ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Garage & Vehicle Security

I'm going to be storing my car and my belongings for an extended period in a relatively unsecured two car garage in the near future. This has me nervous since I really love my car. Everything is insured so I'm not worried about my other belongings but my car would be very difficult to replicate and due to the nature of insurance and mods I would likely lose a lot of money in the event of theft or vandalism.

I currently keep my car there regularly for a couple weeks at a time but leaving for months at a time has me concerned since I don't want to bother my brother-in-law to check on it regularly and even if he did it might have been cleaned out a week before with everything long gone. I'm looking into a security system but my property management company sucks and it was a stretch to get them to let me use my battery tender. Also, there's not a fuse box in the garage so I'm not sure if ADT or VIVINT could even wire one.

I would put the car and parts, at least, in a secure storage facility but it's pretty difficult to find one that will allow anything electrical to be plugged in (battery tender & carcapsule) if they even have outlets.

For these reasons I've been exploring other ideas. Obviously I looked at LoJack but it's incredibly expensive at about $700 and if my garage is cleaned out and my car stripped that doesn't really help me.

I've found this product: http://www.eyespysupply.com/car--veh...ce-logger.html which would be about the same a LoJack but significantly cheaper. I'd at least know if the car moved, which is a start but again, if the place is tampered with and the car doesn't actually move I won't know it.

I also came across these: http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DS500-M...nsor+alarm+gps which appear to be intended for use with tools and equipment on job sites. It's a great idea but I'm not sure if the GPS would have a strong enough signal being tucked away in my garage under a building. Also, it doesn't do me much good if whatever it's attached to doesn't move - unless I'm misunderstanding and it detects motion around it, though that doesn't appear to be the case. If it's sensitive enough I could conceivable attached it to the actually garage door but again signal strength concerns me.

What I'm thinking about is a stand alone, battery powered or even plug in motion detector that will notify me if the door is opened. I could use the DeWalt mobilelock and attached it to the garage door but I think it would require the batterys to be changed quite often - every month or so.

I have a few months before my move so I'm looking for solutions. One of these or a combination of them might be the answer but I just wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with a similar situation.
      03-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

I recommend the MagnaVolt

SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

You can always store the MC at my place, not battery tender required, just leave me the keys.
      03-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
I recommend the MagnaVolt
Hahaha! Very effective but I'm afraid it might damage my pretty saddle seats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imz4n View Post
You can always store the MC at my place, not battery tender required, just leave me the keys.
Thanks for the offer. If all else fails I'll think about it!
      03-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Honestly I don't see what the point of some sort of motion detector will give you, it's not like you'll be able to go and intercept the perpetrator..?

I don't think you *have* to use a battery tender. I unplugged the battery for about 2 months and when I plugged it back in it started right up like nothing happened, so if there's somewhere that seems more secure I wouldn't let the battery tender be a deal breaker.

Why not just put the OEM cover on the car with a lock? I would think if it was locked that would deter most people from even messing with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

The motion detector would let me know asap if someone was tampering with the garage allowing me to alert authorities. Although, there's no real consensus on just how much good that does.

I'd prefer to use a battery tender because it seems like the best thing to do for the car and the battery.

If someone is willing to break into my garage I doubt the cover being locked on will deter them from finding out what's underneath it.
      03-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Find a good storage facility. I had mine in storage for months while I built my garage (drove it at least once a week) and place had good lock, camera's, gate, etc. Once car is inside no one has any idea it is there. Then take battery out (or just disconnect it), take it home and put it on tender if you want.

This only works if you don't plan on driving it for months. Only real issue is you have to pay storage fee and I think you need a 10 x 20 (if I remember correctly).

Compared to buying and monitoring an alarm seems like a better and more secure solution.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
Thanks for the offer. If all else fails I'll think about it!
Tony, did you not see my offer in this other thread:
"I'll gladly drive it once a week, maybe just on Saturdays or Sundays! "

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Then take battery out (or just disconnect it), take it home and put it on tender if you want.
I know this has been covered but am I remembering correctly that resetting the windows is basically the only issue when the battery is reinstalled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
Tony, did you not see my offer in this other thread:
"I'll gladly drive it once a week, maybe just on Saturdays or Sundays! "
Tom, I do appreciate your generous offer. If worse comes to worse I'll be in touch.
      03-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

I found a 12x35 storage unit at a good price that should fit all of my stuff so I should be able to move everything and kick my current crappy property management company to the curb. I'm sending my fiance over to take a look at it today. I also checked up on the battery removal question and that doesn't sound like a problem so I'll probably be going that route. Thanks, David. And, Tom, I'll keep you in mind.
      03-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Mount some fake cameras around. Maybe some that take batteries with a blinkly light. Sprinkle some empty .45 shell casings around entry points.

If a thief wants something, they will get it. Especailly if they have plenty of time. I think the best option is to move it to a secure facility out of sight and out of mind.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
ajlafleche
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 30.si black

This looks like a job for Trunk Monkey
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #13
Loogey Clapp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlafleche View Post
This looks like a job for Trunk Monkey

That is too high. Still laffing about that one!!
      03-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
jasonlojack
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

I work for LoJack, and company bias aside, you would be crazy not to put a LoJack on it, especially if you're in Cali., Hit me up, I might be able to get you a discount. jaleman@lojack.com
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #15
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

Thanks, Jason, but I ended up going with the new storage facility. Double gated with cameras and lots of security and the owners live on site. I'm sure LoJack is a great product but it's a pretty steep price.