ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
cobradoc
Rep
Drives: 2006 BSM Z4 M Coupe

Z4M Service History and PPI

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums and was hoping for some advice. I've been in the market for a Z4M coupe for the last 6 months and just put a deposit down on a great deal in the Dallas area from a non-BMW dealership. I'm looking to get a PPI, but I'm torn between going to the local BMW dealer (providing they still do these) or a local independent. Although I'm still researching which indy or dealer to go to, I assume that the advantages of going to the dealership would be getting past maintenance history (not provided with the car), but sacrificing thoroughness of the PPI. My experience with some indy shops where I live in Houston is that they are more thorough.

My first thought would be to ask the BMW dealership for the history, but take it to an indy for the inspection, but I'm thinking the BMW dealership will likely tell me to go pound sand. I've also heard that some dealerships won't give this information out period. If anyone has any thoughts on how to finagle this situation I'd appreciate it. Also, if anyone has any experience with Dallas shops, that'd be appreciated as well. (I'll post in the Texas forums for local recs too).

I've been lurking for awhile and it seems to be a great forum. I'm excited about the car, but I guess I just have an affinity for these little two door coupes. Although I've just recently sold a 997S, I had a Cayman S, Lotus Elise, Boxster S, Audi TT, and S2000 previously and loved them all. I can't wait to experience the S54 engine though! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by cobradoc; 06-24-2012 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Beige car

You could at least try a couple dealerships and see if they'll give you the history. I know my dealer didn't blink when I asked them to check if certain things were done and at what mileage/date. Of course I was going in for an oil change so your experience might differ. What's the worst they could say?

I would search "ppi" on this forum because this is a frequent question.
Appreciate 0