ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-09-2016, 10:50 AM   #23
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossdog View Post
007 Mcoupe,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune! I feel your pain. I purchased my "Dream Car" a 2012 Boss 302 New from the factory. Several months later, while participating in a HPDE Track event, a 20-something wrecked his POS Cobalt SS into the side of my Baby, due to ill prepared Brakes. As it happened on track, and I did not purchase track insurance, Yes, Oh well!

You'll find a New baby!
About those non-insured driving events ... I always wondered how insurance would know if you just moved the car near your house and pulled over to the side of the road, then called insurance to report a hit and run.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #24
KozyZ4
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
About those non-insured driving events ... I always wondered how insurance would know if you just moved the car near your house and pulled over to the side of the road, then called insurance to report a hit and run.
http://www.insurancejournal.com/news.../14/391769.htm

They know.

I have heard of insurance people sitting off the autocross venue taking pictures.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 04:40 PM   #25
Frank851
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '19 X5 xDrive40i

I'll take the review mirror if it is available, easy removal. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 07:32 AM   #26
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KozyZ4 View Post
http://www.insurancejournal.com/news.../14/391769.htm

They know.

I have heard of insurance people sitting off the autocross venue taking pictures.
I'm sure there are more people who get away with it than who get caught, but still sneaky and not worth the risk especially today when everyone has a camera in their pocket. Thanks for the link.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 07:55 PM   #27
VictoriousATL
Rep
Drives: Z4M Roadster

Posting for the first time (lurker) just to say sorry for your loss. Saddening to see those pics.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #28
mcoupe5/6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M Coupe

Really sorry to hear abt your car. Glad you are ok.
I actually had a wreck a couple weeks back on the way to work, an elderly man was on the wrong side of the road and hit me pretty hard. 17.5k in damages and still waiting for insurance to determine if they will total it.
Been telling myself it's just a car but man will I miss it if its not fixed.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 11:37 AM   #29
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoublehcubed View Post
- i actually meant the sidesills inside the door jam, the metal ones at the bottom of the door that say M on them.
- side skirts is a good idea too if they're aero side skirts, if they're regular I don't think they'd be worth the effort, because presumably all the extra ones from the people that bought aero side skirts are already cluttering the market.
- steering wheel is separate from the airbag, the airbag is just that center piece. seems unlikely the actual wheel would be damaged by the airbag going off. here's a pic of the steering wheel alone:
http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462
- yes lid from the ashtray is what I meant. you can only get it from BMW by buying the whole ashtray, so its a desireable part for anyone who has damaged their lid at all.
- mirrors is a really good idea, a complete mirror assembly costs over $500 per side. the glass alone i think costs around $100-$200 per side.
- visors probably worth it. price is not that high but its literally two screws per side and they come right off.
- maybe the rear view mirror in the center. an autodimming one probably runs $500 or so, so that should be easy to sell
- interior trim is probably the highest value/pound item to ship, very lightweight but worth at least $400-500 for a non-aluminum set.

really need to reconsider my license plate mount now, glad you told us about that.
jdub, thanks for all the ideas. I would've never thought about the actual ///M sills inside the door frame. I'm going to get a good set of tools and spend a full day, if I can, at the salvage yard getting these parts off. Wheels first! haha Still upset about the tires only being 3 weeks old, so I want those back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
sorry to see this, if theirs any parts that you want to sell on before it goes to insurance, if you haven't declared mods you REALLY need to take them off anyway as they can void your insurance etc,..
beedub, thanks for chiming in actually. The insurer gave me the yard that it's going to, so I'm assuming (based on American junk yard standards) that the car will sit for at least a day before any crushing would begin? How does that usually work over here? Again, assuming I can just show up at the yard and say, hey I'd like to take a look around and get some parts for a Z4, etc.... then just get all the parts I can. The engine mounts are going to be trickiest I think, since the car will on the ground... Any info you can give from experience or anything like that is much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossdog View Post
007 Mcoupe,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune! I feel your pain. I purchased my "Dream Car" a 2012 Boss 302 New from the factory. Several months later, while participating in a HPDE Track event, a 20-something wrecked his POS Cobalt SS into the side of my Baby, due to ill prepared Brakes. As it happened on track, and I did not purchase track insurance, Yes, Oh well!

You'll find a New baby!
Thanks. And yes, I'll find a new baby, I'm sure by the time I come back stateside there will be a few floating around still for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank851 View Post
I'll take the review mirror if it is available, easy removal. Thanks.
Review, check I'll do my best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriousATL View Post
Posting for the first time (lurker) just to say sorry for your loss. Saddening to see those pics.
Welcome to the forums! haha And thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoupe5/6 View Post
Really sorry to hear abt your car. Glad you are ok.
I actually had a wreck a couple weeks back on the way to work, an elderly man was on the wrong side of the road and hit me pretty hard. 17.5k in damages and still waiting for insurance to determine if they will total it.
Been telling myself it's just a car but man will I miss it if its not fixed.
Yeah we're fine. Sounds like you got head-on? YIKES. I keep telling myself it's just a car, there's more yada yada, but then I was in London yesterday and I saw my Euro twin... IB ///M Coupe with sepang interior and CSL reps...almost shed a tear.

