ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-30-2017, 07:44 PM   #1
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2003 Z4

Volume on radio

I believe the volume control on my radio is broken. I initially believe the knob was broken so I order a new one. However, after pulling the old one off it appeared (the old knob) ok. I then spayed wd-40 on the control arm (saw this on youtube) which did nothing. However, when spinning the control rod I notice there was no stop on either high or low and would spin endlessly in either direction. Can someone check by spinning their volune knob right and then left....is their a stop or do they spin endlessly in either direction???
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
It is a digital volume knob. There are no stops in either direction. After you pulled off the knob, which is purely cosmetic, was the post/control loose?

This might help you:

If it isn't the plastic control mount issue, this will give you an idea of how to replace the volume control, if they are available separately. This radio will be a little different in your car, but should be similar.

Do you get any sound at all? It may not be the volume knob.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete

Last edited by SaltyNC; 10-30-2017 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 06:01 AM   #3
VindieselJetta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4m

I recently had the exact same thing happen in my M Roady. Knob spins but volume adjustment doesn’t happen. As you mentioned, knob spins endlessly in either direction. Doesn’t help that there is no volume level indicator :/

I hate this reciever but crutchfield tells me if I replace it I need to rewire to all the speakers. FML!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 06:37 AM   #4
VindieselJetta
Private First Class
Rep

Quick addendum for salty-I do get sound, and can adjust volume if I spin it many times. Knob is a little loose, but not as broken as it shows in that video.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 08:05 AM   #5
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Your best bet may be to try to find a wrecked Z4 and get a deal on a replacement radio, and either swap it or use it for parts. The issue with the e46 radio is a mechanical one, and so the plastic mount became available through resellers, ebay, etc, but that mount was probably changed in our radios. If, and it is a BIG IF, the volume control could be found, it would be a simple swap, but I think you'll have a very hard time finding the volume control, and it may not be the actual volume controller that you turn, but something on the amplifier circuit within the radio. It really stinks, because if it is a bad volume control, it's probably made of about $5-$10 worth of parts.

What happens if you use the volume control on the steering wheel? If that works, then that would help determine where the failure occurs.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 09:02 AM   #6
VindieselJetta
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Salty. I removed my steering controls to clean up the steering wheel so I can’t tell unfortunately.

Jas - another option would be the z4 radio rebuild option on BavTek (same company you can buy the knob from). Costs 120 and they state it can fix buttons and knobs. Would pain me to spend that on a the junky oem unit though.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 12:43 PM   #7
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

It's probably an optical rotary encoder.
There's a plastic wheel with slots that sits between 2 infrared LED/sensor pairs.
Maybe it's dusty. Maybe the LEDs or sensors are weakening.
Mine seems to work faster in the volume up direction than the down direction, so it's in the early stage of failure.
      10-31-2017, 08:12 PM   #8
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep

My 03 Z doesn't have steering wheel controls. Once I pulled the knob, the metal post feels very solid. I strayed WD-40 into the center area of this metal post and then turn the metal post one way, then the other direction. The volume went out for awhile....then by spinning it I got it back up ....but just so much.

Do you think contact cleaner. I'm not sure the plastic part will help, only because the metal post is actually solid.

I'm going to have to call that Bavtek...I just want to make sure they can actually fix this issue. They also offer a bigger rebuild ....but for a lot more $$. This may actually require the wider rebuild.

There's always junk yards and ebay. However, each might have their own issues.

However, for now I'll ride around with a mid-level volume on the radio.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 11:12 AM   #9
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Given that it's probably LEDs shining through slots in a wheel, and not physical contacts, compressed air is your best bet.
The output of infrared LEDs do degrade slowly with age, so eventually it will just be kaput.
You need the little circuit board with the shaft that the guy removes in the video.

So do I.
I was listening to Hannity last night on the way home from work and everybody started talking at once.
Drives me crazy.
Steering wheel was upside down because I was waiting to pull out of a gas station.
Dove on the knob to turn it down., and nothing.
      11-01-2017, 04:13 PM   #10
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Jas,

If you can get the volume control out of the radio, you might be able to find a part number, and if you can find a part number, you might be able to find the part from someone like Digi-Key.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/...s/encoders/507

Salty
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #11
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
my 03 did this exact same thing, i found a repair place online, sent it to them(was around $125) as i recall...
      11-08-2017, 10:03 PM   #12
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

So there I was diddling my knob when I discovered why it works better in the volume up direction than down.
I usually turn it up rather slowly, but often turn it down in a screaming hurry when something comes on with people yelling or the 1-877-Kars-4-Kids jingle.

It works the same in both directions, it just doesn't work very well if you spin it too fast.
      11-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #13
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep

Stickmon. I gave your compressed air a shot. However, I didn't loosen the nut on the metal post. (I didn't want to loosen this nut because the white plastic part behind it is apparently very ez to break or...brittle with age). Anyway, it didn't work. (maybe it would if the nut was released)

Anyway, I read a post by a radio repair outfit which suggested contact cleaner for bmw radio's with volume issues. I went to Home depot & purchased CRC contact cleaner for about $8.00. I again used this stuff with nut on the metal post and sprayed in the slots of the white plastic as well as the metal post. Afterwards, I tried the volume and it appears to allow the volume now to increase to it's full range (yea, it also can be decrease). So, if your beginning to have issues try this.
Appreciate 1
StickMon635.00
      11-14-2017, 03:02 PM   #14
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

OK, I think my guess that it was an optical encoder was off.
Just sliding contacts then.