ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #1
prototype55
Registered
Rep
Drives: n/a

Couple of questions

Hi,
I am thinking of getting a z4 m. my first question is how many miles on a z4 before it becomes problematic, i see a lot of z4m's with 70-90k miles and i am a bit nervous about buying a performance car with that many miles. Second question is coupe or convertible? I plan to use it as a daily driver and maybe do autocross or track day very occasionally. I have just started getting into the z4 m and I hope to own one after I learn a bit more about them.
Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 06:00 PM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I have nearly 150k miles on mine. Leaks oil like mad, but runs great.
Buying a high mileage one will depend on what maintenance was done by the previous owner.
Do a search in these forums for Vanos to get an education on some of the more expensive things you'll want to make sure have been done.
As for coupe or roadster, it depends on what the weather's like in n/a.
I love having the roadster here in SoCal. Chilly today, though. Only 75°.
      11-17-2016, 06:26 PM   #3
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Buying a high mileage one will depend on what maintenance was done by the previous owner.
Do a search in these forums for Vanos to get an education on some of the more expensive things you'll want to make sure have been done.
Wow - you hit 150k already? I have about 100k to catch up. Well...more driving fun to do

Chilly day indeed - I had to break out the jacket even in my coupe

Don't forget about the other expensive item - rod bearings
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 07:16 PM   #4
prototype55
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Wow - you hit 150k already? I have about 100k to catch up. Well...more driving fun to do

Chilly day indeed - I had to break out the jacket even in my coupe

Don't forget about the other expensive item - rod bearings
Thanks for the response guys. I live in NJ so it can get below 0 F in the winter and summers can get up to 95ish F. How well does the heater in the convertible work, and how well does the top keep the heat in?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 08:15 PM   #5
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
You know that we're just busting your chops about being chilly in SoCal 75* weather, right? The heater works fine in these cars, but my suggestion is to look for one with heated seats if you want a convertible
Appreciate 2
deemo3191748.00
      11-17-2016, 09:52 PM   #6
prototype55
Registered
Rep

Quote:
You know that we're just busting your chops about being chilly in SoCal 75* weather, right? The heater works fine in these cars, but my suggestion is to look for one with heated seats if you want a convertible
Thought so but i just wanted to be sure. I know convertibles can leak heat out really fast so i was just curious if the same issue happens in the z4
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 06:43 AM   #7
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
I saw one review a while back compare the Z4 heater to a small nuclear reactor approaching meltdown - you should not be cold. If the heated seats in the Z4 are anything like the ones in my wife's 328, you may find that you have to turn them down - they are that good.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 09:09 AM   #8
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Horse and Buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype55 View Post
Hi,
I am thinking of getting a z4 m. my first question is how many miles on a z4 before it becomes problematic, i see a lot of z4m's with 70-90k miles and i am a bit nervous about buying a performance car with that many miles. Second question is coupe or convertible? I plan to use it as a daily driver and maybe do autocross or track day very occasionally. I have just started getting into the z4 m and I hope to own one after I learn a bit more about them.
Thanks guys
There are a lot of variables at play, so it's a bit hard to pin down a specific mileage range to watch out for. Proper maintenance and care is usually the biggest factor on reliability. Did the prior owner follow the recommended maintenance schedule and not abuse the car or were they doing redline clutch-drops on a cold engine? You need to find an enthusiast owner who has documented maintenance history.

Overall, I feel the Z4M's are pretty durable and the engines, aside from a few hit-or-miss issues (rod bearings on early model years, VANOS, engine mounts) are especially durable and overbuilt. My Z4M only has 35k miles, but I've had zero issues.

The coupe is better suited for track and autocross thanks to a stiffer frame and body. It's actually a little heavier than the roadster, but it's hardly noticeable. I've never tracked or raced my roadster, but I'm sure it would still be a lot of fun on a track.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #9
RedOctober
Private First Class
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype55 View Post
Thanks for the response guys. I live in NJ so it can get below 0 F in the winter and summers can get up to 95ish F. How well does the heater in the convertible work, and how well does the top keep the heat in?
Are you looking for a year round daily driver ? Convertible so you can drop the top on those few nice NJ days.
Serious about track days more than once in the car's life?
As mentioned already, coupe is the way to go. Significantly stiffer.

There are some exceptional finds around with a little bit of investigative work.
Ultimately, it's whatever lights your burner, rag tops or coupes.
I like the coupe, personally. I don't care about track days.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 06:43 PM   #10
prototype55
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPop View Post
There are a lot of variables at play, so it's a bit hard to pin down a specific mileage range to watch out for. Proper maintenance and care is usually the biggest factor on reliability. Did the prior owner follow the recommended maintenance schedule and not abuse the car or were they doing redline clutch-drops on a cold engine? You need to find an enthusiast owner who has documented maintenance history.

Overall, I feel the Z4M's are pretty durable and the engines, aside from a few hit-or-miss issues (rod bearings on early model years, VANOS, engine mounts) are especially durable and overbuilt. My Z4M only has 35k miles, but I've had zero issues.

The coupe is better suited for track and autocross thanks to a stiffer frame and body. It's actually a little heavier than the roadster, but it's hardly noticeable. I've never tracked or raced my roadster, but I'm sure it would still be a lot of fun on a track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober View Post
Are you looking for a year round daily driver ? Convertible so you can drop the top on those few nice NJ days.
Serious about track days more than once in the car's life?
As mentioned already, coupe is the way to go. Significantly stiffer.

There are some exceptional finds around with a little bit of investigative work.
Ultimately, it's whatever lights your burner, rag tops or coupes.
I like the coupe, personally. I don't care about track days.
I am leaning towards the roadster as of right now and thanks for the replies guys I have learned a lot already.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 08:45 PM   #11
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Prototype,

Just a couple of other thoughts: First, many track-day organizations won't allow roadsters, even if they have built-in roll bars like the Z4. Second, the roadster's top holds heat just fine in my experience. The heater is great, and I defy anyone to leave the heated seats on the three-bar setting for more than a few minutes. One bar only is usually plenty! Finally, there is no question but that the Z4M is a monster sports car. At the same time, the 3.0i and 3.0si are great cars, too. Unless you really want the hyperspeed capability of the M, you might take a look at the other models, too.

Happy researching and shopping!

Rick F.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 09:17 PM   #12
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F. View Post
Prototype,

Just a couple of other thoughts: First, many track-day organizations won't allow roadsters, even if they have built-in roll bars like the Z4. Second, the roadster's top holds heat just fine in my experience. The heater is great, and I defy anyone to leave the heated seats on the three-bar setting for more than a few minutes. One bar only is usually plenty! Finally, there is no question but that the Z4M is a monster sports car. At the same time, the 3.0i and 3.0si are great cars, too. Unless you really want the hyperspeed capability of the M, you might take a look at the other models, too.

Happy researching and shopping!

Rick F.
SCCA, Hooked on Driving, and CHIN allow soft tops in their PDX/HPDE events. Most everyone else, including BMWCCA, don't but you can do 1-2 events a month year round with the groups that do allow it.