ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-03-2009, 12:09 AM   #45
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 Coupe

so when you first got your M, did you believe it'd be the fastest around? just curious... it could have been a 2nd generation Pinto and I would have bought it... july 2006, when I saw the '05 Automobile mag cover, I knew I had to have it...my jaw dropped, and I saved up for a year to be able to buy this car...the coupe makes my day before I go to work, and when I leave...and I don't even have the M... just curious if most of y'all bought yours for the power or for the look?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 07:41 AM   #46
marcus1701
up all night
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3.0si, alpine white, auto, nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoZ View Post
Um, the Z4M is far from slow; and I've owned and driven many cars.

a) If a R32 gave you a problem, you are a terrible driver. Sorry. I had a modded MKIV GTI1.8T back in the day and I would rip R32's a new one (and that is with 203whp/240wtq on a 2,8xxlb car). A 290whp, 3,2xxlb car should NOT feel or be slower than a 200-210whp, 3,300lb car. Further, the Z4M doesn't do "0-60" in 4.9 secs, it is much faster, if member 1/4 mile times are looked at (high 12's to low 13's); the E46 M3 was tested between 4.5-4.8secs and it's 250lbs heavier. Since North American's are so 0-60 obsessed, didn't some mag get a 4.6 (who cares anyway). Just the other day, a G37s was bothering me on the highway and I decimated it.

b) The Z4M is a "sports car", which means it looks good, handles well , is fast and brakes fast. It's not a muscle car. A C63 is a straight line beast.

Honestly, I am very dissappointed by the attitude of many Z4M owners when it comes to these cars. If so many of you are so impressed with other cars and so underenthused by your own, get rid of them and have someone else own them, someone who is proud to own something as unique and fun as this thing. At least know the performance stats on your own cars.

Lastly: As new cars come out, the Z4M will get more mainstream in terms of performance, perhaps. However, I doubt that we will see 30-40K cars that do 1 sec 0-60's etc, as everyone seems to think that cars will just exponentially just all get faster over time from our current performance stats (and as they've evolved from cars 10-20 years ago).
I'd like to see where you are getting your Z4M 0-60times....there is no way it's running 12's, more like mid 13's. Also AWD makes any driver look like a hero, with rear wheel drive you need finesse. In the mountain road twisties I'd like to see someone try to out take an R32 with AWD and DSG. Shifting gears while trying to pay attention to the road along with modulating brakes isn't that easy.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #47
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus1701 View Post
I'd like to see where you are getting your Z4M 0-60times....there is no way it's running 12's, more like mid 13's. Also AWD makes any driver look like a hero, with rear wheel drive you need finesse. In the mountain road twisties I'd like to see someone try to out take an R32 with AWD and DSG. Shifting gears while trying to pay attention to the road along with modulating brakes isn't that easy.
There was a bone stock z4 m coupe on dragtimes.com with stock tires that got a 12.7!! And i don't remember where i saw this but i read a 4.6 for 0-60. It could be false info but i know the 12.7 is real becuase i saw the slip.
      01-03-2009, 08:06 AM   #48
marcus1701
up all night
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3.0si, alpine white, auto, nav

okay I saw it....so it's not impossible. Still, that is the fastest record on that site with the next set being 13.2, 13.4, 13.6, 13.7, 13.9.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 08:22 AM   #49
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 z4 M Coupe

Quote:
okay I saw it....so it's not impossible. Still, that is the fastest record on that site with the next set being 13.2, 13.4, 13.6, 13.7, 13.9.
id say 13.6 is a little high. Id say 13.00-13.2 most people could do.
      01-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #50
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
am i the only one shocked we are comparing our cars to a golf? at least upgrade to something with like evo's and sti's for this
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #51
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBspeed View Post
am i the only one shocked we are comparing our cars to a golf? at least upgrade to something with like evo's and sti's for this
I know I've been confused reading this whole thread.

Like who is responsible for picking this as a worthy similar priced and specked factory competitor the our Z4M's?
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #52
Bammered
Track Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4 ///M COUPE

Garage List
Quote:
Don't forget ART330's 12.9 run @107 on stock tires....

The thing with a powerful RWD is that it takes skill to launch.... alot of people dont have it....

Im sorry but If you can't handle an R32 on back roads then you should def go take some classes at ///M school..... You shouldnt be having trouble with shifting and braking/ cornering.... thats day 1 advanced performance driving stuff....

