ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-13-2015, 07:41 PM   #1
Ranger_Vet68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i E85 Roadster

Bridgestone Or Michelin

I'm going to be replacing the original tires that came with my '03 Z4 3.0i. I could stay with the Briggestone RE050A Run Flat, (Which costs one arm and one leg) or go with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. The Michelin is hands down the Better Tire in test results. And I have used Michelin's before and have had the smoothest ride, as well as the best gripping tire. The only Bell and Whistle the Michelin tire dose not have is the "Run Flat". That's why I have a AAA card, so it get's picked up, towed back to the tire place, and have the tire fixed or replaced........Ideas, Suggestions??

Thank You.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 08:23 PM   #2
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Chuck the Run flats

Mine was night and day difference without the run flats - in fact I have a 75% set of the Bridgestones in my shed I will sell you cheap! They will never be on my car.

A flat bed is always just a little call away, so I am not putting up with the crack chasing run flats ever again.

I had my 300ZX Turbo for 14 years and never had a flat. Worth the chance to me.

Go for ride and performance - I love Michelins too - can't go wrong with them.
      09-13-2015, 08:51 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Get the M tire repair kit and throw it in the trunk
      09-13-2015, 09:05 PM   #4
Ranger_Vet68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Unlucky....Just out of curiosity, what do you want for those tires??
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 06:50 PM   #5
Bossdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR Imola Red

For my 2¢, I acquired my first Z4M this summer, it came with Goodyear run flats on. They are certainly are fine for daily driving. But, for just mild spirited driving, they SUCK! I was shocked. I am assuming the Z4M is not inherently mal-handling, poorly balanced, unstable driving platform.(OK, Possible overstatement! But I don't like them at all!) I am assuming it is the run-Flats.

Who actually wants to roll on their BMW OEM rims with a flat tire, I'm sure you can do it, I've never seen the end result, I would guess the rim could get kind of chewed up???

Anyway, I am looking forward to getting some lightweight rims and Some Bridgestone Potenza RE-11's on in the spring and take her to an Autocross event. Even if you don't want to Autocross regularly, It's a great, safe way to learn the limits of your car, understeer, oversteer and braking capabilities, etc.

Just my 2¢
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 10:30 PM   #6
Ranger_Vet68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Very Good 2Cents
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 10:34 PM   #7
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossdog View Post
For my 2¢, I acquired my first Z4M this summer, it came with Goodyear run flats on. They are certainly are fine for daily driving. But, for just mild spirited driving, they SUCK! I was shocked. I am assuming the Z4M is not inherently mal-handling, poorly balanced, unstable driving platform.(OK, Possible overstatement! But I don't like them at all!) I am assuming it is the run-Flats.

Who actually wants to roll on their BMW OEM rims with a flat tire, I'm sure you can do it, I've never seen the end result, I would guess the rim could get kind of chewed up???

Anyway, I am looking forward to getting some lightweight rims and Some Bridgestone Potenza RE-11's on in the spring and take her to an Autocross event. Even if you don't want to Autocross regularly, It's a great, safe way to learn the limits of your car, understeer, oversteer and braking capabilities, etc.

Just my 2¢
The PO of your car got hoodwinked somewhere with those Goodyear RFTs. The Z4M didn't come from the factory with RFTs, only the non-M Z4s had the run flats as OEM tires. If you're looking at Bridgestone's the RE71 is the tire to go with, particularly if you're going to do some autocross events.