ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

Film on hood

I'm looking at putting film on my the hood of my Z4 MR before taking it to the track this spring. I'm also going to put it on the bumper, side mirrors and maybe even back behind the rear tires, as I've notice some very minor road/stone "specks" on the paint back there. But my question is related to the film on the hood. I was at the car show today talking to a company rep that places film on cars and I have two questions for the group:

- What's the ideal amount of film on the hood? I believe she said the standard film application is to go up 12" (or 24"?) up from the start of the hood. But I'm thinking I might want to be safe and cover the entire hood. Thoughts?

- Once I cover the hood, do I ever wax it again? If not, then how does it look when I wax the other parts of the car but not the hood? Is the gloss difference fairly imperceptible?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Entire hood doesn't seem necessary, people only do the entire hood because they don't want to see a faint line going across the hood. IMO 80% of track debris will hit your bumper directly, the other 20% will be windshield or mirrors. I find that our hood is so low and long it actually doesn't see much abuse. The only thing that I noticed on the hood are tire chucks but those rub off easily. But gravel and what not is usually limited to just the bumper, or at least that has been my experience.

Me personally since I would only apply clearbra to the bumper and mirrors and tape the rest of the areas, ie first few inches of the hood and areas behind the wheels.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 03-16-2013 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0