ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-13-2012, 12:20 AM   #23
RobertRO
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I would also be very interested in $5000 turbo kit for Z4M, provided that:
- it is a low boost set-up. Expected performance: min. 430 HP crank ( about +25% over factory);
- it runs on pump gas;
- it is targeted on long-term reliability and driveability, rather than performance;
- it is designed with excellent heat management, allowing long high-speed or full boost runs without heating up;
- preserves the emission class of the vehicle (i.e. Euro4 class in Europe), passing the regular roadworthiness tests in any country (e.g. MOT in UK, TUV in Germany);
- the installation of the turbo kit is not engine intrusive (meaning that it doesn't require the replacement of the factory pistons, cams, etc.), and it's reversible (meaning that one can go back to the factory set-up);
- the manufacturer provides proper documentation for DIY installation and maintenance, as well as prompt post-sale technical support;
- it universal for all E85/E86 Z4M cars delivered worldwide (US/Euro versions).
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 02:16 AM   #24
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M coupe 2007 IL Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
In for someone else to try this first. And if successful, I shall follow

X2, I smell trouble for us Lon!

|OEM Strut bar|ZHP Knob lighted|RPI Scoop|Zeckhausen Modified CDV|DIY Clutch Stop|Camber shim kit|
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #25
BIMMERGUY91
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335I M Sport

Glad to see there is interest. The goal will be to first produce a stage 1 reliable low boost application while still making good power numbers
2007 Z4MC #1019/1815 (Sold)
1997 M3 (Sold)
1991 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #26
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
In for someone else to try this first. And if successful, I shall follow
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl1pt View Post

X3. You two are a bad influence on me.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #27
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMERGUY91 View Post
Dark Schnitzer if you have some inputs please give them! We need as much input as we can get.
The V-band clamps for the flange points makes for a great manageable install or removal ! Nice !

I have always used Tial pressure components, so I have no word on the Turbosmart units.

Someone will need to investigate the duty-cycle and flow rates of the stock injectors to see if they'll be up to the fuel delivery task for low boost or if they'll need to be upgraded. I personally ALWAYS CC my injectors to make sure they are flow matched/blueprinted. Not a big deal to do or have done.-(bench test).

Rubber elbows/couplers are a no-no....silicone reinforced always.

Precision turbos have a great following with proven results. Keep in mind guys...ceramic bearing turbos will spool up generally 500 rpm sooner than base bronze bearing turbos. This can be important if you need that power earlier due to cam/torque points.

Everyone should investigate their local speed shops to determine if they'll have a good tuning source to keep this system truly on a budget and safely done.

Don't be afraid of learning the ropes of tuning on a laptop like thousands before you have done. It only makes sense due to the fact YOU will be the one driving and feeling/hearing the cars performance.

The GMC Syclone/Typhoon guys have been tuning their own turbo vehicles for decades on many different systems....both stand-alone ECU's and piggy-back based systems. Recently a Code-49 has been developed which taps right into the OEM ECU for lap-top tuning with ease and full fuel mapping adjustments to the inth' degree.

Even the newest Skyline GT-R R35 has been hacked properly with great HP gains and no detonation issues- (pre-mature detonation causes piston ring failures eventually).

The great thing about V-band clamps too is if one wants to later upgrade turbos...there is no additional fab work to do so. Not to mention the whole kit can be easily removed and brought back to stock for re-sale in good shape.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #28
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
ah i'd even be willing to donor my car! sucks im in canada
      01-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #29
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

im interested if the fuel setup could be figured out as well
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #30
BIMMERGUY91
Captain
Rep

Does anyone know what cc our injectors are and what the fuel pressure setting on our cars is? I can run some numbers if I can get this information
1997 M3 (Sold)
1991 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #31
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

5k doesnt seem possible how on earth?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #32
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

Either way its very good to finally see shops going after this.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #33
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
X3. You two are a bad influence on me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl1pt View Post

>=]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-Villalona View Post
Either way its very good to finally see shops going after this.
I hope you aren't backing out of the Lutz one
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #34
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Dude, Villalona backs out of so many things that he installed reverse HID bulbs (see what I did there?)

Believe me, if you build a $5k turbo kit, you WILL sell at least 15 of them here
      01-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #35
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
Dude, Villalona backs out of so many things that he installed reverse HID bulbs (see what I did there?)

