ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
mihajlo
Rep
Drives: Gray

Bilstein HD replacement - track use

I'm looking to replace the stock dampers with Bilstein HD (https://www.turnermotorsport.com/c-7...ock-strut-sets).

My 2008 M Coupe has 67K miles. It's still on stock suspension - I did add the spacers in the kingpin for added camber, but it's stock otherwise. I don't really drive the car on the street (sees < 2K miles street driving last 2 years). It does see about 10 track days a year at Southern California tracks (Chuckwalla, Buttownwillow, Big Willow).

I am NOT looking to get coilovers at this time - mostly due to the expense but also because it's another variable to add, and I'm focusing on driver improvement not suspension tuning.

My goal is that I believe after this many miles and ~40 track days the stock dampers could use a refresh. I'm considering a revalve tuned for Chuckwalla and maybe Buttonwillow (but I don't really know anything about this so I'd be at the mercy of a trusted source to make a recommendation for optimal configuration.)

My questions:

(1) are the Bilstein HDs a good replacement for my purpose? If not, can you recommend something else?
(2) Will a revalve achieve anything meaningful?

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 03:07 AM   #2
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Man, I did exactly the same as your thinking of doing.. replaced stock with HD and h&R combo.. drives very very nice.. but replaced after anout a year with KW clubsports.. its night and day difference.. for road use the HD billies and springs are fine, provides a really nice ride, but boy those clubsports are sooo nice.. I was lucky I was able to offload my setup at the same time as getting the clubsports.. do yourself a favour and jump that intermediate step. Esp if your tracking a bit. If you really want to avoid coilovers, those HD's have a little secret inside them ;-)

Last edited by Vanne; 05-31-2016 at 03:14 AM..
Appreciate 0