ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Looking at Vantage V8, would this worry you?

Hoping to plug into the breadth of knowledge on this forum.

So I am considering pulling the trigger on a 2010 AM Vantage V8.

The vantage has been my OTHER dream car for a long time (the Z4C has been my dream car ever since it appeared as a concept).

Anyhow, I've come across one that is being offered at a used car dealer just outside toronto. Its a 2010 with 25000 km and they state that the AM warranty is still applicable.

I asked how they acquired it. They said that they bought it from an AM dealer in Montreal, Quebec. It was traded in there by the original owner.

I asked why the montreal dealer would not retain such a rare car and sell it themselves and the response I got was "its hard to say why, they are a huge dealer and can't keep all their trade ins"

This just doesn't ring true for me, and makes me think there may be some story behind the car that explains why the AM dealer didn't sell it themselves.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

absolutely gorgeous car!!!!!

What about contacting the AM dealer in Montreal?
see if you can get the service record.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Im looking into an 08 vantage myself... Do you know any good links or forums for AM?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

6speedonline.com has a section I believe
      06-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
absolutely gorgeous car!!!!!

What about contacting the AM dealer in Montreal?
see if you can get the service record.
Thanks for the thought, getting the service records will def be part of the process if I go further, but just looking to get a sense from people if they think the scenario is a bit odd.

Its akin to a BMW dealer getting an mcoupe in as a trade and then not selling it themselves? would that not worry you?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshanno1 View Post
Im looking into an 08 vantage myself... Do you know any good links or forums for AM?
I found some good info googling "vantage owners"
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
Thanks for the thought, getting the service records will def be part of the process if I go further, but just looking to get a sense from people if they think the scenario is a bit odd.

Its akin to a BMW dealer getting an mcoupe in as a trade and then not selling it themselves? would that not worry you?
I think that sort of thing happens all the time.
It costs them money to keep inventory and they have float limits.
So it becomes a juggling act for what the keep and what they don't.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Depends on the area. Im working in Mobile, AL, and I have talked to a few dealers in the area regarding trade in, and none of them want the M Coupe on their lots. The only way they were going to accept a trade-in is if they could find a buyer before hand.
Back in Atlanta, GA, I received multiple offers from dealers for trade-in. I guess it depends on local clientele.

BTW if anyone is looking for a dealer to work with in Atlanta, Motorcars of Georgia is a fantastic dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I found some good info googling "vantage owners"
Really? I didn't see anything
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshanno1 View Post
Really? I didn't see anything
here's one useful thread I found

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278677
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

[QUOTE=inTgr8r;12239981]I think that sort of thing happens all the time.
It costs them money to keep inventory and they have float limits.
So it becomes a juggling act for what the keep and what they don't.[/QU

that makes sense, but then there's the whole car from quebec deal....
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #12
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

http://www.astonmartinlife.com/forums/
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshanno1
Quote:

Depends on the area. Im working in Mobile, AL, and I have talked to a few dealers in the area regarding trade in, and none of them want the M Coupe on their lots. The only way they were going to accept a trade-in is if they could find a buyer before hand.
Back in Atlanta, GA, I received multiple offers from dealers for trade-in. I guess it depends on local clientele.

BTW if anyone is looking for a dealer to work with in Atlanta, Motorcars of Georgia is a fantastic dealer.
BMW of Mobile had an M coupe I was going to check out, but they got rid of it before I got there.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #14
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
BMW of Mobile had an M coupe I was going to check out, but they got rid of it before I got there.
yes they did. I was talking to the GM of the dealership, and he told me that he couldn't find anyone to buy it. I think he said that he let go for 27k. This was last fall.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:

Without knowing more info about the car itself, no it would not worry me. When I picked up my Moupe back in '07, I traded in my beloved late '04 ZHP. It was very well cared for, freshly detailed (clayed et all), new tires, and an interior as clean as a new car. The dealer, however, would not keep it on their lot and sell it, though, because the mileage on it exceeded their threshold for what they would sell. The sales person I bought my Moupe from is the same person that sold me the ZHP. They know my cars are very well cared for and there were no issues with the car. In fact, they didn't doubt that it would sell quickly, but dealership policy is what it was.

Also, inTgr8r is on point IMO.
      06-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #16
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Update

So I test drove the vantage today.

The dealership seemed straight up and didn't try to overly explain why the AM dealer didn't retain the vehicle.

I did note that the car was far from cosmetically perfect. The rocker panel AM plates were badly scuffed. The interior was dirty and scuffed in some places (I've heard such good reviews of the interiors but wasn't all that impressed).