Ive been on the track with R32's and raped them through the twisties... I've never had a problem... Actually most of the time it makes for a good cool down lap when i get stuck behind them lol.... Do u really think my mostly stock ///M coupe is braking loose in high speed 3rd gear corners because its RWD? And if it did i know i would lock it down no problems.. the only time
4wd helps is on launches with high power cars PERIOD...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #53
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

Can't we stop talking about straightline speed 1/4 mile times are so pointless. It would be alright if u own a mustang because thats the only thing that car is good at.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #54
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarlover View Post
Can't we stop talking about straightline speed 1/4 mile times are so pointless. It would be alright if u own a mustang because thats the only thing that car is good at.
did you not bring up the r32? That slow pos- All they are 1/3 good at is straight line b/c after about 60 they AWD is not a good thing. Sorry but I have had several high Hp audis and K04d VWs and I can tell you that the R32is nicely appointed with an awesome exhaust the end. Gonna go have another beer now mkay.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #55
Bammered
Track Addict
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Reynolds View Post
did you not bring up the r32? That slow pos- All they are 1/3 good at is straight line b/c after about 60 they AWD is not a good thing. Sorry but I have had several high Hp audis and K04d VWs and I can tell you that the R32is nicely appointed with an awesome exhaust the end. Gonna go have another beer now mkay.
Thanks Burt!!

Any possibility of you posting some in car vids of some in gear blasts with the 4.10?

After my headers and ESS software next week, this is my next mod and am very interested to see the fruits of your efforts!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #56
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep

I would love to but the cold Chicago winter and my snow tires keep from doing too much with my right foot. I am interested in your header software combo as that may be my next mod set.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #57
Bammered
Track Addict
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My DME is in Arizona right now getting flashed, hope to have it back by wednesday... If all goes according to plan, then come friday I shall have the Headers mounted sans cats and have a blissfully CEL free dash thanks to the ESS software.
I will definetely post some vids of the sound, although im sure it will be be really loud and distort any camera microphone I use.... Im planning a late night run through the Holland Tunnel to really capture the music!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 12:17 AM   #58
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarlover View Post
You know that is not true... my Mustang isn't even good in a straight line
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 03:48 AM   #59
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
You know that is not true... my Mustang isn't even good in a straight line
its the most straightline speed u can get for the money.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 03:51 AM   #60
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
All they are 1/3 good at is straight line b/c after about 60 they AWD is not a good thing.
At 60 mph it's a 100% FWD car. I don't think you quite understand the parameters of the AWD system.
      01-04-2009, 06:40 AM   #61
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Most people are lazy about speed. In other words, aren't willing to drive at ten tenths to make it go as fast as it can (perhaps afraid they'll break something or crash or both???). Some people just want to hit the gas at low to mid revs (or in a taller gear) and have it be a rocket. The current R32 only has 224 wheel hp and weighs 7% more than the Z4M, so if it gave you a hard time then you weren't driving hard enough. Perhaps these other guys were just more willing to push their cars to the limit? Of course a R32 with DSG on a tight and twisty road would be hard to beat as the power can be more easily exploited--and the car is very easy to drive fast. As the road opens up it would be a sitting duck.

Want it quicker in those conditions? Change the gearing first, then see if you need more power. Gearing change alone puts the car at the quickness of the new M3 w/MT. Is that enough for you? Would be for me until I address other things like brakes and better rubber.
Easily the best post of the thread.

I would agree 100% that most people on here by the sound of all the bitching want low down torque and heaps of it on the street. Yes, LAZY would be a perfect word to describe their lack of driver input. For their oldman driving ways they are either going to need an automatic NOT a manual and a large cube V8 over 6.0LT or a forced induction motor; not a N/A 3.2Lt high revving I6. I'm not one of them because I am willing to exploit the 8,000 rpm ///M gave us to use. It's like a F1 driver deciding to only rev the motor to 9,000 rpm and then yelling at the chief mechanical engineer they need more power and asking why other cars are lapping them. Ridiculous. How many on here I wonder actually drive their ///M like they stole it bouncing it off the rev limiter on every upshift and are still complaining they need more power.

In my country the majority of the modified performance car enthusiast population is into high horsepower figures only. So bad has this epidemic become over here we are seeing chassis dyno's at nearly every major car show. I'm not sure how bad things over your neck of the woods are getting but we have competitions here at all big event shows for the coveted title of 'Horsepower Hero'! To me it's more like people are turning into 'Dyno Dickheads' rather than anything else.

These very same people spend all their time and money chasing the highest RWHP figures at shows for mostly nothing more than bragging rights when many of them wouldn't even know how to properly pilot their ride to the edge of it's performance levels around a race track in stock form.

