ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-21-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
Barryb97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Track Tires

I now have 8 or 9 track days under my belt and I'm ready to replace my Hankook RS2 tires that I have used since day one. Where do I go from here? I have dedicated track wheels but I must be able to drive to the track. So I need a streetable track/competition tire. Do I go with something like the new Michelin PSS or bump up to something even stickier like an R rated tire? I'm not inclined to push it to 99% but I am always trying to improve. I'm know some of you track junkies must have gone through this same decision. Any advice? By the way I live in the northwest so it has been known to rain.
CDV delete, clutch stop, BMW pedals, Strongstrut bar, CF rad & coil cover, M3 reps, roundel under hood, Intravee II, air bag sticker delete, first aid storage, painted reflectors, headlight washer disable, Skyer CF front lip, Short shift kit, Leather Z arm rest, Stromung exhaust, RPI scoop, RTAB limiters, powerflex bushings, TC Kline DA coilovers, PB big brake kit, Skyer CF rear spoiler and diffuser, oil pressure and water temp guages.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 01:21 AM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I have a bit more experience and no way I'm ready for rcomps. You could be way beyond me though--people learn at different rates. I'd ask an instructor. My hunch is you're probably not ready.

However, the Dirreza Z2 (new Star Specs) or GForce Rival offer great "street" alternatives that are great on track. In fact, these offer near Rcomp performance while still being predictable at (and just beyond) the limit. I'm leaning towards GForce. See Kgolf's post in this thread. http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817643

Rain tires and great purpose built dry track tires are not going to be the same tire. Just a fact life.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 02:06 AM   #3
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

i'm on about 20 days. nowhere near ready for rcomps. maybe at VIR because most of my days are there. but i went to summit point this past weekend and it took the better part of 1 day just to run a clean session. the second day i was just getting faster and smoother. it would take a few more days before i'd feel like rcomps would benefit me.

i'm running PSS and feel very confident on them. they grip well and do well at high temps. ps2 might perform better when in the higher temp range, but i feel like pss is the better all around tire. rain performance is so confidence inspiring.

here i'm pushing it pretty hard and still didn't feel like i was ready for an rcomp.

03-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Rs3, bfg rival, star spec 2 get my votes. If you encounter wet/colder temps more often go ss.

Michelin pss if you only do 1-2 events per year imo.
      03-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
Rs3, bfg rival, star spec 2 get my votes. If you encounter wet/colder temps more often go ss.

Michelin pss if you only do 1-2 events per year imo.
Yep.

The big boys in the high performance category go towards the RS3s, Rivals and ZIIs

IMO if you're running a dedicated set-up you need to be running one of these tires. A PSS tire will not be good for a fast driver, as seen here:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-wear-question

RS3s are stupid fast in the heat, out of those tires (until more testing in 100+F weather with the Rivals) they can maintain the most heat. In the past, the old ZIs would overheat within a couple laps. During autocross, with ground temps reaching 120+F I never overheated the RS3s..

Did I need water to cool down the tire...yep. Did it overheat though to the point I lost grip...nope. It is an amazing tire.

However, in the wet & cold it is a completely different story. It does not like the wet. My first track day at mid-ohio was wet 80% of the day and it was downright scary. No confidence at all. Middle of corners it would go from understeer to oversteer within an instant. I sure got my hands workout that day, lol.

Do some research on those tires and you'll be able to find your answer. IMO, you need to go ZIIs
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Really good review here on the tires mentioned above

http://motormavens.com/2013/01/bf-go...orsports-park/
      03-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF
Really good review here on the tires mentioned above

http://motormavens.com/2013/01/bf-go...orsports-park/
Take that with a grain of salt.

All testers who attended were basically were fed everything for free. Flight, food, yada.

I want to see "real world" testing. Aka national solo events
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

I would suggest sticking with street tires for as long as possible. Try to break your personal best records every time you're out at the track. A sign that you may be ready for R compounds is when you consistently run at a decent pace, but still can't beat your times no matter what you try doing differently. The battle with yourself--and sometimes others--will really develop your skills such that you'll truly be ready come time for R comps.

I'm just about to move to R comps after countless track days of being seemingly stagnant with my lap times. I mean that literally: like I've lost count of exactly how long it's been.

R comps and higher level tires won't communicate its limits as well as street tires do. So it's best to be at the level of driving where you know the limits of your car pretty well and can handle yourself and the car in case of emergencies.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
Barryb97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Great input guys. This is pretty much what I was thinking just needed some feedback. I'll do some more research on the suggestions above.
CDV delete, clutch stop, BMW pedals, Strongstrut bar, CF rad & coil cover, M3 reps, roundel under hood, Intravee II, air bag sticker delete, first aid storage, painted reflectors, headlight washer disable, Skyer CF front lip, Short shift kit, Leather Z arm rest, Stromung exhaust, RPI scoop, RTAB limiters, powerflex bushings, TC Kline DA coilovers, PB big brake kit, Skyer CF rear spoiler and diffuser, oil pressure and water temp guages.
Appreciate 0