ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-19-2016, 04:33 PM   #1
centuryboats
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0i

Bought Carly for BMW

I went ahead and took a chance to get the Carly for BMW. I am for the most part impressed. I have a 2007 Z4 3.0i. I wasn't sure how well it would work so I purchased the correct adapter which cost me around $40 and downloaded the free lite app to make sure it all worked. I started with the diagnosis program (that reads any fault codes) and sure enough it pulled up several old codes (none of which were to the point I showed a light). I played wth the coding section and was able to see all the various options for coding things like the top, unlocking, lighting etc. Seeing it worked I purchased the full app (you can't erase fault codes or code the vehicle with the lite edition). The full app was $59. I ran diagnostics again pulled up all fault coses and easily erased them. Then I went into vehicle codes and played around and changed a couple. It even backs up your old coding in case you make a mistake. All in all, VERY Easy! Well worth the money as I was going to pay a dealer to do the coding.

The cons: doesn't yet allow you to reset service or oil (a $10 tool from ebay did that just fine). Other than that it does everything I need. I think it was a good investment!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 04:43 PM   #2
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by centuryboats View Post
I went ahead and took a chance to get the Carly for BMW. I am for the most part impressed. I have a 2007 Z4 3.0i. I wasn't sure how well it would work so I purchased the correct adapter which cost me around $40 and downloaded the free lite app to make sure it all worked. I started with the diagnosis program (that reads any fault codes) and sure enough it pulled up several old codes (none of which were to the point I showed a light). I played wth the coding section and was able to see all the various options for coding things like the top, unlocking, lighting etc. Seeing it worked I purchased the full app (you can't erase fault codes or code the vehicle with the lite edition). The full app was $59. I ran diagnostics again pulled up all fault coses and easily erased them. Then I went into vehicle codes and played around and changed a couple. It even backs up your old coding in case you make a mistake. All in all, VERY Easy! Well worth the money as I was going to pay a dealer to do the coding.

The cons: doesn't yet allow you to reset service or oil (a $10 tool from ebay did that just fine). Other than that it does everything I need. I think it was a good investment!
Sounds interesting. Did you purchase their WIFI OBDII adapter or use one of the generic ones?

You can reset the service/inspection cycle without any tools, if you're talking about what I think you're talking about. It is entirely possible you are not talking about what I'm thinking about.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 05:29 PM   #3
centuryboats
Rep

Bought the android obd/usb cable. There is an option to reset but not for my car. I realize I don't need the reader for that so no problem. Bought on Amazon and had it in 3 days
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 06:17 PM   #4
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

thanks for the tip. I've actually been considering buying a cheap refurbished laptop to setup NCS Expert, now it looks like I won't need to do that.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #5
centuryboats
Rep

Here is where I found the info: http://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 01:58 PM   #6
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
which settings are you using within the app? when I connected mine it reads and codes perfectly on my 328xi but only reads and resets codes okn the Z... I can't get it to code.
      02-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #7
centuryboats
Rep

There are a few different adapters. The ODB/USB cable works for the Z. The other bluetooth adapters might be required
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 03:56 PM   #8
E86Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3.0si

I have the free version of this app as well with a cheapo Bluetooth adapter and I've pulled codes on most cars wirh no issues. Unfortunately I can't code with the adapter on my 06 3.0si. I will buy the cable and full version soon
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 04:08 PM   #9
centuryboats
Rep

You have to have the cable as they say on their website that using another cable might limit the ability to code. The lite version (free) will read but not reset codes, it requires the full version. They have the lite version just for you to determine if it will work on your car
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 07:02 PM   #10
Honorebel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Coupe

Do they make a cable for iphone? I didn't see one on their site just the wifi adaptor. I'm wondering if this will work to reset fault codes, program etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 08:40 AM   #11
centuryboats
Rep

As I understand it the only thing they have that will work for the Z4 is the ODB/USB Android cable.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 07:19 PM   #12
E86Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by centuryboats View Post
You have to have the cable as they say on their website that using another cable might limit the ability to code. The lite version (free) will read but not reset codes, it requires the full version. They have the lite version just for you to determine if it will work on your car
Maybe my terminology is wrong about clearing vs resetting engine codes. I have had the dash light on, fixed whatever the problem was and then reset the code (clearing the engine light). I did this with my Bluetooth adapter however I'm not sure if it was with Carly lite or torque lite (also free)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 07:44 AM   #13
jawolf
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive30i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Carley for BMW Z4

I started having an idle miss on Friday and it progressively got worse to the point that the car would not maintain highway speeds and the check engine light came on. I pulled over and turned the car off and the light went out but the car still had the miss although not as bad and the light came on again. I tried turning the car off again but the light and miss remained this time.

I got home and ordered the Carley for BMW generation II adapter and downloaded the pro software to my Iphone 6. I cleared the codes and test drove the car. I still have the miss but the light is not on. I did not have much time to mess with it but that app tells you everything about the car in detail. Maybe too much detail, I was just hoping for a change this part to fix your car and it probably does that and I just have not figured it out yet. I downloaded and printed the reports so I can look at them when I get a chance. I did not need a cable to connect, the adapter wifis to your Iphone or Ipad. My car is a 2011 Z4 (E89).

Hope I figure out what the miss is. On the highway at 2500 RPM it sounded like it was riding a rev limiter.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 11:12 PM   #14
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Dude that CEL light is there for a reason, especially if it sounds like a diesel, id either refrain from driving it, or drive it to your nearest BMW mechanic (indy or stealer) to get that sorted, if you cant sort it yourself asap. what codes did it throw up?