ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
Driftaholic
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

Extended Warranty Recommendation

Greetings,

The CPO warranty on my 03 Z4 will expire in few months. Can you recommend a reputable extended warranty vendor?

From searching the forum, someone recommended twinkidneygrill.com, however, this website is down. Not sure if this is due to a technical problem or if this vendor is out of business.

The offer from BMW is $2960 for 3/36k. I think this is too high for a Z4 3.0, considering that it is still under warranty. I previously purchased a warranty from AAA for my Audi S4 for 4/48k for $1700.

Thank you.

Last edited by Driftaholic; 01-11-2009 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
m3griff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0Si

Might check some of the Porsche Boxster boards as many of those folks (rightfully) do not want to own a Boxster without warranty. Some of the good boards are Porsche Pete's Boxster Board (http://www.ppbb.com/board/986board.htm) and Rennlist.com (http://forums.rennlist.com/). Search those as there are numerous warranty company comments.

Having said all that, I would not think an extende warranty on an 2003 Z4 is going to be worth the money that you spend - unless the car has been problematic for you to this point. Spend the money on routine preventative maintenance and you will likely be well ahead. The engines are good for 200K miles - the only concern (and only past 100K miles) would be an auto transmission. Just my thoughts - based on owning several higher mileage BMW's.

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
Driftaholic
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

Thank you very much Jeff,

I have owned several Porsches and Audis. While their preventive maintenance was costly, the cars were overall reliable.

I recently purchased my Z4 and I must admit, it has exceeded my expectations in every aspect. I usually avoid warranties and having done this for years, I think I am ahead. However, the more I learn about the Z4 and how much electronics it has, the more nervous I get. Since I rely on repair shops with expensive parts and high labor cost, I thought maybe I should consider a warranty. My main concern is the electrical components, from the power top and seats to the manual transmission, in addition to seals and leaks.

The car is still under warranty, and with the exception of the run flat tires issues, no problems so far with 48k miles. I would like to keep it for 2-3 years, or another 15-20k fun and high RPM miles.

Would fellow owners report problems with their Z4s, if any, and the associated repair cost?

Many thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0