ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
DerekSelmanRacing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0 SMG, 01 530

Aftermarket Clutch

Doubt that anyone's gotten into this but here goes:

I'm changing the clutch on my 2005 3.0i 6-speed SMG!!! The oem has given me good service but is beginning to slip slightly on full throttle upshifts (29000 miles total, about 20,000 of those track) and I'm considering changing to a lightweight flywheel and semi-racing style clutch. I did this on our full-race Z3 coupe and was happy with the results.

I have a couple concerns. I believe I currently have the dual mass flywheel and self-adjusting pressure plate. Obviously, I would have neither of those features were I to change. Also, will a new clutch of the type I'm contemplating be sympatico with the SMG computer logic?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekSelmanRacing View Post
Doubt that anyone's gotten into this but here goes:

I'm changing the clutch on my 2005 3.0i 6-speed SMG!!! The oem has given me good service but is beginning to slip slightly on full throttle upshifts (29000 miles total, about 20,000 of those track) and I'm considering changing to a lightweight flywheel and semi-racing style clutch. I did this on our full-race Z3 coupe and was happy with the results.

I have a couple concerns. I believe I currently have the dual mass flywheel and self-adjusting pressure plate. Obviously, I would have neither of those features were I to change. Also, will a new clutch of the type I'm contemplating be sympatico with the SMG computer logic?
You're right doubt anyone here has done it but you should see what other e46 m3 owners have done since those came equipped with SMG (although I'm sure there's differences between the 2, just like how DCT in M and non-M are not exactly the same aside from just gearing).
      12-17-2014, 08:35 AM   #3
DerekSelmanRacing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Not much info over there, either.

FYI, I've been advised by someone who should know (T. C. Kline) that I can go to a lightweight single-mass flywheel and conventional (non self-adjusting) pressure plate as long as I keep an organic lined disc. The metallic lined discs are thinner and the dimension variance messes up the SMG.

We're going to find out.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Derek,
are you still racing? I havent seen you in years. This is Sean from nasa norcal with the black e30m3 TTD class.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
DerekSelmanRacing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Nope, he's not still racing. This is Joel Selman. I drive the yellow Z4 now...just using the account he set up originally.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 10:35 PM   #6
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekSelmanRacing View Post
Nope, he's not still racing. This is Joel Selman. I drive the yellow Z4 now...just using the account he set up originally.
Oh. Gotcha.
Appreciate 0