ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
ajw45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Out with the RPI and in with the KKS!!!

The KKS titanium exhaust arrived from Germany in 5 business days from ordering and I just got it installed this morning! Many thanks to Ibinco for setting up an awesome group buy price from KKS!

Finish
First off, it's a beautiful exhaust. On past BMWs I've had Supersprints (twice), a Stebro, a Remus, and out of the box the KKS might be the best finished of the group.

Fit
Fitment on the passenger side was perfect but the driver's side took some wrangling. The driver's side exhaust and bracket sits about 2cm farther forward than the passenger side which made getting onto the bracket tough. As a result the tips are centered on both sides but the driver's side definitely sticks out about 2cm more than the passenger side. Not sure if there's anything that can be done about that but it does drive the OCD side of me a little crazy. My RPIs were perfect so I'll have to look into this more.

Weight
I mean, they're titanium right?! Really though, they're pretty close to the RPIs which aren't much to begin with.

Sound
This is the first time I've ever "upgraded" to a quieter exhaust and it sucks! Without the obnoxious all encompassing shout and bark of the RPIs it actually feels like the car is slower and doesn't rev as quickly. It's harder to shift by sound and I don't feel as connected to the ride. The RPIs were not only loud but having almost no muffling capacity at all the sound was really raw and crisp.
That said, the new KKS sounds great, has a deep idle, rips nicely up top, and has a subtle overrun. It does have a slight drone around 1800-2100rpm but it's nothing like the RPI drone which from 2600-3000rpm felt like someone was hammering on my head. Where the RPI was exotic/obnoxious and one might think you're not running an exhaust at all, the KKS is louder than stock but still civilized. We'll see how the KKS breaks in....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quality looks nice. Do you have picture installed on the car showing the fitment issue? It would bug the heck out of me if the tips don't aligned properly, especially after paying an arm and a leg for them.
Appreciate 0