ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
stasha
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Coupe

ANYONE have a good experience with a fiberglass engine hood?

I have a dented hood on my 07 Z4 coupe. The cost of fixing it approaches the cost of buying a new hood -- but then it will still need painting.

There is only one fiberglass hood on the market, that I am aware of -- out of CA, and advertised on eBay.

1) are there other hood options? I don't need to hear why I need to buy an original -- I want to hear about other options.
2) Has ANYONE actually purchased one and made it work -- as opposed to sideline opinions without having seen the finished product?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
partlowr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 Roadster

Without seeing the one you are asking about I can not give too much input. What I can tell you about fiberglass hoods is yiu get what you pay for. They can be hard to align, they can require more prep work for paint and factory hardware does not always bolt up with no hassles.

I am not trying to steer you away, I have had both good and bad luck with fiberglass hoods, just make sure you know whst youre getting into.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasha View Post
I have a dented hood on my 07 Z4 coupe. The cost of fixing it approaches the cost of buying a new hood -- but then it will still need painting......
Maybe time to upgrade to an M hood?
      03-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
stasha
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by partlowr View Post
Without seeing the one you are asking about I can not give too much input. What I can tell you about fiberglass hoods is yiu get what you pay for. They can be hard to align, they can require more prep work for paint and factory hardware does not always bolt up with no hassles.

I am not trying to steer you away, I have had both good and bad luck with fiberglass hoods, just make sure you know whst youre getting into.

I did an internet search and could only find one company that offers aftermarket hoods (Duraflex GT-R -- sold by several distributors, and on eBay).

Here is the ebay link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400379758912...84.m1427.l2649

My problem is that there is no way for me to see the product before purchase, so I am asking if anyone has actually seen, and maybe even tried to fit, this hood.

Better yet, are there any other aftermarket manufacturers of these hoods?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #5
GeorgeT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 750i; 2003 Z4 3.0

How much weight will it save over the oem aluminum hood?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
stasha
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
How much weight will it save over the oem aluminum hood?
Weight isn't too important to me -- Remarkable how people spend so much effort trying to reduce weight of their cars, when their own personal body masses are obese. Easiest weight to take off the car is the amount you take off yourself, huh.

Duraflex states it'll save 50% weight, HOWEVER, I think they are speaking generically, and not specifically about the Al Z4 hood --- know what I mean.

Cost and quality are the factors driving my question.

Do you know of any other hoods being made?
Have you actually seen the Duraflex hood on a car, not in pix?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

No stretch assuming that everyone in the US is obese but I don't think most of us are or we wouldn't fit in our sport seats. I for one don't have any weight to lose. Bring on the CF!
      03-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
3point0
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 3.0

Garage List
2006 Audi S4 Avant  [0.00]
2005 BMW Z4  [5.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
... everyone in the US is obese but I don't think most of us are or we wouldn't fit in our sport seats. I for one don't have any weight to lose.
We could probably all shed weight if we're brutally honest with ourselves. The wife and i both shed 25lb in an effort to decrease the rolling weight the Zed has to deal with and improve acceleration. We're now 260lb combined

2005 Z4 3.0 steptronic | TiSilver on Black | sport & premium package | 108s | Msport seats | wind deflector
OMP strut bar | blacked out emblems | de-french-fried | sound gen | DIY aux input | custom speedo logos | stubby antenna | polished exhaust tips
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Most people probably do have a couple pounds that could be shed but having a few pounds to shed is a far cry from being obese. Props to you and your wife for dropping the weight. Better for both health and acceleration!
      03-17-2013, 02:57 AM   #10
Yeggman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 s3.0i 6MT

Don't know what your dent looks like, but....If there is a paintless dent guy in your area, you just might be amazed at what they can do for a lot less $$.

I am fortunate that there is a BMW factory trained guy nearby that has 25 years in the business. He is absolutely amazing.

Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #11
stasha
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeggman View Post
Don't know what your dent looks like, but....If there is a paintless dent guy in your area, you just might be amazed at what they can do for a lot less $$.

I am fortunate that there is a BMW factory trained guy nearby that has 25 years in the business. He is absolutely amazing.

Just a thought.
Thanks. I'll look for one of those guys (paintless dent).
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #12
wonton180
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasha View Post
Weight isn't too important to me -- Remarkable how people spend so much effort trying to reduce weight of their cars, when their own personal body masses are obese. Easiest weight to take off the car is the amount you take off yourself, huh.

Duraflex states it'll save 50% weight, HOWEVER, I think they are speaking generically, and not specifically about the Al Z4 hood --- know what I mean.

Cost and quality are the factors driving my question.

Do you know of any other hoods being made?
Have you actually seen the Duraflex hood on a car, not in pix?
I think you've lost a few people here if you are not motivated by weight savings. Otherwise the Z4M hood (Aluminum) is an easy choice for the cost/quality themes you cited.

Post the prices your are getting for fiberglass vs Z4M hood and people can give you their opinion if it is worth the money.
Appreciate 0