ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
Traveler218
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i Montego Blue Matalic

Front Bumper Refresh

Just got my 2007 3.0i Montego Blue Metallic Z4 back from the local body shop after having the front bumper painted. It had gotten pretty dinged up by a gravel truck on the freeway Now it looks great again

Edit: I added picture. Unfortunately I forgot to take any "before" so these are "after" pictures only.
Attached Images

Last edited by Traveler218; 06-28-2012 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

I think in your excitement you forgot to post before and after pictures!

hahah...seriously though, I've been there before with my E46 and the bumper refresh changed the look of the car...to me at least. Congrats and lets see some pics!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
I know your excitement picture quality not very good but from what I can see it looks good. Grats!

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Let the paint cure then add a clear bra... I wouldn't live without one out here in the desert. They've served me well on several cars.
      06-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
jrainlay
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Let the paint cure then add a clear bra... I wouldn't live without one out here in the desert. They've served me well on several cars.
KevinC, I live in Scottsdale and I know what you mean about the desert! Where did you get your clear bra? Also, are there any active Z4 groups in the Phenix area?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 04:41 AM   #6
Nate2046
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 e92M

I'm thinking of having the same thing done on my Coupe, it could really use a refresh. If you don't mind me asking what did it cost you, approximately? Also, did they remove the bumper and paint just that or did they 'blend' it into the hood and fenders. I would rather keep the original paint on my other parts but body shops seem to be reluctant to do that usually.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
Traveler218
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate2046 View Post
I'm thinking of having the same thing done on my Coupe, it could really use a refresh. If you don't mind me asking what did it cost you, approximately? Also, did they remove the bumper and paint just that or did they 'blend' it into the hood and fenders. I would rather keep the original paint on my other parts but body shops seem to be reluctant to do that usually.
Cost was about $475. They removed the front bumper and just painted it. The rest of the paint is in great shape, I just couldn't live with the front bumper any more.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
Traveler218
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate2046 View Post
Cost was about $475. They removed the front bumper and just painted it. The rest of the paint is in great shape, I just couldn't live with the front bumper any more.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
MinneapolisJeff
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

this is one of the projects on my wish list, only I'll be ordering a new bumper as my current one is pretty well chewed up underneath (and with the clear bra puts the project over $1k, hence, on the wish list LOL)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
Traveler218
Enlisted Member
Rep

What is the cost on the "Clear Bra"? Having just painted the front bumper, it is on my list of things to do.

Any suggestions on brand? I am considering "Invisible Mask" but don't have any experience with these. should I go with the whole kit or just the front bumper? And finally, is this reasonably a do-it-yourself project or should I spring for a professional install?

Sorry for all the questions.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

It's a product made by 3M, a very thin clear vinyl that protects your paint from rock chips, and when installed correctly are pretty much invisible and do a great job of protecting. I think other people make them too, but 3M seems to be the "go to" brand for these. They sell pre cut kits I think, but your best bet would probably be to find a local shop (usually body shops and window tint shops are certified to sell and install them) that sells and installs them to get a quote. Unless you are really good with vinyl wrapping it would probably be best to leave it to a professional.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
Traveler218
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gferil View Post
It's a product made by 3M, a very thin clear vinyl that protects your paint from rock chips, and when installed correctly are pretty much invisible and do a great job of protecting. I think other people make them too, but 3M seems to be the "go to" brand for these. They sell pre cut kits I think, but your best bet would probably be to find a local shop (usually body shops and window tint shops are certified to sell and install them) that sells and installs them to get a quote. Unless you are really good with vinyl wrapping it would probably be best to leave it to a professional.
Thanks! I've never tried "vinyl wrapping" so i think I'll take the suggestion to find a pro.

How long should I wait for the paint to cure before having the Bra installed?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

2 weeks if you can avoid driving
      06-30-2012, 01:38 AM   #14
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrainlay View Post
KevinC, I live in Scottsdale and I know what you mean about the desert! Where did you get your clear bra? Also, are there any active Z4 groups in the Phenix area?
Protective Film Solutions in North Scottsdale.. they've done 3 cars for me now, they're awesome...

http://www.protectivefilmsolutions.biz/

Also - down here in Chandler, there's a guy whose main business is doing all the lease return touchups for Chapman BMW. He does incredible work, and is DIRT CHEAP. He fixed the knackered fang on my car for $100 - and that included R&R'ing the bumper, repairing the scrape damage, and respraying. That's ridiculous. If you ever need such a repair, he's your man...

http://ultimateautotouchups.com/index.html

Not sure about Z4 groups in the area. Probably your best option is the local BMWCCA chapter, you can find them via BMWCCA.org.
      06-30-2012, 03:55 AM   #15
jrainlay
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
KevinC, thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0