ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-20-2016, 04:22 PM   #1
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Help removing center console door

Has anyone removed the center console door to the storage shelves? I need some advice.

I've read the TIS on installing the CD Changer, and so I tried lowering the door and pulling it slowly toward the front of the car as the guide suggests, but I'm worried I'm going to break something. I'm tried it with the screws both in and out. I'm pulling what I think is very hard, and it is not coming off those plastic support brackets.

I'm going to have to pull my center console to get to my cables, so I can install an Intravee. They are not loose in the trunk. :-(

Thanks for any help.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 05:30 PM   #2
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

You're not going to like my answer, but I gave up after about an hour of messing with it the first time and just tore off the door. I had the FAQ with pictures and everything, and I still couldn't get the door off. I could tear the rest of the interior apart in about 15 minutes, but that door would not budge.

So I tore it off, and broke something in it. However, I can still put the door in its place and it locks in while driving. It only comes undone again when I open it, but when I'm done, I just simply put it back and it sticks fine.

Ghetto fabulous but whatever, nobody can tell just by looking at it.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2016, 07:44 PM   #3
Varinn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

My door never quite felt right after taking everything apart, the release button broke off one day a month or so after the fact. Finnicky little prick that center console is... It sits in there and looks alright, but every time I open it the button falls out.

Shame the piece is so damn expensive to replace too.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2016, 07:56 PM   #4
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

Aren't you supposed to put a paperclip in the door to release it first? You still have to pull harder than you want to, but my door has been off and back on with no adverse effects. If I remember right, the TIS says to tilt the door a little, use a paperclip (inserted in a small hole on the passenger side of the door) and pull. Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have access to a TIS right now, but I did that.. The paperclip is used either to remove or install the door (I forgot which). The reason my door was off was to put a screw in the bottom of the door to hit the light switch.

/// Vibra-Technics motor mounts /// Autosolutions SSK /// RE Tranny mounts /// Aero Turbine Exhaust /// Beisan Vanos upgrades /// SDW rtabs /// Fortune Auto 500
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #5
Varinn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

You may be right, I had my entire interior out for some leak repairs way back so mine was a bit of a different animal. Either way, bmw plastic sucks!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 08:26 PM   #6
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignosejim View Post
Aren't you supposed to put a paperclip in the door to release it first? You still have to pull harder than you want to, but my door has been off and back on with no adverse effects. If I remember right, the TIS says to tilt the door a little, use a paperclip (inserted in a small hole on the passenger side of the door) and pull. Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have access to a TIS right now, but I did that.. The paperclip is used either to remove or install the door (I forgot which). The reason my door was off was to put a screw in the bottom of the door to hit the light switch.
Jim, I just ran out and checked, and there is a small pin hole on the passenger side of the door. The installation guide I have for the CD changer doesn't mention the paper clip. Thanks so much. I'll give that a try when I have some daylight, tomorrow.

Do you recall if you removed the two small screws on the bracket that holds the door, or is that unnecessary?

Thanks again, my friend. I think you've provided the missing link.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 08:37 PM   #7
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
You're not going to like my answer, but I gave up after about an hour of messing with it the first time and just tore off the door. I had the FAQ with pictures and everything, and I still couldn't get the door off. I could tear the rest of the interior apart in about 15 minutes, but that door would not budge.

So I tore it off, and broke something in it. However, I can still put the door in its place and it locks in while driving. It only comes undone again when I open it, but when I'm done, I just simply put it back and it sticks fine.

Ghetto fabulous but whatever, nobody can tell just by looking at it.
Sorry about your door, NickyC. Thanks for the info. I wonder if yours has the paper clip hole on the passenger side. I wonder why BMWs instructions didn't mention that.

Salty

Last edited by SaltyNC; 02-21-2016 at 07:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 11:18 PM   #8
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I also tried and failed. Didn't break it, just gave up.
IIRC I was trying to replace missing screws underneath.
P.O. had removed the entire center section to unplug the latch motor, which I guess failed, and really bunged up the re-installation.
      02-21-2016, 10:32 AM   #9
JCF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

Do you really have to pull the center console? I thought there is a pass through in a corner and I think there's a break off plate in there as well for a second pass through.

Take a look at the bavsound soundplicity installation video to get an idea of what routing is available. You should have room to mount it in the trunk behind the carpet where the DSP is unless you think you'll need to access it a lot.
/// LED Lighting /// Pedal Haus M aluminum pedals and heel plate /// BMW logo puddle lights /// CF wrapped console /// LeatherZ MK4 console storage, armrests, door pulls /// ZHP illuminated shift knob /// BMW under seat storage /// Soundplicity III /// Stubby Antenna /// Eventuri Intake /// Tekcarbon CF valve cover /// Stromung exhaust /// Rogue Engineering Transmission Mounts ///3rd brake light blinker
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2016, 07:35 PM   #10
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Figured it out

Hey guys,

I'm happy to report I figured out the center console door removal. I'll put up a DIY when I get a chance. I took pictures along the way. The trick is the paper clip (Thanks bignosejim!!), or in my case, a section of wire coat hanger, but it isn't used to press on anything inside the hole. That's the secret sauce. :-)

First, open the door and remove the two small screws from the door bracket. I took a wire coat hanger and snipped off about a 3 inch long piece. Now, raise the door until it is almost closed and insert the wire into the hole. The wire will go into the hole about 1.5". Allow the door to fall open. You'll notice that the door doesn't open fully. The wire rod is used to set the correct door angle that is needed to remove the door. With the door being held partially open with the wire rod, pull hard on the door in the direction the door is being held open. Pop. It's done. The door comes off without breaking anything.

I have to admit, after figuring this out, I felt like I had just solved a riddle from the movie National Treasure. :-)

And then I had to proceed to tear the entire interior out behind my seats, because they taped the cd changer wires under the center compartment shelf. I wouldn't wish that job on an enemy. But, woot, it's done! Intravee II is installed.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 07:40 PM   #11
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCF View Post
Do you really have to pull the center console? I thought there is a pass through in a corner and I think there's a break off plate in there as well for a second pass through.

Take a look at the bavsound soundplicity installation video to get an idea of what routing is available. You should have room to mount it in the trunk behind the carpet where the DSP is unless you think you'll need to access it a lot.
Yeah, JC, in my case, the person at the factory taped the wires I needed for the CD changer to the metal bodywork underneath the center console shelf. I tried pulling it through to the trunk, but those wires would not budge. I think most people found their wires loosely tucked in the trunk. If the wires hadn't been taped, it would have been about a 10 minute job. I am mounting my Intravee in the trunk beside the Carver amp.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 08:37 PM   #12
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

Glad you got it!

/// Vibra-Technics motor mounts /// Autosolutions SSK /// RE Tranny mounts /// Aero Turbine Exhaust /// Beisan Vanos upgrades /// SDW rtabs /// Fortune Auto 500
Appreciate 0