ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Someone please 'splain.

Gas prices jumped 27 cents from this morning to this afternoon. I was running late for work, so I thought I'd wait until this evening to fill up. Gas was $2.62 for regular as I passed the gas station. Needless to say I was pissed when I came home tonight to see it at $2.89. Premium was $3.03. First time I've paid more than $3/gal in a more than a year.

I see nothing in the news which would explain such a jump. Is today just "Greedy Bastard Day?"

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Gas prices jumped 27 cents from this morning to this afternoon. I was running late for work, so I thought I'd wait until this evening to fill up. Gas was $2.62 for regular as I passed the gas station. Needless to say I was pissed when I came home tonight to see it at $2.89. Premium was $3.03. First time I've paid more than $3/gal in a more than a year.

I see nothing in the news which would explain such a jump. Is today just "Greedy Bastard Day?"
Hmmm... It seems like more daylight and more daylight hours = higher gas prices. Just a theory....
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster; 2010 Mini

So he jacked his prices up....
Sometimes owners do that in a knee jerk reaction to their very small profit margins. The question is: Did you still buy it there? Did you REWARD that behavior by remaining his customer?

The only way to keep prices down is to not frequent the stations that overcharge.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicj View Post
So he jacked his prices up....
Sometimes owners do that in a knee jerk reaction to their very small profit margins. The question is: Did you still buy it there? Did you REWARD that behavior by remaining his customer?

The only way to keep prices down is to not frequent the stations that overcharge.
I tried. But there is a lot of price fixing around here. The prices in Champaign, where I work, and in Charleston, where I live (50 miles away) were the same. I did go to the station with the lowest premium price.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

The weather in some area's of the country are warmer, therefore making it easier to get product to the stations in the warm areas... must have a price increase to compensate for those area's less fortunate with colder weather...

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

I was thinking about the weather issues. During the huge snowstorms out east last month the price of fuel dropped pretty dramatically for a few days as there were millions of people in the eastern metro areas not driving or buying gas for several days in a row. Inventory went up, so prices came down. But since then the price has gone up 50 cents/gal. That *used to be* a sign of a major disaster (like a huge hurricane) or some political issue in the Middle East. Now it's just a sign of rampant speculation.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Seriously, when the weather gets warmer for whatever reason we see the price rise up here. Also on the speculation front, the market oil prices have been artificially increasing as I have not found any information to explain why.

Anyway I've been driving the Zed most of the week and am due to fuel up... will have to see how much we went up. Wisconsin has that "non-compete" law that requires fuel to be priced within a specific margin of other near-by stations. I'm sure we've seen similar increases.

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep

Exactly. That's why they get away with raising prices when the price of crude oil goes up, even though the prices they bought their existing fuel for, and the prices for the next few weeks were set long ago.

It's all a sham. Here in Maryland, I've seen drivers drive 10 miles out of their way to save 4 cents a gallon...and you know what, I think that's a GOOD thing!

Gas station owners want to take the laws of supply and demand out of the equation. They want to charge you more NOW for the speculative guess at what crude will cost in the FUTURE. Don't let them get away with it. Vote with your wallet!

It's harder for me , as I will only buy Top Tier fuels, but with the "Where" application on my phone, I can identify Gas prices for Premium all around my area, and plan accordingly before setting out for the day. Don't let them Bastards get away with it!

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

wahh wahh..i pay more than 3 dollars a gallon.

I pay close to 3.40!!!!

what can we do...nothing..its sad really
      03-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep

That's because you're in California, where if they could find a way to tax the air you breathe, they would.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicj View Post
That's because you're in California, where if they could find a way to tax the air you breathe, they would.
thats.......true
      03-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #12
scottyD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 3.0si Coupe

Maryland isn't much better.....

$1.50 a month for EZpass comes to mind...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 03:14 PM   #13
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoU4 View Post
Anyway I've been driving the Zed most of the week and am due to fuel up... will have to see how much we went up.
BP 93 Octane (w/possible 10% Ethanol ) $2.97, up 24 cents.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #14
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoU4 View Post
BP 93 Octane (w/possible 10% Ethanol ) $2.97, up 24 cents.
6 cents/gal cheaper than here. Still, the same big jump in price since the last fillup.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #15
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I am riding my motorcycle today and will have to finally fill up, we will see how much they jumped here. I almost always fill up at Hy-Vee gas here (grocery store) because with a receipt from the store you save from 3-15 cents a gallon of gas depending on the day. It is a nice promotion they do to get people to shop there, and it seems to work for them. They have been doing that for a few years now, seems to be a nice way around those non-compete laws or whatever that keeps all of the gas stations at about the same price. Oh, they also have 6 mystery buys (not a huge mystery since they tell you what they are) every day that gets you an additional 6 cents off a gallon on top of the current discount per item!!!

As for my bike and zed, I usually just swallow the higher prices because around here I only really have 2 choices for "Top Tier" fuel, oh well. For my truck I go for the cheapest gas possible.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0