ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #23
anthony @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: R56 Cooper S

Congrats! That road trip is a great idea. Your Z4 looks good too.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #24
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Carfax is pretty useless. My '04 Z4 had a $10k frontal damage that was fixed through insurance. And up until today it has a clean carfax record as far as accident goes. I once bought a car from a well-known high-volumn BMW dealer; the car was advertised to be accident free, and as it turned out it ended up needing a $3k repair (paid for by the dealer) because the previous repair was not done properly. I could swear the car looked pristine in the show room; little things just didn't start showing up until a week or two after I bought the car.

If you're making a $15k purchase, it'd be kinda against logic to not invest $200 to have the car inspected thoroughly first.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 04:47 AM   #25
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
When I was growing up, I went with my dad on several of his business calls. Those road trips were some of the best father-son time we had. The fact that you brought him along is something he will remember for the rest of his life, and it is something he will not fully appreciate until much much later.

The car looks great! Tekarbon, a reputable company that specializes in custom headlights, offers an "amber delete" option for early Z4s. The previous owner may have gone a similar route rather than shelling out $3500 for the OEM headlights. While there is still the possibility that the car was in an accident and the owner replaced the headlights with OEM clears, there is also a much greater chance that you are getting a car was very well cared for.

Tekarbon website: http://www.tekarbon.com/BMW/m/m_e85_001.htm

Based on the wheels it looks like the car is a 3.0i with the sport package, which means a $45k+ MSRP when new. And, you said the car was a one-owner, so someone who can buy a car like that new and keep it for 7 years isn't exactly hurting for cash. My guess is that you picked a great buy.

A few things for your trip:
1. On the highway I found sport mode very helpful. In sport mode the steering is heavier and the throttle is more sensitive and requires less effort, so for me it was less fatiguing to drive.

2. The cruise control is activated by a short stalk similar to the headlight/turn signal stalk on the bottom left side of the steering column. Push forward to set a speed or accelerate, pull the stalk towards you to coast, and move it up or down (like you're activating the turn signal) to disable it.

3. Enjoy your awesome car.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 06:09 AM   #26
bhoch
SSGT USMC - '78 - '86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [7.33]
Finding the car you really like - $0
Purchasing the car you really like - ~$15-20K
Taking your 11 year old son on a road trip - priceless!

Hope you get to stop at a greasy truck stop for a burger and soda on the way and just enjoy the sites. If you do not need to push it on time and can take some of the back roads through Arkansas/Tenn it will really be a nice scenic route! Are you taking the Southern route (over to Atlanta and then up 85 (I think it's 85) into Raleigh or is your plan to just shoot over I30/I40 through Tenn?

Congrats on your new purchase and I know you will have a great trip with your son. Looking forward to the pics.

As you have any questions just post'em up, this place has been a great help to me in my search and purchase of my Z4 as well!

2007 3.0si Roadster Black/Red, sport, Piano Black F14 Forgestar's
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 06:54 AM   #27
bdejong11129
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 87 E30

Thanks everyone for all the comments and suggestions. We are going to spend Saturday planning the route and getting things ready for the trip. I got a full build report for the car and here it is.

Type code BT53
Type Z4 3.0I (USA)
Dev. series E85 ()
Line Z
Body type ROADST
Steering LL
Door count 2
Engine M54
Cubical capacity 3.00
Power 170
Transmision HECK
Gearbox AUT
Colour SCHWARZ 2 (668)
Upholstery LEDER OREGON/SCHWARZ (LASW)
Prod. date 2003-06-19

Order options
No. Description
205 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
224 DYNAMIC DRIVING CONTROL
324 LT/ALY WHEELS ELLOPSOID SP.107/MIXED TYR
354 GREEN STRIPE WINDSCREEN
399 SOFTTOP OPERATION, FULLY AUTOMATIC
430 INT/EXT RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE
441 SMOKERS PACKAGE
459 SEAT ADJUSTM., ELECTR. W. MEMORY
493 STORAGE COMPARTMENT PACKAGE
494 SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
521 RAIN SENSOR
522 XENON LIGHT
534 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING
540 CRUISE CONTROL
639 COMPLETE PREP. CELLULAR PHONE USA/CDN
645 RADIO CONTROL US
662 RADIO BMW BUSINESS CD
677 HIFI SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL
692 CD CHANGER I-BUS PREPARATION
704 M SPORT SUSPENSION
818 MAIN BATTERY SWITCH

Series options
No. Description
255 SPORTS LEATHER STEERING WHEEL
305 REMOTE CONTROL FOR CENTRAL LOCKING
470 CHILD SEAT ISOFIX ATTACHMENT
520 FOGLIGHTS
550 ON-BOARD COMPUTER
823 HOT CLIMATE VERSION
845 ACOUSTIC BELT WARNING
853 LANGUAGE VERSION ENGLISH
876 RADIO FREQUENCY 315 MHZ

Option code 645 appears to be the steering wheel controls. Please correct me if I am wrong. So it looks like the lights are the only things that may have been changed. I am going to go on the assumption tha thte previous owner changed them because he/she liked them better the way they are. I know I did similar changes on my E34 lights so its not hard to understand why someone would so the same on this car.

