ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

Professional wheel repair, how much?

Has anyone here had this professionaly done? There are several online companies, but none of them have a price list, and all ask for a picture to get a quote. I've submitted a few but they are slow getting back to me. It seems barring extreme issues there should be an average cost for curb rash repair and paint. I know there are several DIY's for repairing and repainting wheels. But for those of us who dont have the time or patience, How much does something like that cost professionaly?
      02-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMz4 View Post
Has anyone here had this professionaly done? There are several online companies, but none of them have a price list, and all ask for a picture to get a quote. I've submitted a few but they are slow getting back to me. It seems barring extreme issues there should be an average cost for curb rash repair and paint. I know there are several DIY's for repairing and repainting wheels. But for those of us who dont have the time or patience, How much does something like that cost professionaly?
We have a mobile guy here. Charged me $65 to straighten a wheel. Did it in the back of his "mobile wheel lab" with the tire on. Not sure about rash and paint. Would figure $125-$150 wheel? I can get a wheel powder coated for $50-65 around here before rash repair.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert settings
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Also, I decided against naming this thread - "How much for a Rim job?"
      02-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
ruscoupe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
I've used Wheels America and some other outfit whose name escapes me right now, but in both cases the repair ran ~$130. Really bad curb rash and repainting required.

And that's w/o shipping costs, both were national chains but had local offices. Might ask your local BMW dealership who they use (many do have a local source).

Rus
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

I second asking your local stealer. Mine has a guy that comes weekly, $75 a rim, rash repair and repaint. I haven't had it done, did the DIY route, but have seen the work, worth having a pro do it.

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

how about for diamond black finish - bbs?

might be tough finding someone to refinish some imperfections in that, huh?
      02-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
ruscoupe
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Not familiar with that bbs wheel, but lots of us found out that nobody would touch the wheels that came on the S54 M Coupes/Roadsters ('01 - '02). What did they call that, chrome shadow? Nobody could match it correctly, so they all finally seemed to quit taking them in for repairs.

Only other option was to give them the whole set and let them repaint all of them, accepting of course they weren't going to look the same.

Rus
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
clashcity74
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Doubt you're looking to have to ship them out to get taken care of, but these guys do the job right. Thankfully, they are within a short drive of me.

http://www.wheelcollision.com/

They list their prices here:
http://www.wheelcollision.com/wccsvcs.html

I've had them repair minor bend in a wheel for $75 and also refinish a set for around $350 (was a few years ago).
      02-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

I had a "mobile" guy come to my house with his work van and fix about 10 inches of curb rash and respray it for about $100.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
gigtime
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

I would not recommend going through a BMW dealer. I had a wheel repaired through warranty with BMW of Dallas. It didn't come out of my pocket but I noticed the charge was $165 and the shop they used charges $100 on their website. Unfortunately I don't recall the name of the shop now.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
Karacticus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

I've had some straightening and minor paint work done-- around $120 for comestic work, up to $150 if the wheel needs straightening.
      02-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
ruscoupe
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigtime View Post
I would not recommend going through a BMW dealer. I had a wheel repaired through warranty with BMW of Dallas. It didn't come out of my pocket but I noticed the charge was $165 and the shop they used charges $100 on their website. Unfortunately I don't recall the name of the shop now.
BMW Dallas uses, or did use anyway, Wheels America just like Autobahn, Park Place and a few other dealers in the area.

I'm not really following along though as to what the issue was you ran into. You said it didn't come out of your pocket. Are you just feeling like the dealer charged back to BMW NA more than they were owed?

Rus
      02-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #13
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscoupe View Post
BMW Dallas uses, or did use anyway, Wheels America just like Autobahn, Park Place and a few other dealers in the area.

I'm not really following along though as to what the issue was you ran into. You said it didn't come out of your pocket. Are you just feeling like the dealer charged back to BMW NA more than they were owed?

Rus
I think it shows that he would have had to pay more out of pocket if it werent under warrently, the stealer is gonna mark up the price more than if you just go to the source. Good to know.
      02-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
gigtime
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscoupe View Post

Rus
Exactly, Rus. It didn't effect me due to the warranty issue but earlier in the thread, someone suggested the OP check with their BMW dealer. If they do, they might be charged an extra $50-60 when they could just go directly to Wheels America or whomever the dealer is using.

I feel the same way about collision repairs since few BMW dealers seem to have in-house body shops these days.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
Shota15
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
I had My 4 M Contour wheels done by Rim Pro, They do an excellent job. If you are a BMWCCA member you can get a discount. I paid $660.00 to have all four wheels refinished (very minor curb rash and one was slightly bent) and one straightened. That was with the discount.

http://www.rimpro.com/index.html
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 05:58 AM   #16
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
I am going to have my MC's wheels redone. I went to three different shops in the area this week. The prices are anywhere from $125-$175 a wheel. This is to completely strip/blast, repaint/clear with BMW paint and bake on.

The shop that gave me the best warm and fuzzy about what the process was, is the shop that quoted me the $125.00/wheel… I was not comfortable with the other shops.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #17
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
I have a wheel that needs some attention on the E39. One of the best BMW body shops in the tri-state area strictly uses WCC in Bath PA. I've heard it could be upwards of $200, but they pick up and drop off, and supposedly they x-ray first to get an inside look, and wont even do the repair if it should be scrapped. Supposedly they are one of the best:

02-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #18
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
not suggesting that you use a shop in PA when youre in CO, just a giving yet another point of reference for repair levels out there.
      02-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #19
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtMc View Post
I have a wheel that needs some attention on the E39. One of the best BMW body shops in the tri-state area strictly uses WCC in Bath PA. I've heard it could be upwards of $200, but they pick up and drop off, and supposedly they x-ray first to get an inside look, and wont even do the repair if it should be scrapped. Supposedly they are one of the best:

well that helps me out!

i'm in allentown and am looking to have some BBS rims i bought touched up. thanks.
      03-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #20
clashcity74
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubydafa View Post
well that helps me out!

i'm in allentown and am looking to have some BBS rims i bought touched up. thanks.
I've taken wheels to the Wheel Collision guys and they are indeed a great shop that does things right and is pretty good on price.

They do prefer the wheels to be taken off the car and dropped off as they don't have a whole lot of space, and don't want to leave your car outside on jack stands.
      11-25-2016, 11:13 AM   #21
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I've got 3 out four of my wheels that all have the same problem. In "ONE" SPOT, there is a 1" X 2" " matte silver " on my 06 Z4MR 18 " OEM wheels. It looks like the clearcoat / paint has begun to wear off. Wish they were just metal I could polish. Odd that it is in one spot, where the spoke meets the rim. I wonder if in the drying/painting process this "spot " was at the top ?
It's Black Friday, I'm going to go take a drive and see what some of the tire shop say, since I need tires anyway, maybe I will have repair / powder coat done first.

Has anyone powder coated these wheels ? How do they look ? It seems like a less expensive alternative and I have budget constraints.

Thank you, I'm having problems posting to this site, but will try to get a good photo of this " matter silver " area.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 11:58 AM   #22
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

I've used a great wheel repair place in Kirkland (suburb of Seattle) twice; they remove the tire/wheel and break the tire bead but do not remove the tire, to ensure repair and repaint (I have black painted OZ Ultraleggeras) achieves all surfaces. They surface prep and repaint the entire rim, not just the area repaired. the repainting looks OEM perfect and has lasted for years with no issues. Cost is $175