mount sensors, tires, and wheels for shipment together at a unit cost. Has anybody mounted anything larger like 20" wheels, is this an option?

3) Car has a set of 18" Pilot Sport A/S already mounted on it but not sure for how long and look to have some tread left but less than 1/2 so what is the average tread span life? If I am upgrading to 19" then this would be a better option to order wheels/tires together.

4)What do folks use for winter tires if any? Don't get snow currently in Texas where I am stationed but have a set of 18" wheels and snow tires from my M3 which I may keep if they'd fit and work for snow duty so is keeping them for that role vs selling them a better option?

Thanks
Md
================================================== ====
Even though I considered 19" wheels, I just bought a set of BBS CH Black 18" wheels and tires from Tire Rack for my 2007 Z4 ///M Coupe:
- front 8.5" 35mm
- rear 10.0" 40mm (required 18mm spacers and longer bolts)

IMO, I feel 18" is the best compromise of looks, comfort, handling & cost.
Also paid $200 for the flat tire sensors to be installed @ Tire Rack.
I installed them last night and I am very happy with them.
I have the same set (18” BBS CH), but silver, on my 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si, that I am selling.