ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-31-2008, 01:05 PM   #23
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversprint View Post
All the Z4M needs is better brakes pads and fluid. The car has more than enough brakes even for race tires.

Putting huge Big brake kits on a Z4M is a waste of money.

19s with huge BBKs are cool but you will be slower than a stock Z4M with proper tires and brake pads.
If I ever become rich, I'm going to put ceramic rotors/pads on my M Coupe.

As far as slower goes, the unsprung weight reduction between 17s and 19s with tires are minimal if you get a good forged wheel and low profile tires.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 12:38 AM   #24
silversprint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

The SSR wheels weigh about 15lbs in a 17x9. You will be luck to find a single wheel less than 20lbs in 19s.

Its not just the weight the biggest difference comes from a reduction in gearing when using smaller wheels and tires. Its similar to shorter gearing.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 10:59 PM   #25
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Well I got the TRmotorsport 17s and the dam things didn't clear the front brakes. I am livid right now. I need the wheels for the 4th. Maybe I'll mix and match with the SSRs or something.
      09-26-2008, 11:18 PM   #26
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
I'm buying a set of Advan RS in 18x8.5, 18x9.5 dark gunmetal at some point in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 06:39 AM   #27
terryltl
Private First Class
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: z4mc

I put 18 x9.5 +35 all around,rear with 15mm spacer,
255/35 in front,265/35 in rear

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #28
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
nice terry, what kind of wheels are those, volk re30? and how is the front fitting with the 255?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 02:14 AM   #29
terryltl
Private First Class
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: z4mc

ya.it's volk re30,255 in front will grind inside without camber.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #30
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Ordered a set of the K1s instead, apparently the spacer they give you is not for fitment but only for the look on the back wheel. The back wheel will go in from the fender by 15mm, the front wheel out by around 8mm.

So you don't HAVE to run spacer in the back, the only issue is a little bit of cosmetics (who cares for track wheels) and the loss of 30ish mm of track width (which will lower the grip a bit).
      09-30-2008, 11:49 PM   #31
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

K1s fit, i put 245/45 all around for rotation purposes and balancing of the car.

ZR1 tires are sick.
      10-15-2008, 02:47 PM   #32
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Well I got the TRmotorsport 17s and the dam things didn't clear the front brakes. I am livid right now. I need the wheels for the 4th. Maybe I'll mix and match with the SSRs or something.
Quote:
Ordered a set of the K1s instead, apparently the spacer they give you is not for fitment but only for the look on the back wheel. The back wheel will go in from the fender by 15mm, the front wheel out by around 8mm.

So you don't HAVE to run spacer in the back, the only issue is a little bit of cosmetics (who cares for track wheels) and the loss of 30ish mm of track width (which will lower the grip a bit).
Quote:
K1s fit, i put 245/45 all around for rotation purposes and balancing of the car.

ZR1 tires are sick.
O-Cha,
Can you provide the exact specs for the K1s you went with? Are you still happy with them? Do you know if Direzza Star Specs are available in a size for the wheels in question?

Thanks!
      10-15-2008, 03:12 PM   #33
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
O-Cha,
Can you provide the exact specs for the K1s you went with? Are you still happy with them? Do you know if Direzza Star Specs are available in a size for the wheels in question?

Thanks!
17 inch, 40mm offset.

They come with a 16mm spacer for the rear. You don't HAVE to run the spacer and there is clearance on the strut side, but you will lose 15mm track width on both sides and it will look funky.

Yes the star specs are available for those rims. And they are the sickest street tire I've ever used.

Just a note, the k1s will not allow you to use center caps, so you will be riding around with the middle (rusted) bit of your hub showing.
      10-17-2008, 04:09 AM   #34
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe Mineral White

To say that a BBK on a Z4M car is a waste, I would argue otherwise. I completely wrecked my stock brakes with Motul 600, SS lines, Pagid Yellows, and a set of Michelin Sport Cup tires. On the other hand, the Norschleife isn't a 'normal' track.

So now the car is almost repaired and I have a set of Stoptechs in my garage. I am on the prowl for a set of wheels to clear the brakes and leaning to OEM CSL's (I can get them here in Germany) or TR1s.

Anyone here have experience with TR1s and a BBK?

I wouldn't normally post a thread to another forum, but I couldn't get the pictures of my broken car posted here. See the bottom of the page for battle damage: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e90...-ring-toy.html

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 06:11 AM   #35
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRamz View Post
To say that a BBK on a Z4M car is a waste, I would argue otherwise. I completely wrecked my stock brakes with Motul 600, SS lines, Pagid Yellows, and a set of Michelin Sport Cup tires. On the other hand, the Norschleife isn't a 'normal' track.

So now the car is almost repaired and I have a set of Stoptechs in my garage. I am on the prowl for a set of wheels to clear the brakes and leaning to OEM CSL's (I can get them here in Germany) or TR1s.

I wouldn't normally post a thread to another forum, but I couldn't get the pictures of my broken car posted here. See the bottom of the page for battle damage: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e90...-ring-toy.html

What's the cost of CSLs here in Germany? You'll save me a trip to the dealer to find out... Do you pay sales tax? I don't...
      10-17-2008, 07:18 AM   #36
OutOn
zetero
Spain
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:

Hi RussRamz, did you get your SS lines & Pagidīs in Europe or ordered them fron the US? I need some brake lines for my Z4M and some pads that can withstand with some track abuse but keeping road friendly. I was thinking of Pagid Orange or Ferodo DS3000. I had the DS3000īs in my previous M3 & Z4 3.0 with good results.