I'm putting $20K into savings and thinking about investing $5K to make (hopefully, never know with the market) a bit more to lessen the burden of buying a new car. On the brightside, I'm "this close" to talking my girlfriend into getting a X5M hahahaha just a little more coaxing.

Will definitely have a track toy in the very near future, can't be in England and not at least go to Silverstone (didn't make it last season)!
      02-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #30
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
I'm sure there are more people who get away with it than who get caught, but still sneaky and not worth the risk especially today when everyone has a camera in their pocket. Thanks for the link.
You would be surprised at the extent insurance companies will go, and the army of investigators on hand to investigate a claim when tens of thousands of dollars are involved.

You're probably more likely to get away with murder than you will with insurance fraud, IMO.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 01:14 PM   #31
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Man, sorry to see this. I have a couple of vehicles that I really don't care about, that sort of fall into the "appliance" category. The Z is a totally different story.

I hope you're in another Z at some point!

Also, I'd never considered the risk of running A plate carrier attached to the front tow-hook. But I'd really think twice before ever considering that now.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 02:09 PM   #32
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Ditto the above.

Hey - when you saw your car's twin in London, were you up around Trafalgar Square or vicinity? I saw a Z4MC matching that description there back in 2012 while on vacation and chowing down on some local pizza in a shop where the missus, son and I took refuge from the only bit of rain we had that week. Pizza was surprisingly good too.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 12:27 PM   #33
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Ditto the above.

Hey - when you saw your car's twin in London, were you up around Trafalgar Square or vicinity? I saw a Z4MC matching that description there back in 2012 while on vacation and chowing down on some local pizza in a shop where the missus, son and I took refuge from the only bit of rain we had that week. Pizza was surprisingly good too.
Yeah not too far away, actually. First E86 I've seen in London all my trips there.
      02-18-2016, 09:00 PM   #34
krusty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 coupé

Ouch

Sorry to hear - the Z4 nose seems to be quite fragile. Maybe that is by design to absorb the shock and keep you safe. It doesn't seem to take much to cause an awful mess up front.

Re insurance: if they are writing it off, then they will normally pay you out (as you say) and take possession of the car with the intention to sell it to a salvage dealer. And if you go pilfering/keeping bits and pieces before then, they may well express their displeasure ... because it is now their property. It might be a little obvious if your car suddenly doesn't have a steering wheel, for instance.

Just curious: did the airbag go off?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 03:01 PM   #35
JohnG7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 + F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty View Post
Sorry to hear - the Z4 nose seems to be quite fragile. Maybe that is by design to absorb the shock and keep you safe. It doesn't seem to take much to cause an awful mess up front.

Re insurance: if they are writing it off, then they will normally pay you out (as you say) and take possession of the car with the intention to sell it to a salvage dealer. And if you go pilfering/keeping bits and pieces before then, they may well express their displeasure ... because it is now their property. It might be a little obvious if your car suddenly doesn't have a steering wheel, for instance.

Just curious: did the airbag go off?
Yeah, what he said ...

I have been following this, I feel for your loss. The good side is you weren't hurt, and can live with the results. Would really be a shame to not grab the engine, if at all possible. I know you said was your intention (if possible). I'd have to believe these engines (and trans) would be of good value before too long.

Hate to see such a nice car get crushed, it happens.

Glad you came out alright...

Last edited by JohnG7; 02-19-2016 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: edit to correct mistakes...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #36
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well she's gone for good. After weeks of trying, and failing, to work with the salvage yard to at least get the aftermarket bits off and replace with OE, I received a letter in the mail informing me that, a car registered in my name is being processed through customs for export (kind of nice in case it was stolen or something). So I called the yard back and sure enough they sold it. Wouldn't tell me where it was headed.

So at least I got the bits I could from the car. Still debating on holding onto them in case I find a good deal or sell and buy again in the future, because I WILL be back in a Z4M, just don't know when.
      03-18-2016, 11:52 AM   #37
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

007, mate sorry to hear man.. but i gotta ask, having the license holder in the tow hook (front) position, how does that work, as i know on the track we all have one of those hook things in there in case we need a tow off the tarmac (or in my case every now and then grass )

Are we more at risk running that tow hook in there on a track ??

Hope you find another zed soon mate, and that you get it sorted with your parts mate.
mostly, I am just happy your ok man