ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
DrVolkl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93 6spd/ '13 X5M

Where is the sensor for the auto headlights?

Im asking because it seems like mine are on all the time, except perhaps around high noon.

Any bit of shade and they're on... I mean, they're on when I drive to work in the morning around 8am and it's bright and sunny out... and they're on when I leave work at 6pm.... and it's bright and sunny out.

The only time they're not on is middle of the day....

E93 6spd
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I believe it is in the rear view mirror. You can adjust the sensitivity with a computer hook up.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
DaveZ
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I do not know the algorithm used, but my sense is that it is more than just a simple brightness threshold. I have noticed that all of our BMW's have turned on the headlights when the sun is low in the sky even when it is perfectly bright out. I notice this especially in the winter when there is extended dusk. The lights will even turn on if I am driving directly into the sun, but it is an hour or so away from setting. Again, I have no way to be sure, but my guess is that it is somehow tuned to turn on the lights during early morning / evening when it is still bright but visual contrast is deceptively lowered.
      07-31-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
DrVolkl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93 6spd/ '13 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveZ View Post
I do not know the algorithm used, but my sense is that it is more than just a simple brightness threshold. I have noticed that all of our BMW's have turned on the headlights when the sun is low in the sky even when it is perfectly bright out. I notice this especially in the winter when there is extended dusk. The lights will even turn on if I am driving directly into the sun, but it is an hour or so away from setting. Again, I have no way to be sure, but my guess is that it is somehow tuned to turn on the lights during early morning / evening when it is still bright but visual contrast is deceptively lowered.
Well imagine living in Seattle where the sun is never all that high... and it's light out till 10:30 at night sometimes. Guess I'll have to go back to flipping the switch myself. 1st world problems.

E93 6spd
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 11:31 PM   #5
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVolkl View Post
Well imagine living in Seattle where the sun is never all that high... and it's light out till 10:30 at night sometimes. Guess I'll have to go back to flipping the switch myself. 1st world problems.
I do that anyways to avoid the inevitable turn-on inside the garage. Rocking it old school, I guess.
      08-01-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
asirvr4
Private First Class
Oman
Rep
Drives: '06 M Coupe VRS Blue

i think there is two sensors, one at the LCM switch itself and other somewhere at the rear of the car.
Appreciate 0