BTW, Iīm from Spain and a small group of Zīs from a spanish forum are going to Nurburgring on next april.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 07:20 AM   #37
OutOn
zetero
Spain
Rep

Russ, saw your pics in the other forum this morning. Glad the insurance paid for the repair...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #38
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:

Damn that sux. Sorry bout the wall incident. Hopefully she's as good as knew when it's all fixed up.

Can't wait to get my car on the 'ring, hopefully I won'tl be pushing the car hard enough to destroy the brakes tho...

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #39
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
What's the cost of CSLs here in Germany? You'll save me a trip to the dealer to find out... Do you pay sales tax? I don't...
About 1400 Euro without tax for a set of four. I don't pay tax either.

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 01:10 PM   #40
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOn View Post
Hi RussRamz, did you get your SS lines & Pagidīs in Europe or ordered them fron the US? I need some brake lines for my Z4M and some pads that can withstand with some track abuse but keeping road friendly. I was thinking of Pagid Orange or Ferodo DS3000. I had the DS3000īs in my previous M3 & Z4 3.0 with good results.

BTW, Iīm from Spain and a small group of Zīs from a spanish forum are going to Nurburgring on next april.

Thank you!
I ordered them from the US. I had some Ferodo DS2500's but they were junk. They were nearly the same as stock pads.

The Pagid Yellows are awesome, but they put the bitch-slap on my stock rotors in no time at all. If you look real close at the blue rotors of my battle damaged car, you will see some cracks at the cross-drilled areas.

Cross drilling is for show. I bought slotted rotors with my Stoptech and from what I hear--I am expecting good performance.

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #41
OutOn
zetero
Spain
Rep

Quote:
I ordered them from the US. I had some Ferodo DS2500's but they were junk. They were nearly the same as stock pads.

The Pagid Yellows are awesome, but they put the bitch-slap on my stock rotors in no time at all. If you look real close at the blue rotors of my battle damaged car, you will see some cracks at the cross-drilled areas.

Cross drilling is for show. I bought slotted rotors with my Stoptech and from what I hear--I am expecting good performance.

Thanks for the response!

I will order the lines from Stoptech USA as well then. I tried the DS2500 and I agree they are just as the standard ones. Regarding the damage the Pagids produce in the rotors I donīt care. I have the extended manteinance plan from BMW included (5 years or 75.000 kms) and Iīm now on my second set of rotors after warp them in 8.000 kms on standard pads. DS3000 are much better but really want to try Pagids as never did before.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 12:26 AM   #42
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Nooo, do not tell me this. I just got the M coupe out to the track (sebring) for it's first run down and the rotors were completely warped within a few hot laps, I was hoping it was either from pulling into the pits for 3 minutes on a hot lap to check tire pressures (and letting them sit hot) or the pads I was using (EBC yellow).

Please tell me these rotors aren't shit, this was supposed to be a good platform this time. Aren't the rotors the same design as the M5.
      10-19-2008, 02:58 AM   #43
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Please tell me these rotors aren't shit, this was supposed to be a good platform this time. Aren't the rotors the same design as the M5.
The rotors are a weak point for this car. They are not based on the M5, but rather a direct copy of the E46 M3 CSL brakes (which are known to be a weak point). The Z4MC chassis is really a great chassis with a few modifications. I will strengthen mine even more with a cage but DO NOT put TCKline camber plates in your car without reinforcing the front strut towers. You will damage the strut tower. KW makes a great suspension for our cars now. You can get a clubsport suspension by calling them direct, or even a full competition suspension (I'm doing a 2 way race setup with camber mounts) if you call them directly. You won't find it on tirerack or a similar site.

Bottom line is that the OEM brakes for the Z4M are not up to the job.

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 04:58 PM   #44
silversprint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Nooo, do not tell me this. I just got the M coupe out to the track (sebring) for it's first run down and the rotors were completely warped within a few hot laps, I was hoping it was either from pulling into the pits for 3 minutes on a hot lap to check tire pressures (and letting them sit hot) or the pads I was using (EBC yellow).

I have over 500 track miles now on my Mcoupe with very aggressive race pads. The rotors have a lot of wear but have held up very well. They literally have a 1/4 wear on the rotor lip but they are still fine. No warping or spider cracks. I put the stock pad back on and the dealer will replace the rotors under the BMW service plan.

I think the EBC pads are craps. Get rid of them and get a set of real track pads. There is no compromise between street and tired pads. If you are tracking the car then get a set of track pads.

I don't understand why the the struts towers need to be reinforced.?? with camber plates.

The KW clubsports come with camber plates too. There are many drivers that have tracked with camber plates and don't have any struts tower issues. What about all the E46 M3 guys with camber plates??

Brakes don't just fail. Specially stock brakes. If they go out it is gradual and you feel them going off.

If someone wrecks theirs car due to failing brakes I would attribute that to driver error. Don't blame the brakes because you over drove the car.

Everything said on a forum like this needs to be taken and analyzed critically. Take all the info and use it at your own risk. There are few if any professional race engineers here that provide accurate information.
Appreciate 0