ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #23
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
Just curious, how does the Z4 M suspension compare to the 2004 3.0i M sport suspension? I'm assuming its a direct swap, but would it be an upgrade?
The front suspension on the Z4M is from the E36 M3. The rear suspension is from the E46 and the trailing arms, control arms, sub frame mounts are the same across the Z4 models. The rear shocks, springs, and sway bar are different.
The M Sport suspension falls between the standard suspension and the M suspension.
OP, I'd recommend the Koni Sport struts and shocks with your stock springs so long as they don't have any signs of corrosion. The Koni's are adjustable so you can set the firmness to your liking and Koni's have a lifetime guarantee.
      05-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #24
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
The front suspension on the Z4M is from the E36 M3. The rear suspension is from the E46 and the trailing arms, control arms, sub frame mounts are the same across the Z4 models. The rear shocks, springs, and sway bar are different.
The M Sport suspension falls between the standard suspension and the M suspension.
OP, I'd recommend the Koni Sport struts and shocks with your stock springs so long as they don't have any signs of corrosion. The Koni's are adjustable so you can set the firmness to your liking and Koni's have a lifetime guarantee.
Front axle support, front wishbone, front reinforcement plate and front sway bar are different on the Z4 vs Z4M. At least the parts numbers are different, they might have the same mounting points though. The Z4M shares front end components with the E46 M3 (except the wishbones), not the E36 M3. It's the Z3M that shares front end components with the E36 M3, the Z3M rear end originates from the E30 if I'm not mistaken. When it comes to the rear end the Z4 vs Z4M share pretty much nothing, maybe the ABS-sensors.
Appreciate 0