ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

CAI hitting another part

After installing my CAI, I noticed a noise coming from the engine bay when I started it and stopped it. This only started happening until after I installed the CAI. After listening to it a few times, I think the lower left part may be hitting another part of the car in the alternator.

I tightened everything up, but it still wiggles and hits the part. I can adjust it so it is directly touching the alternator, and thus not making the noise, but I didn't think that would be wise.

Any suggestions on how to cure this? Is this something that needs to be cured and could cause damage down the road?

It doesn't wiggle that much, enough though to touch part of it during starting/stopping. Thoughts?

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Is this an M model? Possible the engine mounts have not been checked/inspected? If you suspect this CAI, put a piece of carbon paper attached between the two, and drive around, if you see the ink on the alternator, then you are correct, they are hitting.
      03-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Yes, it's an M. Well I'm 99% it hits. I can just push it down. I'm kind of surprised it doesn't fit better.

It only has 17,000 miles, and the old air box was just fine, so I don't think it's the engine mounts.

Should I just bend it a little and let it be? It's not like it's hitting it constantly.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
Yes, it's an M. Well I'm 99% it hits. I can just push it down. I'm kind of surprised it doesn't fit better.

It only has 17,000 miles, and the old air box was just fine, so I don't think it's the engine mounts.

Should I just bend it a little and let it be? It's not like it's hitting it constantly.
Which CAI in particular?

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

AFE, sorry.

I went back out and adjusted to two right bolts where the clips used to be, pushed them in about 1/4 inch and that seemed to help.

Anyone else have this problem? When I had my Z3M I installed a Conforti CAI and it fit absolutely beautifully.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

I never had this problem with my AFE, make sure it's seated correctly, I remember when I was installing it, it wanted to sit more to the passenger side than it was supposed to.
Appreciate 0