ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-23-2009, 11:29 AM   #45
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpapa View Post
you cant miss the screws. if you look under or even put your hand under you'll feel them. they're more towards the front of the panel (not towards the engine).
ah I think i know what you mean. I thought you meant the panel right above of the ashtray area.

You mean the one in the glove box right?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #46
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

right, its the panel right below the glove box
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #47
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the help Nick! I now have the wires pulled through to the floor and have the unit mounted. It took quite a while since my head unit had TONS of wires... I think pioneers has 1 main wire going to the central unit which would of simplified the install quite a bit. I literally fished and had to micromanage the wires before I could even push the head unit back to the slot and that took the better part of a few hours.

Now here's the hardest part, running wires through the side. Any pointers by chance? Are most of the side panels just pop out/ After I run the wires to the rear seat, I heard there's a "hole" to run the rest of the wires back there?

And good news for everyone else, I've been videoing step by step most of the important steps. The install so far is very simple as expected. The "micro management" of the wires and fitment seems to be the most time consuming part. My scoche face plate fit fine, but I needed to hand sand the plastic edges so that it can fit my unit in without pinching the sides and forcing the face plate to pop off.

Another note, I couldn't get my head unit to sit flush. I may need to get a fabricator in the mount the head unit so it's flush for me but, at this point it isn't a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #48
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep

ok i think i made the running of wires a lot harder than it had to be. The wires are EASILY ran if you go between the center console and the middle portion. You can wedge it in there with no issues.

Now off to taking the carpeting out. You will need to take the battery out, but I think I can finish by tommorow. The hardest part is that the car is small! Just takes time =)

I'm weary about popping the door panels and speakers out..I may have a shop just install those for me since they don't seem too hard.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #49
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetx2 View Post
It took quite a while since my head unit had TONS of wires... I think pioneers has 1 main wire going to the central unit which would of simplified the install quite a bit.
all headunits have the same amount of wires regardless of brand.

Quote:
The wires are EASILY ran if you go between the center console and the middle portion. You can wedge it in there with no issues.
this is true if you only plan to run 1 set of rca's (i ran 2 sets). this is where i ran my ipod wire since it was a single and somewhat thin wire. anything larger will make the plastic bulge out and possibly make the wiring eventually show as it may move downward from vibration/bumps. I also didnt go this route because the seat covers a large amount of the plastic which means the wire just hangs and is run on top of the carpet (i hate when wiring shows!). taking out the side panels (speaker cover, door sill etc.) may require a bit more work than stuffing it under the center console, but it's still very very simple to remove and it's gaurenteed not to show any wiring.

Quote:
I'm weary about popping the door panels and speakers out..I may have a shop just install those for me since they don't seem too hard.
save your money, it's very simple and you'll be proud of yourself in the end!
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=746898 (ignore the LED part)

Quote:
My scoche face plate fit fine, but I needed to hand sand the plastic edges so that it can fit my unit in without pinching the sides and forcing the face plate to pop off. Another note, I couldn't get my head unit to sit flush. I may need to get a fabricator in the mount the head unit so it's flush for me but, at this point it isn't a big deal.
I actually went with the factory kit from BMW. the european Z4's came with a headunit that was a regular single din sized headunit that you usually see. it was a bit pricey but it was the only kit that matched the interior perfectly because it's a factory part. the part number i used which is for the gray plastic interior (not black like yours), is 65900301349. doing a search for an 06 Z4 for this part, the part number is 65900398746. different part numbers so it may be the black version but i cant gaurentee that.

