ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
tanvan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 i

water leak

Hi Folks

Need some help here -I have a water leak in to the cabin of a 2005 z4 2.5 i softtop. The water collects behind the passanger seat under the carpet. For the most part you have to feel under the carpet with the seat foward where the carpet is split for the wire harness. Water collects after a moderate to heavy rain. The top of the carpet remains dry. I have had the car to the dealer they replaced the vapor barrier in the passanger door. They also had to replace a sensor for an air bag because the dash light lit up. Search on this and other forums suggests that the vapor barrier is what is to blame. However the repair did not cure the problem. I have sat in the car during a rain storm and could not see any leaks around the door, the top heating plenum or threshold. Is parking these cars on an incline with the nose up an issue (may be a 10% grade)? I am looking for any other suggestions if anyone has had this issue let me know.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

You might want to have the drain for where the soft top motor is located. It is on the passenger side and if it is filling with water it could be seeping through to the floor board. Just a thought.
      03-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
tanvan
Registered
Rep

leak

imz4n

Thanks of the thoughtful response alas the drain is clear.

If anyone else has an Idea would like to hear.

Thanks

tanvan
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
mikeb310
Rep
Drives: 2005 2.5 Z4

Water Leak

I was installing an ipod last nite and running the cables up front when I moved the passenger seat up and discovered the same water leak.

Mine is a 2005 2.5 as well, must be something about the 05's. I checked the driver side and it is dry. Today I took it by a touch less car wash and I did not see any leaks but heard water draining from somewhere. I would expect to see a lot of condensation on the inside but have not noticed it any at all.

I would like to take the seat out and see I could find the leak. I bought the car in April 09 and took it for service and the dealer replaced the top motor for water damage so maybe the drain is clogged. Maybe?????
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
tanvan
Registered
Rep

leak

Just a followup on the water leak -05 2.5

1. First trip to the dealer they replaced the vapor barrier in the passanger door and the air bag sensor. I had to eat the cost.

2, second trip back to the dealer they replaced the door edge protector part 51-72-7-125-652 this is the main weather stripping that goes around the door frame . Leak now seems fixed. Dealer paid

At no time did I see water coming over the threshold -Water would seem to just collect under the carpet.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0