ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
1buckyboy3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i e85/e86

Hi all my name is Pete and I have recently bought a 2003 Z4 2.5i e85/86 with 38000 on the clock.

Wonder if any of you could help me as I have a problem that I want to get to the bottom of.

I've had the usual problem with the central locking not working and have since had that repaired. How ever now I seem to have an annoying squeak which I had oringinally thought came from the nearside rear wheel. I'm now not so sure.

A garage has had a look at it, taken the brakes apart and had a general clean up which they said solved the problem but it hasn't.

I'm now under the impression that the noise is not related to the brakes as the it seems more apparent when i'm accelerating and tends to go away when i'm not. I'm not sure how else to describe it, apart from the fact that it is very annoying.

If any of you have any ideas as to what it may be or what is causing it, I would very much appreciate it, thanks,

Pete

Last edited by 1buckyboy3; 07-05-2012 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: original badly worded
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

How can your problem be the brakes when the sound is most noticeable when accelerating?

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
1buckyboy3
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
How can your problem be the brakes when the sound is most noticeable when accelerating?
Sorry I might have worded the post wrong. I thought it was the brakes at first. When the garage did the work and it didn't solve the problem, I noticed that the noise is a lot more obvious under acceleration. That's why I have turned to the forums to see if any one has any idea what might be causing it???
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Do you have any noticeable brake dust build-up on 1 certain wheel than all the others?

It might be a seized caliper?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
1buckyboy3
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Do you have any noticeable brake dust build-up on 1 certain wheel than all the others?

It might be a seized caliper?
Thanks for your reply, that was one of the first things I thought. The garage I took the car to took the brakes apart and cleaned them, checked the caliphers (etc) and said the problem was solved.

Last edited by 1buckyboy3; 07-05-2012 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Lots of options on this one, from very cheap to the more expensive, including rock between pad and rotor, rock between dust shield and rotor, stuck caliper, bad wheel bearing, even a failing output shaft.

How about a little more info on the "squeak"?

Is is rhythmic (as is in squeak, pause, squeak) that decreases in time intervals as the car moves faster? (This might be a rock between the pad and rotor or even the dust shield and rotor.) Rock issues usually resolve themselves (rock crumbles) and if the shop really did take things apart, this is unlikely.

Is there a lot of heat coming off the rotor/brake assembly? Don't touch it--just put your hand up to the wheel and compare to the other side. Most likely a a stuck caliper as already noted by Kgolf.

Is it more noticeable around corners or in turns? And if you jack up the car and get the wheel off the ground is there any play in the wheel itself? (Shouldn't be.) Does is grind or make noise when turned by hand? If so, it's probably a bad wheel bearing (something that should be addressed asap).

Lastly, if it's none of those, it might be the output shaft, cracked CV, etc. Any visible sign of damage or cracks or seal leaks? (Like this.)

Shop should have checked all these possibilities, but since the issue remains, I wonder what they actually did. Either take it back to the shop and tell them to try again, or find another shop.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
1buckyboy3
Registered
Rep

Hi Finnegan, thanks for your help.

The squeak is not rhythmic and it doesn't seem to increase or decrease with speed. It also doesn't change under cornering. The noise is always there when I accelerate although that might sound weird. I have checked and it definitely isn't a rock between the pad or rotor. There is also no heat coming from the brake assembly and when jacked up there isn't any play in the wheel which runs freely and squeak free so I'm confident I can rule out a faulty wheel bearing.

Since you mention a cracked CV I'm starting to wonder if that my be the cause of the problem considering the noise happens when I accelerate. I expect that's one of the expensive options that you mentioned above....typical!!

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1buckyboy3 View Post

The squeak is not rhythmic and it doesn't seem to increase or decrease with speed. It also doesn't change under cornering. The noise is always there when I accelerate although that might sound weird. I have checked and it definitely isn't a rock between the pad or rotor. There is also no heat coming from the brake assembly and when jacked up there isn't any play in the wheel which runs freely and squeak free so I'm confident I can rule out a faulty wheel bearing.

Since you mention a cracked CV I'm starting to wonder if that my be the cause of the problem considering the noise happens when I accelerate. I expect that's one of the expensive options that you mentioned above....typical!!

Thanks again.
When I owned my E46 (325xi) - which are notorious for CV boots, a torn CV boot with dirt inside sounds like a clicking sound, and will only occur during a turn.

I don't think it's that, but you never know. If you have access to an IR gun, drive around and then take samples of each side and compare temperatures.

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #9
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1buckyboy3 View Post

Thanks again.
Have you checked to see if the noise changes at all if you gently apply pressure on the handbake as you are moving at, say 30 mph? If the noise changes, it may just be rust on the parking brake shoes (inside the hat of the rear discs). As per the owners manual, you should apply the handbrake in a safe manner when the car is moving, on a periodic basis. You may also need to adjust or rebuild the parking brake mechanism on one or both sides to get rid of rubbing.
Appreciate 0