ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
SimpleMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 2.5i

How do you guys keep your engine clean?

My engine has a nice layer of dust all over. It's been sitting around collecting dust most of its life. I'd like to clean it up but I'm not sure if I should have a professional do it or do it myself?

Are there any do it yourself guides out there for my engine?

Does anyone know of a good shop in the Portland Oregon area that can do it? I'd also like to get the underbody cleaned.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

When I worked as a car wash grunt at a Ford dealer as a kid we used to just spray degreaser all over the engine and then hose it down. Never had an issue, believe it or not. Nowadays, with my MR baby I think I'd just use a spray bottle filled with water and vinegar and hand wipe with a rag.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
When I wash my car I have a "clean" MF towel which I use to dry most of the car surface and a "dirty" MF towel which I use to dry the rocker panels, wheels and exhaust. I also use the dirty towel to wipe down the engine bay every time I wash the car.

Depending on how hard your local water is, if you hose off the entire engine compartment you could leave water spots on any surface that you don't completely dry off which could be more unsightly than just dust which could be easily wiped off, especially with a little spray-on engine bay dressing (Griot's Garage).

My last car was an S2000 that I had for 13 years and 90,000 miles. When I sold it to buy my M the engine compartment looked like brand new.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

I asked the guys at eshine this question and they recommended Poorboys Natural Look Dressing...not for washing down but for shinning up. Looks awesome!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

I use Aerospace 303
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
Urluz3n
Lackey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW M Coupe

I got to be honest all I ever get is a light dust on the engine. My MZ4 Coupe engine stays cleaner than any bimmer I have ever had. I only open the hood and pull out my leaf blower and suddenly the engine is clean!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

^ this; except for the blower part.
...stays cleaner than any other car that I've owned
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
Shota15
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
I use Simple Green, then rinse, dry and a light mist of Griots Engine Bay Dressing.

Before:

After:

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 03:02 AM   #9
SimpleMan
Private First Class
Rep

Now that's what I'm talking about. I want my engine to look like yours. So what do you cover prior to hitting it with the Simple Green?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shota15 View Post
I use Simple Green, then rinse, dry and a light mist of Griots Engine Bay Dressing.

Before:

After:

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 03:36 AM   #10
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Make sure u water down the Simple Green. Full strength can be bad for some of the metal bits with prolonged use. Great method tho, followed by a good dressing.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #11
Walkurie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster / 99 Jaguar XK8

Wiping it down after every wash is the key. Maybe once or twice a year, use some metal polish on all the metal bits and take the time to wipe the corners and crevices clean. Spending about 10 minutes a week keeps it looking good. The 303 is great on the rubber and plastic parts. When you have an assembly apart, like when doing the valves or the VANOS, take the extra time to clean the areas you normally cannot access.
      11-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

I have simply used a water hose to rinse off the inside then dried with a towel. If there is more dirt than a light dust I will use the remaining soapy car wash water and give it a quick wash down.

If I spill oil or fluid during a service I'll bring over to the local car wash spray with some Simple Green then use the sprayer to get off the nasty stuff.

Never had an issue and have done this for years on cars. Also good for getting winter salt out of the engine bay.

Having said all that, my Z4 engine bay has stayed cleaner than any other vehicle since there are so many covers to keep the dirt out.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC & R1200S

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Make sure u water down the Simple Green. Full strength can be bad for some of the metal bits with prolonged use. Great method tho, followed by a good dressing.
+1

If you want a nasty surprise, soak a bike chain in "original formula" simple green for several days and then try and re-use it. Wear a helmet.

EDIT - Simple Green has responded by creating aircraft grade Extreme Simple Green, reformulated to avoid corrosion.

Last edited by EenyBear; 11-27-2012 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #14
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by EenyBear View Post
+1

If you want a nasty surprise, soak a bike chain in "original formula" simple green for several days and then try and re-use it. Wear a helmet.

EDIT - Simple Green has responded by creating aircraft grade Extreme Simple Green, reformulated to avoid corrosion.
I guess it works as designed then; to remove grease and grime.

I've used a light spray of Simple Green Automotive formula on a pre dampened engine bay for years. Followed by a good light mist rinse on the motor and pressure washer elsewhere. Never used a dressing afterward but it does look nice
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #15
Shota15
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Now that's what I'm talking about. I want my engine to look like yours. So what do you cover prior to hitting it with the Simple Green?
I do this prior to washing the exterior and the engine is cold, I spray the exterior of the car with water first. Open the hood and then spray the engine compartment with simple green (I use full strength not diluted) You can use a small brush to clean any hard to reach areas if needed. Then I start the car and rinse the engine compartment and exterior with the hose and turn engine off when done rinsing. Then I wash the rest of the car with Meguiar's Shampoo & Conditioner. I dry the car and engine compartment with a blower and finish drying with a chamois or soft towel. I let it set for a while prior the applying the engine bay dressing.

I spray the exterior with water first in case I get any simple green on the paint and windshield as this will dilute it and not cause it to stain. I also run the engine while rinsing in case the car starts to skip or stall, I stop putting water on it. (I have never had any problems with this on any newer cars it is just a habit now)
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
SimpleMan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shota15 View Post
I do this prior to washing the exterior and the engine is cold, I spray the exterior of the car with water first. Open the hood and then spray the engine compartment with simple green (I use full strength not diluted) You can use a small brush to clean any hard to reach areas if needed. Then I start the car and rinse the engine compartment and exterior with the hose and turn engine off when done rinsing. Then I wash the rest of the car with Meguiar's Shampoo & Conditioner. I dry the car and engine compartment with a blower and finish drying with a chamois or soft towel. I let it set for a while prior the applying the engine bay dressing.

I spray the exterior with water first in case I get any simple green on the paint and windshield as this will dilute it and not cause it to stain. I also run the engine while rinsing in case the car starts to skip or stall, I stop putting water on it. (I have never had any problems with this on any newer cars it is just a habit now)
So I take it you don't cover anything up, e.g., alternator?

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #17
EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC & R1200S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
I guess it works as designed then; to remove grease and grime.
I guess this isn't as widely known as I thought. Yes, the surfactants work as an excellent degreaser. But long term exposure causes grief.

SG Original is either corrosive (denied by the company) or it causes brittlement and cracking (as reported by 'experts') with longer term exposure. Either leads to premature failure of metal parts.

So, my suggestion to wear a helmet springs from the likelihood that as soon as you hammer on the pedals the chain will break and... well... a helmet might help.

I use the stuff on my bikes etc. but I don't soak anything in it... and I rinse and apply a light oil dressing on any metal parts.

We now return you to your original programming.

I cannot seem to get any dirt into the engine bay. It still looks new. But I'm taking notes for when it happens.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #18
Shota15
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
So I take it you don't cover anything up, e.g., alternator?

Thanks guys!
No, I do not cover anything, I've been doing it this way for 20+ years, the only time I ever had an issue was on My SHO and water got into the spark plug wells because they no longer seated properly due to the discontinuation of the original spark plug and the replacements were a little taller causing it not to seat. So I would have to suck the water out with a shop vac
Appreciate 0