ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
blue_steel
Rep
Drives: z4 m coupe

Need some advice about wheel rubbing on Z4M coupe

Hi guys, i'm hoping someone here can help me figure out what to do about my wheel problem. A while ago, i got some new wheels and tires for my 07 Z4M coupe - the suspension is stock by the way and hasn't been lowered. I got ADV 5.1 19" wheels and 19" tires. The tires are Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons - 245/35 ZR-19 in front and 275/30 in the back.

First few months, all was well. But then i went over an extra-large pothole, and my front right side came down hard. Ever since then, the front right tire scrapes badly at full lock. The front right side of my car isn't held on too well - not sure why. Any time i go over a bump or something, the right front plastic bit comes a bit loose. I can just use my hand to nudge it back into position with a little bit of pressure so i never thought too much about it. I've had the car on a lift and looked at the plastic of the wheel well etc - they seem to be fine - no cracked plastic there. I took the car to a couple of shops- one of them suggested that the plastic in the wheel well wasn't held on with the proper clips. They changed the clips and that reduced the problem a bit (i.e. now it rubs the last eighth turn to full lock and not the last quarter turn) but it's still very noticeable.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what i could do about this - i don't think it's purely the wheel/tire size because my left front wheel doesn't seem to rub at all. Someone told me the Pilot Sport All Seasons have a very square profile which could be contributing to the problem - any thoughts on other all -season tires that might be friendlier to the car ? Would going to a narrower tire help ? i.e. 235/35-19s instead of 245/35-19s ?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

All was well for a few months?
Maybe the pothole changed your alignment.

Some pics of the problem area (loose bumper) might help.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
blue_steel
Rep

Thanks, i'll take some pictures this weekend and post them up.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 01:55 AM   #4
Bayonet
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 Mc

235/35's should fix your issue....i have 245/35's on mine, they rubbed and broke my drivers side tab. Every now and then my drivers side corner pops out and like you have stated I just push it back in (I'm considering screwing a very thin screw to hold it in)

I am lowered but not by much in the front as 245s were boxier than I initially thought and caused too much rub. 235's should round the wheel off enough to clear your rubbing issues. Yes the pilot sports are very square...I just got 235 Toyo T1R's which round off well and would recommend but then again they're strictly summer tires. Might want to look into their Proxes 4 line as those are all season
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 05:57 AM   #5
Rekla
Hug the road... Carpe Asphalt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 ///M Coupe

I did some research and found out that 245/40ZR18 on stock rims in a stock set-up should be fine. It better be, as I just ordered this size for my fronts. Installation is around the weekend.

OP - How do you like these All Seasons? This forum scared me away from doing that, so I ordered High performance summers (Michelin PSS).
      09-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
blue_steel
Rep

Thanks Bayonet - that's encouraging to know that worst case i can try swapping out the tires for narrower ones. I really don't want to have to buy all new wheels or something.

Rekla, i can't help you with the fitment since i replaced the original rims with 19" rims. I drive pretty aggressively but i don't track the car. I like these all season wheels a lot. I went off the road twice driving in the ice on the oem conti's (thank god never did any damage to the car or myself) so i decided i needed an all-season tire. (These days i don't drive in the snow any more ) This year i've driven them in some really heavy rains and i'm very happy with the grip. I'm in new york so they extend the drivability of the car by several months over summer tires.

I've taken some pretty tight corners in the dry near Bear Mountain and on the Bronx River Parkway and they're definitely ok for spirited normal driving on twisties. The experts on this thread could probably give you more informed opinions but as a relative n00b to performance driving i'm quite happy with these tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
mlawfl11
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayonet View Post
235/35's should fix your issue....i have 245/35's on mine, they rubbed and broke my drivers side tab. Every now and then my drivers side corner pops out and like you have stated I just push it back in (I'm considering screwing a very thin screw to hold it in)

I am lowered but not by much in the front as 245s were boxier than I initially thought and caused too much rub. 235's should round the wheel off enough to clear your rubbing issues. Yes the pilot sports are very square...I just got 235 Toyo T1R's which round off well and would recommend but then again they're strictly summer tires. Might want to look into their Proxes 4 line as those are all season
Did the 235 setup correct the problem? Do you still have rubbing on the right wheel? Does the left side still pop out? I just had the same problem - the drivers side corner popped out.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

What's the offset and width of the wheels front and rear?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:55 AM   #9
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Can OP give us an update on this?

I just had 245/35 19 F and 275/30/19 R put on the car today. LOL.

Crap.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 05:24 AM   #10
mr_z4mc1m_oz
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe & 1M

I have the same problem running Yoko 245s on the front on 19 inch bbs ch wheels

Sold: 3 x 130i (White, Red & Black), Mk4 VW Golf R32, '03 Reno Clio Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
mlawfl11
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeD4Mr View Post
What's the offset and width of the wheels front and rear?
19x8.5 et35 front
19X9.5 et22 rear
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
mlawfl11
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_130i_oz View Post
I have the same problem running Yoko 245s on the front on 19 inch bbs ch wheels
What did you do to fix it? Its pretty bad in reverse at with the steering wheel anywhere close to full lock to the left.
Appreciate 0