ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
fender damage

So I notice a black spot about the size of a penny on my front passenger fender as I'm going in my house from the garage............. I grab a wet cloth thinking it's bird crap and my reading glasses (can't see well close up anymore ), and suddenly realize that this is a dent and damage where something landed on the fender How this happened is a mystery. I did hear a bang on the freeway yesterday, but I didn't notice this until today, and I don't usually miss things like this .......... space debris? The dent and missing paint is right on the crease/angle where the top of the fender transitions into the edge over the wheel............ not a good place. Would you replace the entire fender? I found it from two different online retailers for $311 and $314 ............ reasonable in my opinion. I don't know if the dent could be tapped out smooth ................. not a fan of filler and sanding. A re-paint of the entire fender ......................... easy enough to match the car, versus blending a repair on the existing fender? I'm silver grey (A08) Any experienced advice appreciated. Thanks.

John
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
mitchsf
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roadster

Seems like overkill to replace the fender. A good shop can easily fix that using a small amount of filler.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchsf View Post
Seems like overkill to replace the fender. A good shop can easily fix that using a small amount of filler.
I do hate to replace the fender, but the location will be difficult to get right, as it's in the middle of the line where the top flat surface of the fender curves down toward the wheel................ that line continues through the door into the rear fender. I am going to speak with a good body shop in the next few days and see what they say about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
So I notice a black spot about the size of a penny on my front passenger fender as I'm going in my house from the garage............. I grab a wet cloth thinking it's bird crap and my reading glasses (can't see well close up anymore ), and suddenly realize that this is a dent and damage where something landed on the fender How this happened is a mystery. I did hear a bang on the freeway yesterday, but I didn't notice this until today, and I don't usually miss things like this .......... space debris? The dent and missing paint is right on the crease/angle where the top of the fender transitions into the edge over the wheel............ not a good place. Would you replace the entire fender? I found it from two different online retailers for $311 and $314 ............ reasonable in my opinion. I don't know if the dent could be tapped out smooth ................. not a fan of filler and sanding. A re-paint of the entire fender ......................... easy enough to match the car, versus blending a repair on the existing fender? I'm silver grey (A08) Any experienced advice appreciated. Thanks.

John
http://www.penskeparts.com/DiagramsR...iagram=41_1448
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
Would you replace the fender Ron, or have the bodyshop repair the dent?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 11:38 PM   #6
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Would you replace the fender Ron, or have the bodyshop repair the dent?
A good Body Shop can do it. I would use the fender.
Appreciate 0