It may be the cosmetic issues that disqualified the car for sale by the AM dealer.

My impressions:

Exterior: I got the opportunity to park my Z4C directly behind the vantage. And while it hardly looked like the ugly sister, the vantage's aesthetic advantage was apparent. It really is a beautiful car. But it is also quite big. Its long and wide.

Interior: As mentionned, I was not overly impressed. I am not a big interior guy, so perhaps the finesse was lost on me.

driving position: here's where the large size of the vantage is really felt. It felt big from the inside. I am 5,10 so not short, but the hood seemed huge and I felt dwarfed by the car. It was reminiscent of my 350Z which felt like driving a bathtub.

Driving impressions: The exhaust note is glorious. Shift action is precise and short (better than the Z4C). Clutch is heavy. Throttle response is good. Low end torque is not. In all honesty the initial pull was not markedly better than the Z4C. But overall pull was noticeably much stronger and my Z4C felt noticeably weak in contrast when I first hit the throttle again. The size of the vantage was again felt in cornering. It was flat and had pretty good steering feel, but again it felt big. The Z4C felt more tossable. The vantage did exhibit some wheel hop over rougher roads, but this is something I experience all too often with my Z4C as well.

Intangible fun factor: the vantage just doesn't have it, its a big car and there's a lack of immediacy and connection that the Z4C has. Its faster, handles better and looks better, but I dare say its not as fun as the Z4C.

I walked away disappointed. The vantage has been the car I've aspired to for some time. Anytime I see it in motion and hear the exhaust note, I want one. But now that I've driven one, I don't. Its a little bittersweet, makes me appreciate the Z4C but its another ideal crushed.

I await the 2014 cayman.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #17
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Good review, thanks for your impressions.
I fear that any car I own in future will always fall short of my Z4MC
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #18
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

thanks for the review
      07-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #19
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I was overly impressed by the AM looks as well but really disappointed by the dynamics the last time I rented a Vanquish.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #20
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

The sound of the vantage is amazing. Heard one a few days ago, and it beat out the ferrari in looks and sound. Didn't get to drive it. I've always felt AM is underpowered for the engine displacement compared to HP. Isn't it usually around 70-80 hp/litre. Don't think you could replace the Z4 with it but maybe compliment it. A daily driver that is a little more civilized with the M being the weekend/track car. Thanks for your review
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #21
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
So I test drove the vantage today.

The dealership seemed straight up and didn't try to overly explain why the AM dealer didn't retain the vehicle.

I did note that the car was far from cosmetically perfect. The rocker panel AM plates were badly scuffed. The interior was dirty and scuffed in some places (I've heard such good reviews of the interiors but wasn't all that impressed).

It may be the cosmetic issues that disqualified the car for sale by the AM dealer.

My impressions:

Exterior: I got the opportunity to park my Z4C directly behind the vantage. And while it hardly looked like the ugly sister, the vantage's aesthetic advantage was apparent. It really is a beautiful car. But it is also quite big. Its long and wide.

Interior: As mentionned, I was not overly impressed. I am not a big interior guy, so perhaps the finesse was lost on me.

driving position: here's where the large size of the vantage is really felt. It felt big from the inside. I am 5,10 so not short, but the hood seemed huge and I felt dwarfed by the car. It was reminiscent of my 350Z which felt like driving a bathtub.

Driving impressions: The exhaust note is glorious. Shift action is precise and short (better than the Z4C). Clutch is heavy. Throttle response is good. Low end torque is not. In all honesty the initial pull was not markedly better than the Z4C. But overall pull was noticeably much stronger and my Z4C felt noticeably weak in contrast when I first hit the throttle again. The size of the vantage was again felt in cornering. It was flat and had pretty good steering feel, but again it felt big. The Z4C felt more tossable. The vantage did exhibit some wheel hop over rougher roads, but this is something I experience all too often with my Z4C as well.

Intangible fun factor: the vantage just doesn't have it, its a big car and there's a lack of immediacy and connection that the Z4C has. Its faster, handles better and looks better, but I dare say its not as fun as the Z4C.

I walked away disappointed. The vantage has been the car I've aspired to for some time. Anytime I see it in motion and hear the exhaust note, I want one. But now that I've driven one, I don't. Its a little bittersweet, makes me appreciate the Z4C but its another ideal crushed.

I await the 2014 cayman.
Nice review.

When I went to look at a 2007 Lamborghini Gallardo I was disappointed by the interior. It was so old looking I couldn't get into it. I was disappointed as well so I can see what you mean.

Anyway keep your Z4. Awesome cars.
Appreciate 0