ill take pics of mine later but the kit looks like this: http://users.pandora.be/AcousticSolu...c/headunit.jpg
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #50
strokeZ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 M3 6MT

nick, where / whom did you order that factory kit from? I hate hate hate the black plastic and have been looking for paint to make it match....i have used model paint in the past with success but nothing i can find seems to match.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 10:03 AM   #51
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep

the scosche kit looks fine I think. My wires are definately different from a regular cd player I think since I have one of those flip out screens that has like 3-4 extra thick plugs for external modules (bluetooth, navigation, etc).
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #52
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
nick, where / whom did you order that factory kit from? I hate hate hate the black plastic and have been looking for paint to make it match....i have used model paint in the past with success but nothing i can find seems to match.
I actually got it from the dealer. i think list is $111 but my friend worked in the parts dept and i believe I got it in the $70-$80 range. You can also order it online from Tischer BMW (getbmwparts.com). Looks like they have it for $89.56+shipping. Just search by part number 65900301349 and it will come up.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 04:53 PM   #53
mimsterzx7r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 M Roadster, 03 Pathfinder

Can't wait to see some pics and videos guys.

Hey prophetx2, if you have a screen that flips out won't it get in the way of the air conditioning vents and cause condensation?

I would really like a flip out too but the thought of messing up the screen or blockin the AC kinda scared me off.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #54
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsterzx7r View Post
Can't wait to see some pics and videos guys.

Hey prophetx2, if you have a screen that flips out won't it get in the way of the air conditioning vents and cause condensation?

I would really like a flip out too but the thought of messing up the screen or blockin the AC kinda scared me off.
Yeah the screen definitely blocks the A/C vent but, I haven't seen condensation yet. I rushed my install because I'm actually leaving the state for about a month and wanted to take the Z to accompany my gf to the desert (ie: very very hot) for work. During the 2+ hour trip in 90-100 degree weather I did not have any issues what so ever with condensation etc..

Also most of the time the screen is not up, I only like it up if I'm using the Nav and/or need to play with settings. When I am listening to radio or just the ipod on random, the unit usually stays down.

I will post videos soon, it's almost ghetto rigged at some points but, again I had to rush. I still need to build an amp rack and hookup my rainbow speakers but, right now rainbow crossovers + stock speakers minus sub = sounds much better like others have said!

I will also replace the fascia because the OEM one matches the vents.. My other idea would be to wrap the scosche one in carbon fiber fabric..but I doubt it'll fit/look as good as stock.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #55
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep

started uploading the first video, i need to do some editing to splice some clips together..I'll have some more time next week to do so, but this is a good video of how to take apart the vents/radio.

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QRfemGE-kY4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QRfemGE-kY4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 04:18 AM   #56
mimsterzx7r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 M Roadster, 03 Pathfinder

Wow thanks for the video very useful. Keep em coming can't wait to see how that flip out unit is gonna look like.

BTW, what kind of camera are you using to film all of this?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 10:52 AM   #57
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep

I'm using a creative vado hd. It's one of those digi camcorders, but it's rugged enough for my outdoor adventures and clear enough for details (720p).

I'll upload more videos soon, just need a bit of time since i took them in chunks over the course of several days. The head unit itself looks good, I will probably get the OEM mount because it'll match and fit better. Currently the scosche face plate looks off since the black doesn't match at all. Luckily I bought the kit off ebay and the price for all 3 pieces (antennae adapter, face plate, harness adapter) was cheaper than buying 2 pieces individually.

For nickpapa, does your head unit sit flush by chance? What i mean by flush is that the oem head unit face is angled up. All aftermarket head units faces are "flat/straight" Since the faceplate is angled and your head unit is flat, the only way to make it sit "flush" (ie: not have the top of the head unit show more than the bottom) is for the oem face to have extra material..

The other way is to remove the OEM bracket in the rear (bad since nothing is going to support the head unit) or dremel the bracket a bit to allow for an angle.

EDIT:

here's some more clips on the harness and the glove box/fuse panel (not as dramatic but informative hopefully). Also I've took a quick unedited video of the installed head unit along with the issues i'm describing. Hopefully it'll help.

