ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-20-2018, 06:12 PM   #1
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 MSport, '16 M3 ZCP

Battery Replacement

Hi,
My Z4 07 3.0si needs a new battery so I picked one up from the dealer today. I searched everywhere on here and on Bimmerfest for a DIY guide to make sure I don't make any mistakes but haven't had any luck.

If anyone can link it that will be great. Dealer parts said I don't need to register the batter or anything. Can anyone confirm?

Do I just remove the negative then positive then install new one - positive then negative and that's it or is there something extra I need to do.

I was going to wait until the spring but it was 65 today and it will be just as nice tomorrow!

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 07:00 PM   #2
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86 3.0si

Garage List
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duped View Post
Hi,
Dealer parts said I don't need to register the batter or anything. Can anyone confirm?

Yep...your dealer parts gave correct info

Do I just remove the negative then positive then install new one - positive then negative and that's it or is there something extra I need to do.

Yep...that's the correct sequence. The battery hold down bracket needs to be removed (then re-installed on the new battery)...there's also a vent tube that you'll re-attach.
The only additional step, my windows needed to be reset. Here's how it's done: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62834
Appreciate 1
Waoudi23.00
      01-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3798j View Post
Quote:
Hi,
Dealer parts said I don't need to register the batter or anything. Can anyone confirm?

Yep...your dealer parts gave correct info

Yep...that's the correct sequence. The battery hold down bracket needs to be removed (then re-installed on the new battery)...there's also a vent tube that you'll re-attach.
The only additional step, my windows needed to be reset. Here's how it's done: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62834
There was a small cable attached to the battery that the new battery (bmw stock) doesn't have a hole for.
It's a thin cable that attaches to the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 05:31 PM   #4
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86 3.0si

Garage List
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
Quote:
There was a small cable attached to the battery that the new battery (bmw stock) doesn't have a hole for.
Not certain, but I think you might be talking about the vent tube. In this photo I'm pointing to the vent tube. Not familiar with batteries sold by BMW parts departments, but some AGM batteries have no provision (or need) for a vent tube connection.

Appreciate 2
Waoudi23.00
Efthreeoh17276.00
      01-21-2018, 06:49 PM   #5
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3798j View Post
Quote:
Not certain, but I think you might be talking about the vent tube. In this photo I'm pointing to the vent tube. Not familiar with batteries sold by BMW parts departments, but some AGM batteries have no provision (or need) for a vent tube connection.

Yes that's what I'm talking about. I guess I will call the dealer tomorrow and confirm that's the case.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 01:45 PM   #6
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

There will be a hole on your new battery which this tube will plug into. The connector from the old one should work with the new battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 03:20 PM   #7
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
There will be a hole on your new battery which this tube will plug into. The connector from the old one should work with the new battery.
Didn't see a hole hence my original post
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 06:50 PM   #8
PLCZ4MC
Proud E86M Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M Coupe Monaco Blue

I am going to have to do this soon to my M Coupe,
Hopefully is not complicated for the ///M
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R Plasma Blue (SOLD)
2008 Z4///M Roadster Space Gray (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 12:28 PM   #9
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Didn't see a hole hence my original post
If not then I think you got the wrong battery. All of them should have a vent hole since the battery is in the trunk. Is the new battery identical in size/shape/configuration to the old one?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #10
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
All of the batteries that I had used have a vent hole on either sides, including 3 different AGMs. Some may have a plug on them that you will need to remove in order to install the vent tube.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 04:00 PM   #11
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
All of the batteries that I had used have a vent hole on either sides, including 3 different AGMs. Some may have a plug on them that you will need to remove in order to install the vent tube.
I'll have to look again.

What happens if I don't have the vent plugged in? I drove it a few times.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 04:36 PM   #12
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
I'll have to look again.

What happens if I don't have the vent plugged in? I drove it a few times.
Found the hole and just ordered a new vent hose from Amazon. I'm guessing if I don't drive the car until the vent is replaced there won't be enough gas or do I need to leave the trunk open?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 06:13 AM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Let me ask a few questions. The new battery from BMW should have come with a little bag with a new elbow vent connector and a small plug; did your battery come with the bag of parts? There should be two holes along the edge of the top of the battery case one on each of the short sides. Depending upon orientation of the battery in the car, the vent uses one hole and the other hole is plugged. It's possible that the service/parts department opened the parts bag and plugged the hole in one of the sides already. Just make sure the other vent hole is plugged. Hopefully you bought OE BMW vent tube parts??? And did you orient the partition wall correctly? CarMax even screwed that up on my Z4

If you had to buy new vent line parts, then that tells me the original battery was replaced and whomever did the replacement didn't understand what the vent was for and discarded it, so you've been running "ventless" for however long you've owned the Z4 (and haven't died yet ). This was the situation I had when I bought my Z4 Coupe used from CarMax, the battery had been replaced with the wrong case size - so it just slid around and there was no vent line connected.

Batteries are another case for "only trained BMW techs should ever touch a BMW"; well, or a seasoned long-time BMW owner. Something as simple as a battery install will get screwed up. No need to register the battery in the E85/86 Z4.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 10:21 AM   #14
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Let me ask a few questions. The new battery from BMW should have come with a little bag with a new elbow vent connector and a small plug; did your battery come with the bag of parts? There should be two holes along the edge of the top of the battery case one on each of the short sides. Depending upon orientation of the battery in the car, the vent uses one hole and the other hole is plugged. It's possible that the service/parts department opened the parts bag and plugged the hole in one of the sides already. Just make sure the other vent hole is plugged. Hopefully you bought OE BMW vent tube parts??? And did you orient the partition wall correctly? CarMax even screwed that up on my Z4

If you had to buy new vent line parts, then that tells me the original battery was replaced and whomever did the replacement didn't understand what the vent was for and discarded it, so you've been running "ventless" for however long you've owned the Z4 (and haven't died yet ). This was the situation I had when I bought my Z4 Coupe used from CarMax, the battery had been replaced with the wrong case size - so it just slid around and there was no vent line connected.

Batteries are another case for "only trained BMW techs should ever touch a BMW"; well, or a seasoned long-time BMW owner. Something as simple as a battery install will get screwed up. No need to register the battery in the E85/86 Z4.
The old battery had a vent installed but when I installed the new one it wasn't easy to see it so i assumed it didn't have one. I ordered a dorman battery vent from amazon which looked like similar to the one installed and it was easier than driving to the dealer across town.

How safe is it to drive ventless?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 10:37 AM   #15
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The old battery had a vent installed but when I installed the new one it wasn't easy to see it so i assumed it didn't have one. I ordered a dorman battery vent from amazon which looked like similar to the one installed and it was easier than driving to the dealer across town.

Very safe.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 09:13 PM   #16
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

When you pulled the old battery the elbow should have come loose from the side of the battery and stayed with the rubber tubing. All you do is plug the elbow into the side of the new battery. Shouldn't need to order a new one.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 01:28 AM   #17
HarryFD
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4

Quote:

The vent is to prevent the accumulation of corrosive fumes in your trunk which will damage the electronics and metal. My 911 has a similar setup and if you do not vent a conventional battery, the metal slowly gets eaten away.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 06:37 AM   #18
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryFD View Post
The vent is to prevent the accumulation of corrosive fumes in your trunk which will damage the electronics and metal. My 911 has a similar setup and if you do not vent a conventional battery, the metal slowly gets eaten away.
All car cabins are ventilated. The vent tubing is set up to prevent battery acid from spilling into the battery compartment if the battery over charges.
Appreciate 0