ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
CHamel
Canada
Rep
Drives: ZHP, VR4, G35, EVO, M Coupe

Garage List
Tuning Upgrade Path

Hey there, I did a search and didn't find anything specific to my question. I was wondering what modifications one should suggest (headers, exhaust, springs, brakes, clutch, etc.), in what order, on a Z4M. The end goal is the ESS stage 2 kit.

Thank you in advance for your insight.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Personally I would go for headers first because your probably gonna want them if your going the FI path. If you choose headers I would stick with the stock cans as I think you'll be happy with the sound and I'm not so sure about any great performance enhancements with exhaust other than # savings. Then if you go the FI route your def going to need bigger brakes. You need to stop that thing! If you plan to track it coilovers will probably be in order or you'll never get the power down around corners.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert settings
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
CHamel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thank you for the reply. I can imagine headers with exhaust would make quite the sound
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
CHamel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
What about parts like differential, CAI, and such? Pullies... Naturally the CDV would be first on the list. What about clutches and what-have-you.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

There's a pretty large group of guys [including me] who think that revised rear gears are the single best mod you can do to a Z4M, in terms of performance-per-dollar spent. There are handful of good threads on the topic. Basically it will give you ~8% or ~11% more *effective* torque at the rear wheels, at the expense of top speed. Mileage also decreases slightly. No other mod I know of [short of a supercharger] can give you 20-29 pound-feet of additional torque. Granted a Diff change doesn't make additional torque, but you are twisting the tires 8% to 11% harder, so it's effectively there. Expect to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $2300 to $2800 for a diff swap. IMHO Diff change = Low risk, high rewards, medium price. A good mod to have if you're having only one.

Forced induction: the "stage 1"supercharger kits from ESS and (imminent) VF Engineering will boost the motor to ~5 PSI boost and ~450 horsepower/~300 torque. Bitchin' performance but major plumbing rework to get there. Ongoing engine service gets more complicated/specialized. Rather Pricey, cheapest I've seen approaches $7K installed. Stage 2 and 3 kits get to 500+ HP but cost the same as another used car. IMHO supercharger = medium risk, high reward, high price. Feel free to disagree.

I'm dubious about pulleys. IMHO pulleys =low reward, low money, medium risk.

Suspension upgrades: coilovers are a huge win on this car. It goes from "really good" to "superb" with a good set of coilovers properly corner-balanced and aligned. Some guys do beefier sway bars too if you want to track the car. IMHO, Suspension=Low risk, high reward, medium money. Big return on investment because you use it constantly.

Exhuast - by itself (without intake and/or headers and/or cat bypass) don't get you much of a power improvement (think single digit HP gains). You DO shed some weight and add good noises. So IMHO, cat-back exhaust = low risk, medium reward, medium money.

Exhaust plus headers plus software = bigger power gains depending on flavor. Adds more good noise. Probable CELs if no software remap. Software adds another $1K on top of hardware price, so IMHO Exhaust plus headers plus software = medium-low risk, biggish reward, medium-large price. Almost requires that you also do an aftermarket intake to add airflow, so plan on another $500 to $900 there.

ECU software alone = mild to moderate improvements in power depending on local octane availability. Increases DRIVABILITY significantly. IMHO ECU software = nice to have but not required unless you are doing the intake/exhaust upgrades above, or a supercharger -- then it's mandatory. So IMHO, ECU flash = mild risk, mild to moderate gains, relatively mild price.

Also, better tires make a significant difference. I don't consider them a "mod" as sooner or later tires are mandatory. Same with CVD and a proper alignment. I highly recommend corner balancing the car if you get coilovers.

I have a lowered race clutch pedal in my car to facilitate clutching with a fake [replacement] knee. The throw is about five inches top to bottom. Shifts fast

That's my take on the most common mods. I've tried many of them and researched the others. I am currently running 3.91 gears, Remus exhausts, Powerchip software, and KW suspension. The car is running and driving soooo sweet right now; best car I've ever owned by far.

Last edited by blender; 05-19-2010 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 12:03 AM   #6
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Nice post!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcleme05 View Post
Forced induction: the "stage 1"supercharger kits from ESS and (imminent) VF Engineering will boost the motor to ~5 PSI boost and ~450 horsepower/~300 torque. Bitchin' performance but major plumbing rework to get there. Ongoing engine service gets more complicated/specialized. Rather Pricey, cheapest I've seen approaches $7K installed. Stage 2 and 3 kits get to 500+ HP but cost the same as another used car. IMHO supercharger = medium risk, high reward, high price. Feel free to disagree.
i agree with everything you said for the most part, good post.
its just the horsepower to dollar ratio with a supercharger is untouched by any other mod or group of mods in this car. i think the kits are a little pricy for a supercharger kit, but we lack alot of options here. so i guess i'll take it for what it is
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHamel View Post
Hey there, I did a search and didn't find anything specific to my question. I was wondering what modifications one should suggest (headers, exhaust, springs, brakes, clutch, etc.), in what order, on a Z4M. The end goal is the ESS stage 2 kit.

Thank you in advance for your insight.
It sounds like you have quite a goal!

What are you plans for the vehicle? Are you planning on taking the car to track?

If the answer is yes, I'd suggest going with brake and suspension upgrades first (if even needed). These cars are extremely capable on the track and they usually only need a set of track pads and some new fluids to be fast on a road course!

Feel free to send over a PM if you have any questions!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
CHamel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thank you to everyone that has replied. The posts have been very insightful. Ideally I plan on using the car for street applications, with the occasional track day. It will be more of a weekend toy, with one of my other cars acting as my daily.

rcleme05 brought up a point in regards to maintenance on forced induction applications. How intensive is this maintenance and rather, how specialized would a technician have to be? My family owns a Mitsubishi Dealership that currently employs a BMW master technician. We do a lot of performance work on other technical, but be it different vehicles (ie Lancer Evolutions and Ralliarts). Given I would get the forced induction application setup installed at a more specialized shop, how much maintenance and tweaking does a supercharger entail?
      05-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHamel View Post
Thank you to everyone that has replied. The posts have been very insightful. Ideally I plan on using the car for street applications, with the occasional track day. It will be more of a weekend toy, with one of my other cars acting as my daily.

rcleme05 brought up a point in regards to maintenance on forced induction applications. How intensive is this maintenance and rather, how specialized would a technician have to be? My family owns a Mitsubishi Dealership that currently employs a BMW master technician. We do a lot of performance work on other technical, but be it different vehicles (ie Lancer Evolutions and Ralliarts). Given I would get the forced induction application setup installed at a more specialized shop, how much maintenance and tweaking does a supercharger entail?
Superchargers have very low maintenance compared to turbocharging and etc. With a properly installed supercharger setup, it can still retain daily driveability and have the power on tap for when you need it.

I would say maybe the belt tension and proper cooling of the charger itself is the most important part of a supercharger system. Also, the proper tune is imperative for the safety of your engine.

Good luck with the project and let us know if you need any help!
Appreciate 0