ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-19-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

New 06 Z4 3.0si owner, advice needed!

Well so far I have noticed a few issues with the Z4 and wanted to see if anyone knows of any resolutions to them. I did search but did not find anything related.

The first issue is the car makes a pretty loud clunking noise and inches forward when shifting from Drive to Park. Is this normal????

Second, the passenger side low beam has occasionally stopped working. I am not really sure if it is the bulb as it will randomly start working again. I took it into the dealership when it was NOT working. When the tech looked at it, of course it turned on. However, today it is back to not working again. I am not sure how to approach this one.

Third, sometimes on a cold start the revs will raise and drop very slightly a few times. Is this normal behavior?

Lastly, I understand the car is a convertible, but do you all have creaking noises near the seatbelt areas on both driver and passenger side? Is this something I can even bring up to the dealer?

Any help is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtsx07 View Post
Well so far I have noticed a few issues with the Z4 and wanted to see if anyone knows of any resolutions to them. I did search but did not find anything related.

The first issue is the car makes a pretty loud clunking noise and inches forward when shifting from Drive to Park. Is this normal????

Second, the passenger side low beam has occasionally stopped working. I am not really sure if it is the bulb as it will randomly start working again. I took it into the dealership when it was NOT working. When the tech looked at it, of course it turned on. However, today it is back to not working again. I am not sure how to approach this one.

Third, sometimes on a cold start the revs will raise and drop very slightly a few times. Is this normal behavior?

Lastly, I understand the car is a convertible, but do you all have creaking noises near the seatbelt areas on both driver and passenger side? Is this something I can even bring up to the dealer?

Any help is appreciated!
I have not experienced the first two problems on my car.

The third item may not be a problem, just normal cold start behavior. Does it go away when the engine warms a bit?

On the last item, do you have the seats so far back that they rub on the rear cabin bulkhead?

Cheers!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I have not experienced the first two problems on my car.

The third item may not be a problem, just normal cold start behavior. Does it go away when the engine warms a bit?

On the last item, do you have the seats so far back that they rub on the rear cabin bulkhead?

Cheers!
yes, the idle variation goes away after the car warms up. Just wondering if this is normal behavior that i should expect.

I also realized the car made more creaking noises when the seats were slid all the way back because of the leather rubbing. I slid them up a bit so they don't touch, but there is still an occasional creak by the seatbelt areas.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I also have an 06 3.0si. I had the same headlight issue. It was a loose connection, not the bulb. The creaking can be minimized by moving forward, as you've learned, but it will still creak. This is where an AUX plug and an iPod come in handy.

I have a 6-speed, so I can't comment on your first issue. And I haven't noticed any up-down revving issue.

Good luck with it. Get past these minor annoyances and you'll fall in love with the car.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtsx07 View Post
Lastly, I understand the car is a convertible, but do you all have creaking noises near the seatbelt areas on both driver and passenger side?
Just to be sure your top is locked down all the way, reach back after you put the top down and lightly press down on the top assembly to make sure it's locked down.

I check it just to be sure because on some occasions, even though the light goes out after putting it down, it will click when I press down on the top.

Just a thought.

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
denial512
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

On your light issue, my driver side had gone out a few times, but would restart after turning the lights on and off. Taking it to the dealership, they said they read in a ballast ignite error in the log (didn't know it was there), and they replaced the ballast (mine is HID).

For your idle issue, everytime I complain about this (later on, in cold weather, my car wouldn't idle) the dealership claims it is a fuel quality issue. it's not cold anymore here, so I can't reproduce it anymore. I've had similar issues with this sort of start/idle behavior when the startup air intake solenoids are going bad. I'll have to work on this issue some more when the weather gets cold next year.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
rccardude909
Rep
Drives: 3.0si

I have the same fluctuating idle issue that you have on cold startup. Its been to the dealership twice and they say that they cant recreate it and no codes are in memory.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 01:30 AM   #8
SAVAGE
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Mine does the same on idle and also makes the same clunking noise when going from drive to park.

Don't really mind...motorplan FTW if anything breaks
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 01:40 AM   #9
edwardh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 AW 128i

Same here, it sometimes makes the clunking noise. doesnt sound very pleasant.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 11:05 PM   #10
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks for the input all...sounds like i'm not the only one experiencing these little annoyances.

I'm gonna try to get the headlight issues fixed at least. I'll also try to see what I can do about the loud clunk when the car is put into park. The idle is pretty close to normal now since the weather is getting warmer here so i'm not too worried about that right now.
Appreciate 0