But if winning Horsepower Hero floats their boat, that's great for them. It takes all types.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter

Last edited by ANILE8; 01-04-2009 at 06:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 08:27 AM   #62
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

^^ You just described America with the exception of the few that track their cars perhaps. This is also why I think the N54 spec'd 135i/335i (and soon to be new Z4) is so popular. It's lazy power on overload. BMW should be shot for making a motor that looses almost 100 lb-ft of torque in the final 1500+ rpms, and pawning it off like it's a great feat. BMW is the new Ultimate Poser Machine, less the current Ms, and their end is near.
      01-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #63
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
At 60 mph it's a 100% FWD car. I don't think you quite understand the parameters of the AWD system.

Please feel free to elaborate then. BTW, Are you accounting for the extra 400lbs as a plus when the car gets past 60 mph then? AWD is great but always comes with a weight penalty.

Here is a little reading for you...
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=123373
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #64
leeman
Rep
Drives: 2008 z4m roadster

Don't let your ego get in the way of your safety.

I traded my 2006 C6 Z51 performance packaged Corvette for a 2006 3.0 si. I traded it because the Vette was over the top and I felt strongly that in time i was either going to be killed in it or at very least loose my license. I had to wean myself off the adrenilin high I was getting from taking risk. The SI was my first step. It was still fast and provided a thrill but the difference between running through first to third gear was that in the SI I was at 80 Mph versus 120 in the Corvette. 80 MPH would still get me a hefty ticket and several points but 120 is criminal and the penalties are more severe. After 6 months I longed for more power but did not want to go back to the Vette for the reasons I stated before. I bought a new ZM Roadster in March 2008 and fell in love with it. It has the right balance of power, handling, comfort and looks to satisfy this speed junky. The "M" can still get me in trouble but I noticed I am not as tempted to drive it the way I drove the Vette. The overall top down driving experience has been enough to satisfy me. I no longer care about whether I have the fastest car as long as I make it home every night safely. My opinion is to be satisfied with what you have and that is a very exclusive, well performing sports car.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #65
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeman View Post
I traded my 2006 C6 Z51 performance packaged Corvette for a 2006 3.0 si. I traded it because the Vette was over the top and I felt strongly that in time i was either going to be killed in it or at very least loose my license. I had to wean myself off the adrenilin high I was getting from taking risk. The SI was my first step. It was still fast and provided a thrill but the difference between running through first to third gear was that in the SI I was at 80 Mph versus 120 in the Corvette. 80 MPH would still get me a hefty ticket and several points but 120 is criminal and the penalties are more severe. After 6 months I longed for more power but did not want to go back to the Vette for the reasons I stated before. I bought a new ZM Roadster in March 2008 and fell in love with it. It has the right balance of power, handling, comfort and looks to satisfy this speed junky. The "M" can still get me in trouble but I noticed I am not as tempted to drive it the way I drove the Vette. The overall top down driving experience has been enough to satisfy me. I no longer care about whether I have the fastest car as long as I make it home every night safely. My opinion is to be satisfied with what you have and that is a very exclusive, well performing sports car.
Great perspective.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #66
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Please feel free to elaborate then. BTW, Are you accounting for the extra 400lbs as a plus when the car gets past 60 mph then? AWD is great but always comes with a weight penalty.

Here is a little reading for you...
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=123373
Haldex (Swedish company that supplies this AWD system for Audi/VW for the TT and R32) used to have a great article on their website which explained this perfectly (as you would expect), but now it's gone as I just discovered. Essentially the system is operated by its own ecu which takes into consideration wheel slip, car and engine speed, and throttle position, and uses hydraulic fluid to transfer power wheel to wheel. By design the system doesn't push any power to the rear wheels at highway speeds as it isn't advantageous and would only cause economy to suffer. The OEM contoller is more biased toward FWD and mainly sends power to the rears when slip is detected in the fronts, but also under hard acceleration at low speeds. In the snow you'd have all 4 wheels spinning, and the system is capable of sending 100% power to the rears given the condition until the condition no longer called for it (ie, very briefly). For around $1200 you can replace the standard controller with the Haldex Performance Controller which uses throttle position to initiate the power transfer. Haldex also sells a racing controller that gives AWD full time, including at constant cruise, deceleration, and during braking. On a slippery surface that could cause a spin under braking so obviously not recommended for street applications.

...as I recall.

Last edited by MVF4Rrider; 01-04-2009 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0