ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #23
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

If it was all about getting the best bang for the buck and a warranty, then why would NOT getting a warranty be a deal breaker like you said it was? If it's all about piece of mind, Kia is the right car.

You're buying a 2008, with very few numbers made in that year and any would have very little warranty. Most Z4M's are 06 and 07, well out of any type of warranty.

If you already considered a 993 TT then you are smart enough to know better.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #24
Pheonix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
[QUOTE=KevinM;11476613]This is a very personal decision and I wish you the best in yours.

That said, I'd hate to see you miss out on what is surely a rare gem - an M coupe with 5K miles (I thought mine was low miles at 9K!). As has been stated, once the bearing issue was fixed after some early M3s imploded, the S54 has been essentially bullet-proof and near the end of its production in the Z4M (e.g., all needed updates addressed). Couple that to the fact that car is quite simple in terms of electronics, etc. (esp. compared to new BMWs) - no iDrive, manual box, etc. - and you have all the makings for a reliable car.

A PPI is mandatory. An extended warranty boils down to your comfort level and if you have a mechanic you trust. When I bought my M5 in 2004 with <20K miles on it, I had it CPO'd through the seller's local dealer before I purchased it. I was going to the dealer at that point for my previous BMWs. Now I have a mechanic I absolutely trust (and this is rare I realize) so I was looking for a non-CPO car for the M coupe if possible, because I wasn't going to take it to the dealer anyway (our local dealer's service dept. sucks).

Over 7+ years my M5 has required maintenance but few repairs and this (and my mechanic) gave me the courage to not seek an extended warranty for the coupe. I do however, budget for the possibility of a big repair for both the M5 and M coupe.
Well said! Believe it or not, the Z4M would be way more simplier (and possibly more reliable) than P-car or even the ISF (too many electronic things could go wrong). Anyhow, the clock is ticking on for you to find our cars with factory warranty. Most of 2007 probably out of warranty and 2008 is just a few monts left. Maybe you could expand your searches across the country.qoute]

By the way, i was offer both CPO (for $2600 more ) and extended services (over $2k) but i declined both and took my chance (and i came from a long long time of owning only more "reliable" Japanese cars. Why? Because i did a lot of researches and learned that a Z4M is pretty bullet proof(relative to BMW)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #25
builthatch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 Subaru STI five door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Well said! Believe it or not, the Z4M would be way more simplier (and possibly more reliable) than P-car or even the ISF (too many electronic things could go wrong). Anyhow, the clock is ticking on for you to find our cars with factory warranty. Most of 2007 probably out of warranty and 2008 is just a few monts left. Maybe you could expand your searches across the country.

By the way, i was offer both CPO (for $2600 more ) and extended services (over $2k) but i declined both and took my chance (and i came from a long long time of owning only more "reliable" Japanese cars. Why? Because i did a lot of researches and learned that a Z4M is pretty bullet proof(relative to BMW)
difference is the IS F i've found, which is pretty much the ideal IS F if i were to consider it, is under warranty and because of that, Lexus offers a strong extended solution, so the option is there. there is no such option with this particular z4 m coupe. and there are no independent shops within an 80 minutes or so of me. double whammy. thus, my apprehension and concern.

i've been searching across the country for months and months, since mid-summer. condition, mileage, color...all things that have limited my search, let alone if it's still in warranty or not. it's amazing, actually, how hard these cars are to find if you don't want black or blue and need low miles. crazy!

Last edited by builthatch; 03-04-2012 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #26
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
it's amazing, actually, how hard these cars are to find if you don't want black or blue and need low miles. crazy!
True indeed. So, what would your ideal Z4M find be? Max miles, color combo, and were talking stricly coupe right?

I love this comparo stuff....

Atleast the IS F would be close in terms of exclusiveness, which is a part of the attraction about the M Coupe - for me anyway. But I haven't driven one, cant opine on performance.

As for a newer Nissan Z - Coincidentally my bro bought a new one the week before i got my M coupe a few months ago and I drove his. We both paid the same for our cars, and mine had 16k miles on it for an '08. Yes those are new and japanese and will require vertually zero $ attention initially... but one thing to think about: in 18 months from now after you pay 35k (?) for a new Nissan, or 35k (?) for a lightly used and far more exclusive and higher performing M Coupe, i'd speculate that the 370z will most certainly be worth less than the M, even after maintenance costs on the M. You are further down the depreciation curve already in the M and its holding steady at these levels as you know...

And after driving that Z... sure its a fun, very capable weekend toy, & very much a good daily driver, but its probably more for the 'practical' sporting car enthusiast who wants reliability first, then performance second, and a car that wont totally consume its owner. The M is all about raw, higher performance and is more demanding of its owner, it really is a different ownership experience, one that also keeps you up until 11:30 on a sunday night reading threads...

Last edited by gtMc; 03-04-2012 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #27
builthatch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 Subaru STI five door

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtMc View Post
but one thing to think about: in 18 months from now after you pay 35k (?) for a new Nissan, or 35k (?) for a lightly used and far more exclusive and higher performing M Coupe, i'd speculate that the 370z will most certainly be worth less than the M, even after maintenance costs on the M. You are further down the depreciation curve already in the M and its holding steady at these levels as you know...
EXCELLENT point! thanks for that insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtMc View Post
that also keeps you up until 11:30 on a sunday night reading threads...
or later.

much, much later.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 06:36 AM   #28
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Buy the car you WANT to drive.

Don't let lack of a warranty prevent you from buying an M. If it had 50 or 60,000 miles, I'd say expect to put a little money into it. But at 5,000, unless something is caused by your driving, nothing is really going to happen to it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #29
Z4MLover2012
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4M Coupe

Garage List
I have to second and third all of this advice. I wanted a Z4M Coupe for the performance boost after driving and enjoying a 3.0Si Coupe. I miss that car everyday and I can't wait for my M to get here next week. There may a little more maintenance on this car but it is well worth the effort, trouble, and price.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #30
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

You could also do some upgrades if you are scared of issues. I would replace the engine mount bolts on any M Coupe as they could fail. You could also have the cam sprocket bolts checked and replaced along with the upgraded hubs as well. Those seem to be the potential weak points. If those are all taken care of there is very little else to go wrong. If you planned to buy an extended warranty, it would probably cost thousands(as explained above) which if banked instead would go a long way towards covering anything the extended warranty would. You also have the advantage of KNOWING the money would be used over time rather than betting against the house on something going wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #31
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

I am in a somewhat similar situation, my warranty runs out in august (2008 M Roadster) and am still debating whether it makes sense to extend the BMW one... I am going to make a call and see how much they want for one, just for shits and giggles.

Good luck with your decision, I can tell you that the car is intoxicating.
      03-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #32
Z4MLover2012
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanbandit View Post
I am in a somewhat similar situation, my warranty runs out in august (2008 M Roadster) and am still debating whether it makes sense to extend the BMW one... I am going to make a call and see how much they want for one, just for shits and giggles.

Good luck with your decision, I can tell you that the car is intoxicating.
PM me for my guys info.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #33
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
You have had both of those replaced on an 07? I have never heard of either of those issues on any of the forums I have frequented so I would assume they are rare. To me, the extended warranty for an M would mostly be for a catastrophic failure(vanos bolts for example). As others have said I would bank the cash you plan to spend on the extended plan in a "service account". There are very few stories of "boy I am glad I bought an extended plan" on the Z4 boards. The cars are pretty darn reliable.
I can totally second that. Bulletproof! I was surprised.
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0