ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-29-2023, 06:07 PM   #1
dans2004z4
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw z4

Questions - Starter Replacement 04 Z4 2.5

Hello

My first post here. I need to replace the starter on my 03 Z4 2.5. I'm on the older side. I have done brakes and basic maintenance; however, I am deciding if this is something I can take on.

I can see the starter and access the two bolts holding it on. Once the bolts are removed, how difficult is it to get it to break free and out? There's not a great deal of room in there.

Also, there appear to be 3 or 4 cables attached to the solenoid. It is possible to remove the bolts, break free the starter, and have access to these cables on the solenoid. I can see how to get to these without unbolting the starter first so I can turn it to get to the cable connectors.

I would appreciate anyone willing to share their experience, feedback, and tips.

I have checked with my local garage, and they are quoting $650-700 if they do it. I can get a rebuilt starter for $125 or a new one for about $200.

Thank you
Dan
North Carolina
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 11:08 PM   #2
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Have a ‘04 3.0i …… basically the same engine etc.

I changed it bending over reaching into the engine compartment….. without removing the air intake. Just removed all the soft piping from the MAF back towards the engine bay firewall. There was enough room then to reach in and disconnect the starting electrical cables and the bolts (2) required.. It was tight but I have average sized hands….. and am able to interpret what I feel into wrenching what’s required. But I’ve been working on my cars for over 50 years since getting my first car.

It’s very doable….. but if you have a big belly it might be more appropriate to have the shop do it……. Just saying. 😂
      09-08-2023, 04:23 PM   #3
14Down
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i, X3 M40i, M Roadster

Dan,
I too am on the older side. I recently replaced the starter motor on our '06 M Roadster with the S54 engine (which may be a tighter fit than the 2.5L). Most videos showed removal of the intake manifold to provide better access to the starter. I was able to replace it without removing the manifold, though it is very tight. Ordered a new Valeo (OEM supplier) starter from FCP Euro for around $220 (I would take a new starter over rebuilt as it is a pain to replace). Also ordered the two retaining bolts for the starter as I believe they are single use items.
I disconnected the battery first and then removed the cables from the starter (take pictures before; did them by feel as it appeared easier than once the starter was loose as I would have no leverage). Once the bolts were removed the starter was nudged off fairly easily. Used Torx sockets and a 3/8" breaker bar to break free the starter bolts (can't remember the exact size) and then switched to smaller regular sockets to remove easier (maybe 10 or 12 mm). In my case one bolt was accessible with care from the driver's side while the other was more easily reached from the passenger side. Assembly is the reverse. Attached the cables by feel as soon as the starter was in place but did not tighten them until starter bolts had been torqued to spec.
The are videos on YouTube, but many are not clear on what to do. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the one I used for reference.
Best of luck!
Appreciate 0