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8P37Hrpyqwo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8P37Hrpyqwo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kIuAIZqNqcQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kIuAIZqNqcQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_AAPlXq7WGo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_AAPlXq7WGo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]

Last edited by prophetx2; 07-04-2009 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #58
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
For nickpapa, does your head unit sit flush by chance? What i mean by flush is that the oem head unit face is angled up. All aftermarket head units faces are "flat/straight" Since the faceplate is angled and your head unit is flat, the only way to make it sit "flush" (ie: not have the top of the head unit show more than the bottom) is for the oem face to have extra material..
sorry ive been a little late replying to this thread. the radio sits flush becuase the trim piece actually comes outward at the top to compensate the angle. i took a few pics to give you a better idea.

the radio im using is a pioneer 880prs. it has a stainless steel finish to it which matches the interior pretty well. the pic does not do it justice. it was the only high end unit (5v preouts,16 band eq etc.) that matched the trim.

the orange color is not stock. the 880prs has the option of being white or blue. what i did was ordered orange photo film, opened up the faceplate and put the film over the lighted areas. if anyone is interested in doing this, i got the photo film from http://www.northernsound.net/Sales/F.../roscolux.html and the color is #23. i had to double it up to get the perfect match.

the headunit originally looks like this without the film:

hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 11:47 PM   #59
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep

exactly what i was looking for nick! You have been a GREAT help. I will order the face plate since it looks like it fixes exactly what I complained about! Once I come back from my trip I will probably install a 8 inch sub and move the amps to under the seats. I have some good concepts running through my head and can't wait to work on them!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #60
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep

more videos on how to run/fish cables in Z4.

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7uPm0elFacA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7uPm0elFacA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bJQs0QJi7bY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bJQs0QJi7bY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #61
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep

Just to keep this going as it's an on-going project. I got a local shop to do the installation of my speakers. Lack of time and all the tools really killed it for me..

I've been planning for some trunk clean up. I'm getting a JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 8 inch sub to put in the rear. The measurements work out perfectly and with the sub, crossovers, and amps it'll only use up the rear portion (the one stepped level where the battery exists) of the trunk space. This leaves me with the larger/longer portion which is perfect (my suitcase and duffle bags will fit just fine).

Overall the sound quality is great, whoever suggest rainbow speakers should get a gold star
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 11:23 PM   #62
sketchy9
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Quote:
Just to keep this going as it's an on-going project. I got a local shop to do the installation of my speakers. Lack of time and all the tools really killed it for me..

I've been planning for some trunk clean up. I'm getting a JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 8 inch sub to put in the rear. The measurements work out perfectly and with the sub, crossovers, and amps it'll only use up the rear portion (the one stepped level where the battery exists) of the trunk space. This leaves me with the larger/longer portion which is perfect (my suitcase and duffle bags will fit just fine).

Overall the sound quality is great, whoever suggest rainbow speakers should get a gold star
Prophet, I see you're in LA. What local shop did you use? I want to have done exactly what you did, but am too ignorant of car stereo installation and too pressed for time to do it myself. I've looked into this for a while but am reluctant to go to any random shop-- it would be huge plus to have a recommendation. Cheers,

-R
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #63
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep

I used beach city motor sports in long beach(562/218.5000). They were familiar with the z so it was easy for them to work on. The prices weren't too bad, they did the entire front 3 speakers for roughly 100 bucks. Considering I was there for a good 3+ hours since they installed it correctly i'd say it was fair enough. The only issue was my car didn't have the handles put in correctly afterwards, which is no biggy since I just snapped them back into place..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #64
03-z4-fl
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

How to install a aftermarket radio with DSP and keep everything else stock

I have finished my 03 Z4 aftermarket radio mod. and it work just fine.
I worked out the kinks and here is your answer to every radio with dsp and you want to install:
a new radio( HU ) (head unit) (reciever) ( that thing you play while driving).

THE CAR: 2003 Z4 3.0i business cd radio with dsp, rds, phone
aftermarket radio: dvd 7" receiver

The core issue was the DSP so i will just stick to that.

