ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-17-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
laidback
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M's

Exclamation RPI (Race Precision Inc.) finally have the scoops for the Mcoupe:)

After RPI had alot of success on the E60 and E63 M5's on their famous scoops for the air intake of the M5/6's (gains from 18-20 hp just from the scoops) ...I met up with Eloy and Gabe from RPI and I told them if they can make one for the Mcoupe and also the skid plates for the front bumper and they told me to give them a couple of days to think on how to incorporate it on the M, So I got a call yesterday and Eloy told me if i can come to their shop and get the RPI scoop installed and the skip plate for the front bumper... I was all excited i had to take a day off...My butt o meter tells me we got POWER (hp and tq) drives better too...if you guys are interested on the RPI scoops and skip plates for the front you can reach them on http://www.raceprecision.com/php/ via email or phone call...we will be doing some dyno time to confirm how many HP/tq we got from the RPI scoops...stay tuned

Skid plates...

Last edited by laidback; 01-17-2008 at 11:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

i'm guessing it involves removing the front bumper like with the DINAN scoop for the Z4s... does it involve cutting the right side diagonal brace too? i'll be interested in the dyno results. i totally felt a difference in the butt-o-meter with the DINAN scoop... especially on the highway. i'll stay tuned...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Very nice The skid plates useful where you are from? Nothing to really scrape around here!
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #4
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ///M Roadster + E92 335i 6MT

how much $$$?

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
RPIpower
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M, G80 M3

Installation for the scoop will take about 10 minutes and the bumper does not need to be removed. Cost of the scoop will be around $100 and release is only to be determined when we can confirm actual hp gains on the dyno.

To get a better idea of how these work, you can read up on this post: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=105380

Its quite lengthy but everything is summed up in the first few pages.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
karmasabish
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster

good shit! real mods for the cars!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 08:53 PM   #7
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPIpower View Post
Installation for the scoop will take about 10 minutes and the bumper does not need to be removed. Cost of the scoop will be around $100 and release is only to be determined when we can confirm actual hp gains on the dyno.

To get a better idea of how these work, you can read up on this post: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=105380

Its quite lengthy but everything is summed up in the first few pages.
Sounds good, By the look of it the part shouldn't void of interfere with warranty I'd assume?

Will it only be in red? or a stealth black be available?

and how much would the skid plates go for? They seem very good and just what our M's need

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep

sign me up for a stealth black scoop.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 09:51 PM   #9
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Hell...I'd be willing to whip out some spray paint for 100$ and 20 hp/ lb-ft of torque. I don't care what the actual color is, sign me up!!! Of course, I'd like to see the dyno results tho

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 10:21 PM   #10
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmasabish View Post
good shit! real mods for the cars!
Are you kidding? Guys, its an air scoop. A PRE-FILTER air scoop. Give me a break. 20HP/Tq? Don't be delusional, you're making me laugh.

Smells like a troll to me. Is this your first spin around the block or what?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 11:46 PM   #11
laidback
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Who said 20 hp/tq gain for the Z4 M coupe (it still has to be determined on the dyno as RPI stated "release is only to be determined when we can confirm actual hp gains on the dyno" ...as far as the E60/E63 M5's they gain 15-20 hp on the scoops and that was proven on paper (dyno)...check the link posted on the M5board...so if i see a gain of 5-10 hp/tq i will be happy (and for a small price)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Are you kidding? Guys, its an air scoop. A PRE-FILTER air scoop. Give me a break. 20HP/Tq? Don't be delusional, you're making me laugh.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 01:14 AM   #12
laidback
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yup there are alot of dips here in SoCal...I have scrape my previous Z4 and already scrape the Mcoupe once...so i decided that the skid plates are must to save my bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Very nice The skid plates useful where you are from? Nothing to really scrape around here!

RPI can have them in black as they did them on the M5/M6's i only opted for the red, for a change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
Hell...I'd be willing to whip out some spray paint for 100$ and 20 hp/ lb-ft of torque. I don't care what the actual color is, sign me up!!! Of course, I'd like to see the dyno results tho
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 04:04 AM   #13
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Very interesting, now one for the N52! Can't wait to see those dyno results. I'm glad to see more and more people are coming out with Z4 mods.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 04:12 AM   #14
EdmM3
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 635CSi, Z4, 330xi, 530i, E90M3

Are skid plates metal, or plastic?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 05:43 AM   #15
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post

agreed... 20hp/trq is ridiculous.... but i do like the idea of getting more air to the engine
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 08:12 AM   #16
RPIpower
Captain
Rep

