ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-16-2010, 11:51 PM   #23
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcleme05 View Post
==========
So I had to call BMW North America regarding another issue, and I asked them to run my Z4M vin. The woman answering the line referred to it as a "2006 M Roadster", so I stopped her and asked her to clarify the difference between the Z3 "M Roadster" and the "Z4 M Roadster".

She went away and I got to listen to some nice hold music for awhile.

She eventually came back on the line and informed me that BMW "Recycled the name" (her words) because the Z3 ended production in 2002 [true] and the Z4 design replaced the Z3.

Consequently, your hypothetical 2002 Z3-based S54 convertible and your 2008 Z4-based S54 convertible have exactly the same Official BMW designation of "M Roadster". Despite being completely different cars, built six years apart, based on two completely different chassis, with completely different equipment.

It's A TRIUMPH OF MARKETING ! I guess they were out of common sense at the cafeteria that day.

Anyway, I stand corrected about the names. I will go sit in the corner now.
It makes sense to me as they only produced one of them at a time. The Z4M is the direct successor to the Z3M and thus is still the M Roadster as far as BMW is concerned. The model year will clear up any confusion IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #24
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

My deals fell through. Now I'm not looking at any.

I have decided exactly what I want tho.
2007-08 Z4M White (Maybe Grey too) with black interior, brushed aluminum, prem package, heated seats. With good service records (1200 miles fluids flush, etc..) no accidents and the correct tires (don't ask...) I'd also like Nav but is not a requirement. Anyone have any leads?

The good thing is, I am in no rush. But Now I am depressed since the one I was looking at sold
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #25
Nate2046
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 e92M

I don't understand why there would be any confusion between different generations of 'M Coupes' and 'M Roadsters' just because they're based on different platforms. Manufacturers have been introducing new models with a continuation of the name forever. Hello? The M3 has been around since 1988. E30, E36, E46, E9x all different platforms with the same nameplate. How is the M Coupe/Roadster any different?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #26
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

To put it another way: "This is my brother Daryl, and this is my other brother Daryl..."

Sure the Z3M was out of production after '02, but thousands of them were rolling around with the designations of "M coupe" and "M Roadster". So BMW thinks, lets build two more completely different cars with the same names, shall we?

Furthermore, by their own logic: if a Z4M is designated as "The M Roadster", then every Z4 should simply be called "The Roadster", or maybe "The <engine size> Roadster". But BMW didn't do that, because it WOULD BE CONFUSING. And that's my point.

Thank the gods that M division engineers built the car and not the corporate marketing idiots.

Last edited by blender; 03-18-2010 at 11:45 PM..
Appreciate 0