ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

About to order polishing kit $400

Hi guys, Im about to order a porter cable polishing kit from autogeek with all the accessories I need. The total is about $400 and I wanted to know if it was worth it and if I can really get good results as posted on their website. Thanks
      02-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ///M Roadster + E92 335i 6MT

If this is your first time It might be better to start off slow and buy it bit by bit rather than dump that much into a kit,

I have a UDM (same as a Porter cable)
I know Meguiars have one out now too, I think its a G220 or something, They are pretty good from what Ive read

I'd get one of the polishers, with backing plates, and start with three pads,
The Meguiars soft buff pads are awesome,

and for Polish Id say Menzerna's,
You will need super intensive polish from Menzera's range to get through the tough BMW paint, and super nano polish, But yes excellent results are possible but its a slow process and you need to take time to do it,

Do you have a link to the kit you were thinking of?

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

i've never seen a $400 polishing kit from autogeek before but if it does exist, in my opinion, definitely not. im sure it includes a lot of different polishing pads and some abrasive polishes but you really need to know how to use a PC first before messing with abrasive polishes and pads that theoretically remove layers of clearcote to remove swirls.

each polishing pad is a certain stiffness. the stiffer it is, the more harsh it is when polishing which is great if you plan on layering down the clearcote and removing swirls, but you can do some damage if you dont know how to use it, use it too much, or use the wrong products on BMW paint which is known to be very soft and hard to work (especially Jet Black).

I'd say before buying anything, go to Autopia.org. It's ALL about detailing and polishing correctly. TONS of knowledge on that board and it'll make your decision much easier.

Before I bought my PC, I checked out that board and totally switched my view on what I wanted to purchase. One of the main things I learned is that since my car is a daily driver and in the winter i have to bring it to a car wash once in a while, using products and pads to layer down my clearcote to get down swirls was not a good idea since a car wash will just bring the swirls right back. so instead i use glazes that have a lot of fillers to create the same effect (although never as good unfortunately).

Just check out that forum and you will definitely be pointed in the right direction
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Whoa nick, that is some great info!!! Thanks!
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
sirmalloc
code monkey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster Imola/Imola

Definitely check Autopia.org and read through the forums before making a decision. I ended up going with a PC 7424XP, Meguiar's M105 / M205 polish, and Lake Country CCS pads. One tip - I started with the 6.5" pads, but I feel they are too large for some areas of our cars. I plan to switch to 4" pads in the near future.

After washing and claying the car, I decided to test the polishing on the trunk lid first, as it was covered in swirls. I did one pass of the M105 on an orange pad, followed by one pass of M205 on a white pad. I'd say at least 95% of the swirls were completely gone. The hard part is avoiding future marring when washing. I've now switched to a two bucket system with grit guards, and the only thing to touch the paint is clean microfiber. So far it's worked pretty well.

Initially I was nervous about using the PC and screwing up the paint, but I think it's pretty difficult to screw up with the limited power of the PC. Watching this video helped put me at ease before I started polishing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XAqpOe9Zt4

And I have to say, AutoGeek is a great company. I ordered an entire haul of stuff from them once I got hooked reading through Autopia.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep

Hi guys, I ended up going for this kit before checking your responses. After buying all of the other products it came to be $460. Here's the link. thanks
http://www.autogeek.net/flex-polisher-kit-bag.html
      02-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep

nice kit. but thats a flex orbital polisher not a porter cable. its higher end (and more powerful) than the porter cable and is used mainly by professional detailers.

just read up on autopia.org before you use it. you'll be happy you did
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 07:04 AM   #8
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep

Thanks, I tried looking at autotopia, but couldn't really find any guide for the flex.
      02-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep

there wont be guides for the flex specifically since all orbital polishers in a sense, work the same. just some are more powerful and are easier to work down the clearcote (like a flex). so theoretically, anything you find about orbital polishing will pertain to you. i think the main thing to read up on is which pads to use with what products for the result you're trying to acheive.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #10
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep

Just got my flex and I was excited to use it until I read online that it is MUCH more dangerous than the pc, should I return it and buy the PC or keep it? thanks again guys
      03-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

PC rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWI6 View Post
Just got my flex and I was excited to use it until I read online that it is MUCH more dangerous than the pc, should I return it and buy the PC or keep it? thanks again guys
The PC has a forgiving rep. It's been around for quite a while and has great speed control.

I bought http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-flat-pad-kit.html and love it. Simple to use and I actually look fwd to doing.

Great writeup to read for info: http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-De...ide/Polishing/
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 04:54 AM   #12
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Definitely read up on autopia before you make decision. I've been detailing my car for over a week now (after work) by hand, and I really wish I had a buffer...although I' not sure a $400 kit is what I'd go for. As long as you keep the speed down and use light-no pressure you'll be fine.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!

Last edited by Dammmittt; 03-28-2010 at 10:17 AM..
Appreciate 0