ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

How to take apart steering wheel controls?

So I am repainting my worn rubber steering wheel spokes to match the other silver trim.

I want to do a good job so after I took apart the volume control portion by removing the small torx screws, I couldn't get the volume/track button out!

How do I remove the rest of the inside of the steering wheel controls so I can spray everything evenly?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 ESS TS1 Z4

Garage List
On the top sides of your steering wheel there are 2 small holes. Put a long thin screwdriver in there and you will press on a spring. Its a strong spring so some force is needed. Once you find it push enough and pull on the airbag a little bit on that side, repeat on the other side. Once that is out you can lay it over the top. There are 2 more torx on the bottom ones. too, after those torx are all out you can just pull apart the plastic pieces. If you need more detailed instructions shoot me a PM with your number and Ill send you pics.

You can uplug your battery if you feel more comfortable.
TS2/Cat-Less Headers/Jet Hot Coating 2000/CF Engine covers & Oil Cap/RPi Scoop/Matte Black Grills/H&R Sport Springs/15mm Spacers Rear/12mm Spacers Front/Flowmaster 40 series/Alcantara Shift Boot/CF Vinyl wrap/SPEC Stage 2+ clutch/8 Lbs Fly wheel/ZHP Shift knob/Hawk HPS Pads/Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/Performance Pedal Set/Stewart water pump
Love is like a fart; if you have to force it, it's probably shit.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Thanks, but I was looking for one step further, once you take the control triangle part out, I need to know how to dissect it so the main volume/track buttons come out.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 ESS TS1 Z4

Garage List
There should be 2 or 4 little clips that you have to push in on the sides. Good luck!
TS2/Cat-Less Headers/Jet Hot Coating 2000/CF Engine covers & Oil Cap/RPi Scoop/Matte Black Grills/H&R Sport Springs/15mm Spacers Rear/12mm Spacers Front/Flowmaster 40 series/Alcantara Shift Boot/CF Vinyl wrap/SPEC Stage 2+ clutch/8 Lbs Fly wheel/ZHP Shift knob/Hawk HPS Pads/Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/Performance Pedal Set/Stewart water pump
Love is like a fart; if you have to force it, it's probably shit.
Appreciate 0