It was a lot of fun looking for the car but the anticipation of picking it up and driving it cross country to get it home is killing me...

Once I settle in on a route I will post it here so you can suggest or stalk us while we head home.

From a quick look there is a route that hits I40 and I30, this runs mostly through TN and hits only 4 states. Another route that runs I85 and I20 hits 7 states. The milleage is clsoe to the same but I think I like the idea of running through several states for the expirence of the boy.

Any thoughts on if I20 should be avoded for any reason?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 06:59 AM   #28
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
bdejong11129

Congrats and the drive will be awesome. I did the same drive, from Tyler, TX to Virginia Beach (past your area) in Febuary when I picked up my ///M. Since it was winter I did not do the 'Tail of the Dragon'. You and your son will have a ball on the TOD. "Do the Dragon".........

On the issue of your steering wheel, my wife's 03 Roaster (build date 10/02) did not have the Multi-function option either but I added it myself with the Multi-function upgrade kit. Took less than two hours to install and is plug and play. If I remember it only cost me about $165.00 for the kit.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 07:27 AM   #29
bdejong11129
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
bdejong11129

Congrats and the drive will be awesome. I did the same drive, from Tyler, TX to Virginia Beach (past your area) in Febuary when I picked up my ///M. Since it was winter I did not do the 'Tail of the Dragon'. You and your son will have a ball on the TOD. "Do the Dragon".........

On the issue of your steering wheel, my wife's 03 Roaster (build date 10/02) did not have the Multi-function option either but I added it myself with the Multi-function upgrade kit. Took less than two hours to install and is plug and play. If I remember it only cost me about $165.00 for the kit.
Been to the tail on the Harley with the wife and we have already planned a trip this fall to run the parkway. I love that place in the fall, we visit every year for a weekend.

Here is one shot from a few years back.
http://briandejong.com/JAlbum/Landsc...no2a-Edit.html

I think this one came with it from the factory if I am intrepreting the build option code correctly. It is nice to hear that a kit is available since that means that if it was added afterwards its more than likely not a hack job.

I take it you ran the TN route using I40/I30...Really thinking about running more south so that he can swing through a few more states.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 08:19 AM   #30
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdejong11129 View Post
I take it you ran the TN route using I40/I30...Really thinking about running more south so that he can swing through a few more states.
I was thinking the same thing. I may go down to I10 and make my way up to I40 But since you're picking the car up in Dallas, shooting down to I10 might be a little out of the way, unless that's what you're looking for

I was thinking of driving down to 10 and once I got around Mobile, start heading north. It adds like 7-8 hours to the trip, but all that backwood country...i miss. Come up through the Smokies.

Have you and your family ever been to Cade's Cove, in the Smokies of TN? Gatlinburg once you get through Pigeon Forge) is a really nice, scenic drive trhough the mountains, with plenty of twisties once you get out of city limits.
      09-23-2010, 09:00 AM   #31
bhoch
SSGT USMC - '78 - '86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [7.33]
I have been both ways (with me being in Tx and mom in Eastern PA, plus I have some of my team working in RTP and I need to go yell at them now and then. ) and either way is nice for making time and there are BORING and scenic sections along with ways. I would suggest (but you probably been through this area already) coming in through West Virgina (near Ashville (biltmore estates area)) as even on the interstate it's a nice, somewhat scenic drive though Western part of the state.

BTW.. what day(s) are you going to be in Dallas? It's a little far, but I would not mind seeing if I can get up there and say HEY to you while your in the state. Always cool to meet fellow Z enthusiasts.

2007 3.0si Roadster Black/Red, sport, Piano Black F14 Forgestar's
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #32
bdejong11129
Private First Class
Rep

Right now the plan is to arrive in Dallas around 3:00pm, get to the dealer, finish the deal within two hours and be on the road. to make the first day easy we are going to head to Shreveport which is about 3-4 hours from Dallas. The second day will take us to Birmingham AL, approximately 8 hours or so, and then the final stretch to NC, approximately 9 hours.

This puts up back home Saturday night so we don't miss any football on Sunday..However, this is all up to change. If he needs a stop then we will stop. The last thing I want to do is push him so he doesn't enjoy the trip...

