ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-28-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
Csa225
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe

~480 rwhp traction problems solved !

Spoke with a local (Rockville, MD) tire shop owner who has a racing background and plenty of BMW experience and knowledge. Told him that my Pilot Super Sports are average at best when getting on the hammer in 1st and 2nd gear. That's a given to anyone who has a supercharged z4m.

Currently have 19x9 and 19x10 apex wheels and wanted to keep them. We went with the Toyo Proxes r888 'semi slicks' which are 100% road legal and fine if you get caught out in the rain. Interesting part is that we went with a square tire set up of 265 30 zr19 all around. Toyos run wider to begin with and I had to raise my rear coils a turn to prevent a very very slight rub.

Now to the good stuff. I didn't expect what they offered. Very first-time on full throttle with no heating up of the tires and ZERO wheel spin! I honestly haven't ever experienced my car's power in 1st gear without any amount if spinning. Incredible. Its an entire different beast. Day and night.

Anyone with big power and traction issues should look into these. Handling is better than the Pilot's and the ride even seems better. Couldn't be happier. Oh and they look the business too!
Bad ass all the way.

Cheers,
Corey
Appreciate 2
yousefnjr6115.00
StickMon635.00
      05-29-2017, 04:13 AM   #2
pcube
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, G20 320i

Glad you're happy with them, but word of caution - don't go driving in the rain expecting it to behave like the Michelin PSS. The R888 does not handle standing water well at all. Wet performance is really quite terrible. Speaking from experience, went through a few sets as my dedicated track tires for around 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 06:39 AM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
R888's are ok but they heat cycle out quick. If this is a street car, I think you would've been better off with NT01's
      05-30-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Always wondered what a set of R type tires would do to that insane power level. Glad these help. Another type to look at down the road are Pilot Sport Cup tires that come in 265 and 275 in various aspects in 19", as well as 235 and 245 again in various aspects. Not cheap, but damn sticky.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 07:16 PM   #5
Csa225
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcube View Post
Glad you're happy with them, but word of caution - don't go driving in the rain expecting it to behave like the Michelin PSS. The R888 does not handle standing water well at all. Wet performance is really quite terrible. Speaking from experience, went through a few sets as my dedicated track tires for around 2 years.
You're right. I hardly can find time to drive when it's nice out so rain usually isn't an issue unless I get caught out in it randomly. Hell, I'm scared to drive this thing in the rain!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 07:20 PM   #6
Csa225
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
R888's are ok but they heat cycle out quick. If this is a street car, I think you would've been better off with NT01's
Looked into those during my research. Don't think they are offered in my sizes for 19" wheels. But yeah, i definitely looked into those as they have good reviews as well.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 03:48 AM   #7
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Glad you liked it but this is all wrong.
First of all r888 are awful in the rain.
They can be used for street driving but don't expect them to last.

Nt01 are Just as bad in the rain.
Personal experience. I had to drive 40mph in the highway when it was raining hard. 60mph and my car would start losing grip. It was terrifying and I'm never running Rcomp in the rain ever again.
Sorry but I can't let you state wrong information by saying r888 are ok in the rain.

If you want a sticky tire that is also ok in the rain, you should look for hankook rs4, Bridgestone re71r, ad08, maxxis vr1
yousefnjr6115.00
Vanne1593.00
      05-31-2017, 09:23 AM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriuSen View Post

Personal experience. I had to drive 40mph in the highway when it was raining hard. 60mph and my car would start losing grip. It was terrifying and I'm never running Rcomp in the rain ever again.
Sorry but I can't let you state wrong information by saying r888 are ok in the rain.

If you want a sticky tire that is also ok in the rain, you should look for hankook rs4, Bridgestone re71r, ad08, maxxis vr1
My push for NT's is that they last longer than r888's but both are R-comps and regular street driving isn't really going to get enough heat in them. But of the 2 Nitto's seemed like the better choice based on longevity alone. And I agree, they will both be bad in the rain lol.

Out of your second list I really like the AD08R's.
      05-31-2017, 12:28 PM   #9
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriuSen View Post

My push for NT's is that they last longer than r888's but both are R-comps and regular street driving isn't really going to get enough heat in them. But of the 2 Nitto's seemed like the better choice based on longevity alone. And I agree, they will both be bad in the rain lol.

Out of your second list I really like the AD08R's.
Yeap. Nt01 is by far the better tire overall for Rcomp. Can't beat that!!

But if you want a Rcomp that lasts long, try to maxxis rc1. Really good tire for the winter at the track. However it's the worse in the rain. Lol
      05-31-2017, 08:58 PM   #10
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Csa225, I live in Montgomery county and it's super rare to see a Z4MC in the area, besides mine... I did see a black one in the Rockville area once, maybe it was yours?
Appreciate 0