Believe me, if you build a $5k turbo kit, you WILL sell at least 15 of them here
I know......I'm so jelly I bought a set of twin turbos and manifolds from an 08' 335i to begin a kit for my lowly non-aftermarket S.I. today !! Serious cat here !
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #36
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post

hahahahah good one
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #37
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

If you build it they will come. (see what I did there Roffle?)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #38
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

heh
      01-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #39
A4RingedONE8T
Private
Rep
Drives: Turbo ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer View Post
The V-band clamps for the flange points makes for a great manageable install or removal ! Nice !

I have always used Tial pressure components, so I have no word on the Turbosmart units.

Someone will need to investigate the duty-cycle and flow rates of the stock injectors to see if they'll be up to the fuel delivery task for low boost or if they'll need to be upgraded. I personally ALWAYS CC my injectors to make sure they are flow matched/blueprinted. Not a big deal to do or have done.-(bench test).

Rubber elbows/couplers are a no-no....silicone reinforced always.

Precision turbos have a great following with proven results. Keep in mind guys...ceramic bearing turbos will spool up generally 500 rpm sooner than base bronze bearing turbos. This can be important if you need that power earlier due to cam/torque points.

Everyone should investigate their local speed shops to determine if they'll have a good tuning source to keep this system truly on a budget and safely done.

Don't be afraid of learning the ropes of tuning on a laptop like thousands before you have done. It only makes sense due to the fact YOU will be the one driving and feeling/hearing the cars performance.

The GMC Syclone/Typhoon guys have been tuning their own turbo vehicles for decades on many different systems....both stand-alone ECU's and piggy-back based systems. Recently a Code-49 has been developed which taps right into the OEM ECU for lap-top tuning with ease and full fuel mapping adjustments to the inth' degree.

Even the newest Skyline GT-R R35 has been hacked properly with great HP gains and no detonation issues- (pre-mature detonation causes piston ring failures eventually).

The great thing about V-band clamps too is if one wants to later upgrade turbos...there is no additional fab work to do so. Not to mention the whole kit can be easily removed and brought back to stock for re-sale in good shape.
Holy SHIT you guys need to do some research before moving forward with this, so much lack of knowledge in this reply it's not even funny. This is going to be the 5k turbo kit that ends up costing you guys 15k because of all the fuck ups along the way. Sickens me to read this, please do some research, please!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #40
ZooyorQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

If it was this easy to do why wouldn't they have done it already for the E46 M3. There are literally about 100 or so turbo'd E46 M3's on the road right now. Why would they be trying to build a $5k kit for such a limited market.

But seriously.. you guys need to read the Maximum PSI thread on E46F. They're doing everything they can to make an affordable S54 Turbo kit and they have alot of experience turboing S52's.. I think right now they're looking at just shy of $10k and thats with a DME based tune.

By all means someone jump on this, and if your final bill comes out less than $6k .. and it drives fine for even a 1000 miles.. I'll eat my shoe.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 12:12 AM   #41
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Don't think hardware/kit has ever been the problem, it's still ecu tuning.
So unless you get something like the proefi or find someone to hack the ecu and get flashing you all might be stuck with a kit and no tune.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #42
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I think I found the thread, I bring back porcubimmer.

They don't have HP figures but say comparable to HPF stage 1 at a price of $9k, which is about 440 hp crank on pump gas.
      01-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #43
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4RingedONE8T View Post
Holy SHIT you guys need to do some research before moving forward with this, so much lack of knowledge in this reply it's not even funny. This is going to be the 5k turbo kit that ends up costing you guys 15k because of all the fuck ups along the way. Sickens me to read this, please do some research, please!
When you get over your sickness , mind doing a comment per comment on how those points are off ?
I for one certainly had no F'-ups with my previous builds as you say. They ran awesome and it did not cost me 15k since I did my own work and fab. I'm not sure why your attacking my post as I was only adding details to components.

Your response makes you temporarily sound like a jerk. Lets see if you can change that up ?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #44
BIMMERGUY91
Captain
Rep

OK guys like I said if youre not interested and you just want to be negative or flame then please remove restrain your self from further commentating before I get a moderator involved. This is for developing a reasonable priced turbo kit. If you dont want one then ok good for you cya! Maybe it will end up costing more than 5k but it is certainly going to be less the HPF even this tuning and everything.
1997 M3 (Sold)
1991 325i
Appreciate 0