Last edited by bdejong11129; 09-23-2010 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 07:11 AM   #33
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Quote:

Right now the plan is to arrive in Dallas around 3:00pm, get to the dealer, finish the deal within two hours and be on the road. to make the first day easy we are going to head to Shreveport which is about 3-4 hours from Dallas. The second day will take us to Birmingham AL, approximately 8 hours or so, and then the final stretch to NC, approximately 9 hours.

This puts up back home Saturday night so we don't miss any football on Sunday..However, this is all up to change. If he needs a stop then we will stop. The last thing I want to do is push him so he doesn't enjoy the trip...

Looks like a great trip! It is very cool that you are doing this with your son. you guys will remember this forever.

I just went to HPDE event with my dad and it was the best thing we have ever done together. In our case the car thing has really brought us closer together.

Have a safe trip and take lots of pictures.

Oh... Nice car by the way. Make sure some more pictures of the new beauty end up on the post here for us all to enjoy.
      09-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #34
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

If you like the idea of being able to drop and put up the top from the key, try this . It works great on a 03. I have installed 2 on an 03.

http://www.techtronics.de/xtc/produc...Interface.html

Enjoy your trip and be safe. Welcome to the addiction that is Z.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #35
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

He's probably got about 100 pictures by now..........of just the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #36
bdejong11129
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil View Post
He's probably got about 100 pictures by now..........of just the car.
Nope, just the 30 or so from the dealer. We are not leaving for the trip until next Thursday (September 30). I pulled the trigger on the thread a little early for sage advice on the route and other items of interest.

Since I am a photography nut you will see wuite a bit of the car while on the trip, and a lot of the scenery. My son is going to be the official "on the move" photographer, while I will fill in for the static displays.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #37
bdejong11129
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imz4n View Post
If you like the idea of being able to drop and put up the top from the key, try this . It works great on a 03. I have installed 2 on an 03.

http://www.techtronics.de/xtc/produc...Interface.html

Enjoy your trip and be safe. Welcome to the addiction that is Z.
Took a look at it and its pretty cool..I am going to order one right now.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #38
MZHammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4M, F82 M4

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
Congrats on the car. Looks like a beauty! Hoping to do a road trip with my daughter next summer. Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #39
bdejong11129
Private First Class
Rep

First day is almost done. My son loved his first plane ride. I am going to make it short since i am typing this on my phone.

The car is good. Only found a few items that did not show in the pictures. Nothing to ruin the deal though so we are on the road.

After about a hundred fifty mild I got the tire pressure warning. Stopped and checked the tires . Sure enough, one tire was low, aired it up but the warning light did not go out . Does it stay on for awhile?

I am going to get the tire checked tomorrow. To long of a tip to take any chances.

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 09:00 PM   #40
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i, 2033 X5

Garage List
After you fill the tire, turn the key to position 2 then hold the reset button down (next to the traction control button). The dash light should turn yellow then go out completely.
      09-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #41
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Quote:
First day is almost done. My son loved his first plane ride. I am going to make it short since i am typing this on my phone.

The car is good. Only found a few items that did not show in the pictures. Nothing to ruin the deal though so we are on the road.

After about a hundred fifty mild I got the tire pressure warning. Stopped and checked the tires . Sure enough, one tire was low, aired it up but the warning light did not go out . Does it stay on for awhile?

I am going to get the tire checked tomorrow. To long of a tip to take any chances.

bdejong,

Have a great trip and post a lot of pictures either on the way or after you arrive back home.

It might be a good idea to check your tire pressures each morning. If that same one is losing a few pounds overnight, then you might have a nail in it.

I hope your son has the time of his life. (It's a given that you'll have a great time!)

Rick F.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 07:51 AM   #42
bdejong11129
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks. I will reset the light. I bought a tire pressure gauge last night. Speaking of last night. On the flight over here we sat by a very nice lady who is from shrevport . She was talking ro my son and he mentioned that he player guitar. As it turns out her father and brother are both musicians.. when we land she calls them and arranges for a small jam session. We were out until 1 this morning playing and listening to stories of gigs ....Kevin is really getting a good taste of what a road trip is all about.....
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 07:58 AM   #43
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Awesome!!!

I can't wait to hear more when you get back. In the meantime, drive safe and enjoy the ride. Don't be in a rush to get home because you will be, before you know it. A trip like this is literally once in a lifetime!

Cheers!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #44
bdejong11129
Private First Class
Rep

Alright..I guess mo road trip is complete without at least one flat tire..best part is that it ended up being a simple repair. I am thankfully we had the run flats they got is to tge repair shop with mo trouble. Will tell more when I have access to a real keyboard. Until then here are a few pics from the trip.

Appreciate 0