MAKE SURE YOU EITHER LABEL OR WRITE DOWN ALL THE WIRES AND COLORS AND WHAT THEY DO BEFORE YOU BEGIN.
also leave enough wire when you cut anything because you might have to attach wire to it.. common sense .

All you have to do is install the factory radio somewhere else in the car.
( under seat ) ( behind seat ) ( trunk ) where ever you want.

My Z4 - its behind the passenger seat

next is you want to run wiring to the factory radio (behind seat)from the factory harness ( front dash ).

ok what wiring.
All the wires except the speaker wires.
what i did was cut the main harness at the dash area ( where the new radio is going) . i used the harness to plug back into the factory radio (behind seat).
the ran power wire-like the cord to a toaster that plugs into a wall outlet without the toaster and plug of course ( a/c power cord ) ( extension cord )
I used this wiring for all the wires. you need to know what is what remember.

I connected all the wiring to the factory radio (behind seat) to the front radio harness (dash) and also wired the new radio to the same wiring (dash)
*+POS , ACC+ , remote , memory etc. and then the speaker wires (in my case its a 2 channel input *dsp*) .

Set the factory radio to the bass, treble, fade, etc. that you want.
then forget it there leave radio on and it will shut off when car is off and turn on when you turn the key.

There are many more steps to make this happen search for the steps for better direction.

steps
*remove vent
*remove radio
*prep all wires
*get a radio install kit and install
*ETC.

THE END STORY IS I HAVE A 7"DVD AFTERMARKET RADIO INSTALLED IN MY 2003 BMW Z4 3.0I THAT HAS DSP AND I AM STILL USING MY 10 SPEAKER FACTORY SYSTEM AND FACTORY AMP.
COST = THE PRICE OF RADIO $140.00, WIRES $5.00, KITS $10.00, TAPE $3.00, MY TIME = $158.00

I did not need the wiring harness for an aftermarket radio because cutting the factory harness was easy and used that socket for the factory radio.

My case was i had to attach the power, acc, dimmer, ground, ibus, phone, phone mute,antenna wires to the factory radio. all but the speakers is the only way it worked..

Any questions google it
if you have this car you can email me for details
limitedshots@gmail.com
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 06:57 AM   #65
melbs
Rep
Drives: 2003 2.5i E85 Z4

guys i'm about to do the following to my 2003 2.5i z4 with hifi system (10 speakers, amp at the trunk, without dsp):

1. change my hu to pioneer p99
2. keep using the stock amp and speakers (hifi system, no dsp)

i've been back reading and some posts says i cannot use an aftermarket hu (gvbelgium, reach) while others have posted it worked for them (blacksapphirez4 and strokez)

if i understand correctly, all i need are the following parts:

1. scosche z4 radio bezel kit link: http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/product/484
2. scosche bmw link: http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/product/691
3. antenna adapter link: http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/product/212

to intall, i just have to plug the antenna power to pin 13 to power on the stock amp correct?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #66
03-z4-fl
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbs View Post
guys i'm about to do the following to my 2003 2.5i z4 with hifi system (10 speakers, amp at the trunk, without dsp):

1. change my hu to pioneer p99
2. keep using the stock amp and speakers (hifi system, no dsp)

i've been back reading and some posts says i cannot use an aftermarket hu (gvbelgium, reach) while others have posted it worked for them (blacksapphirez4 and strokez)

if i understand correctly, all i need are the following parts:

1. scosche z4 radio bezel kit link: http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/product/484
2. scosche bmw link: http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/product/691
3. antenna adapter link: http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/product/212

to intall, i just have to plug the antenna power to pin 13 to power on the stock amp correct?

I know that bezel kit sucks for the z4. i got that one and doesnt fit right.
As for the non dsp, from what i know all you need is the basic kit.

so, yes that is it.! from what i have read about non-dsp systems
Appreciate 0