Those who may know a little more about our company will know about our highly conservative hp claims. Jumping the gun and saying 20hp gains is a bit premature but I would not be surprised to see that number depending on wind speeds. All our tests on the dyno are done with 70mph winds. The advantage of a ram air set up is that as speed increases, the amount of air forced into the intake system increases. We've seen 11-21whp gains (hp/tq) on the e60s and e63s. The amount of airflow increase is significant as we can immediately see the air/fuel ratios change INSTANTLY when we put the air scoops on. It takes the ecu about 4 wot dyno runs to dial in the correct afr and that is where we see the peak gains. Some have reported quicker 50-200kph runs on the M5board via gps performance tracking devices. I understand the skepticism though. How is a $100 item going to outperform some fancy looking intake and software that is $500+.

So far all the gains we have seen are without software or filter change. We are working with Powerchip to come out with a program to allow the ecu to further take advantage of the extra air.

As far as the skid plates go. They are aluminum and was $95 installed. (basically pay an hour of labor).
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 08:43 AM   #17
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep

are the scoops made of aluminum too?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 09:00 AM   #18
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Those who may know a little more about our company will know about our highly conservative hp claims. Jumping the gun and saying 20hp gains is a bit premature but I would not be surprised to see that number depending on wind speeds. All our tests on the dyno are done with 70mph winds. The advantage of a ram air set up is that as speed increases, the amount of air forced into the intake system increases. We've seen 11-21whp gains (hp/tq) on the e60s and e63s. The amount of airflow increase is significant as we can immediately see the air/fuel ratios change INSTANTLY when we put the air scoops on. It takes the ecu about 4 wot dyno runs to dial in the correct afr and that is where we see the peak gains. Some have reported quicker 50-200kph runs on the M5board via gps performance tracking devices. I understand the skepticism though. How is a $100 item going to outperform some fancy looking intake and software that is $500+.

So far all the gains we have seen are without software or filter change. We are working with Powerchip to come out with a program to allow the ecu to further take advantage of the extra air.

As far as the skid plates go. They are aluminum and was $95 installed. (basically pay an hour of labor).
Why 70 mph? I'd like to see you do dyno runs at verying wind speeds. 70 mph seems like a random number. I'd like to see some schematics on the design too...is it just a scoop attached to a constant diameter pipe or do you have a converging throat area to increase flow speed/pressure as it enters the combustion chamber?

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #19
RPIpower
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
Why 70 mph? I'd like to see you do dyno runs at verying wind speeds. 70 mph seems like a random number. I'd like to see some schematics on the design too...is it just a scoop attached to a constant diameter pipe or do you have a converging throat area to increase flow speed/pressure as it enters the combustion chamber?
70mph is just what our dyno fan is rated at. Our fan flows 70mph at 8ft from the front of the car. We do all our hp tests with the hood closed. The factory air ducting is very efficient but relies on vacuum to provide air to the engine. There is a small cup with 1/4 to 1/2 of a velocity stack. The scoop pictured above is the first prototype (laidback has been asking us for some time to make him one.). As with our scoops for the m5 and m6, the final design will be done on the car on the dyno. Its hard to tell from the picture but the scoop flares outward to provide a larger surface area to collect air. It them flares inward to help with air velocity going into the factory air duct. We conduct our tests in an "open house" manner so all are welcome to come watch our product testing. If the stuff works, you all can see. If it doesnt work, you all can see too. Its our priority to provide a good, funcitonal yet cost effective product to our customers.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 10:44 AM   #20
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

If this works, count me in for one, assuming it fits on my 3.0i.
I'm assuming the intakes are similar on the M and non M Z's.

Although two of the M5 ducts costs 125 (dual intake), so would it make sense that the Z4 version is only 62.50? :P
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 12:12 PM   #21
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
70mph is just what our dyno fan is rated at. Our fan flows 70mph at 8ft from the front of the car. We do all our hp tests with the hood closed. The factory air ducting is very efficient but relies on vacuum to provide air to the engine. There is a small cup with 1/4 to 1/2 of a velocity stack. The scoop pictured above is the first prototype (laidback has been asking us for some time to make him one.). As with our scoops for the m5 and m6, the final design will be done on the car on the dyno. Its hard to tell from the picture but the scoop flares outward to provide a larger surface area to collect air. It them flares inward to help with air velocity going into the factory air duct. We conduct our tests in an "open house" manner so all are welcome to come watch our product testing. If the stuff works, you all can see. If it doesnt work, you all can see too. Its our priority to provide a good, funcitonal yet cost effective product to our customers.
stop typing, and start testing!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #22
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Will they be for sale otherwise?

I don't feel like driving cross country for you guys to install them

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0